Quincy Acy?

PIck up Acy's option?

• Total voters

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Jason Jones ‏@mr_jasonjones 1m
Quincy Acy said he should know by Friday if the Kings will pick up the option on his contract for next season.
------------------------

I don't know about anyone else, but IMHO Acy has more than done enough to merit getting his option picked up. The guy has obviously been working hard on his game. Adding that jumper has been very impressive. I say KEEP HIM!

J

jdbraver

Acy is solid but id go w Moreland. Not a huge problem picking up his option tho. Not super expensive.

I still say that Acy's best chance for a prolonged NBA career is as a "power 3," rather than a "stretch 4." Kind of like a poor man's Abdur-Rahim.
It would be interesting to see them at least experiment with it. I haven't seen any teams that I can recall in recent times, playing with a post 'power' 3.

One of the last guys to do it on a consistent basis, was our very own Corliss Williamson. So we certainly have the coach with experience for it

Don't know if he has the lateral quickness to stay in front of NBA 3s. NBA SF has gotten a ton more athletic from Rahim's SF days 20 years ago
Agree. He also lacks the skills necessary to play the 3. He's an undersized 4 that plays aggressively and may be able to develop a more consistent outside shot.

It would be interesting to see them at least experiment with it. I haven't seen any teams that I can recall in recent times, playing with a post 'power' 3.

One of the last guys to do it on a consistent basis, was our very own Corliss Williamson. So we certainly have the coach with experience for it
He just doens't have any low post game. Corliss had strength and footwork to score in the post. Acy scores on garbage points under the hoop

K

KingMilz

Yeap dude showed his value in the last game after being beyond awful came up with probably the biggest defensive play of the game, he can make game changing plays.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Don't know if he has the lateral quickness to stay in front of NBA 3s. NBA SF has gotten a ton more athletic from Rahim's SF days 20 years ago
True enough: never said he should start, though. Probably wouldn't even make him a "full time" small forward but, as a backup, he'd also be able to have an advantage on the other end, a lot of the time. He doesn't have the quickness to stay in front of most NBA small forwards defensively, but there also aren't many NBA small forwards who could check him down low, and I'm fairly confident that few of the ones who could come off the bench.

He just doens't have any low post game. Corliss had strength and footwork to score in the post. Acy scores on garbage points under the hoop
I'd like to see what he could do against smaller players, who play the 3 position. Lots of people were convinced that he didn't have an outside shot...and he went and worked on that aspect with noticeable improvement

I'd like to see what he could do against smaller players, who play the 3 position. Lots of people were convinced that he didn't have an outside shot...and he went and worked on that aspect with noticeable improvement
He did but those 4 3's were mostly of the stand for 5 seconds and when the big guarding you elects not to chase you out, hit it variety. Not sure he'd have the same luxury against 3's in the regular season. Huge props for putting in the work to actually hit those shots, I just don't think he's a 3. He passes poorly, can't dribble, doesn't defend that well laterally and outside of a few summer league games, hasn't demonstrated an ability to shoot.

Not sure it matters much as his best role is that of workhorse, energy guy that can play 5-10 minutes on slow nights to help bring some passion to a team. Great attitude and personality to have on the team and if he continues to work on his game, who knows.

He did but those 4 3's were mostly of the stand for 5 seconds and when the big guarding you elects not to chase you out, hit it variety. Not sure he'd have the same luxury against 3's in the regular season. Huge props for putting in the work to actually hit those shots, I just don't think he's a 3. He passes poorly, can't dribble, doesn't defend that well laterally and outside of a few summer league games, hasn't demonstrated an ability to shoot.

Not sure it matters much as his best role is that of workhorse, energy guy that can play 5-10 minutes on slow nights to help bring some passion to a team. Great attitude and personality to have on the team and if he continues to work on his game, who knows.
Not just referring to 3 pointers. He made several "mid range" to longer two's with someone right in his face. The made 3's were just a bonus when he was wide open

K

KingMilz

I agree with this, I just think Acy needs to either hang around the rim to crush it in or shoot longer jumpers you don't want him doing anything other than that, Acy is in there to mainly pee off the opposition with talk/physical play and make the odd electric dunk/steal/block which changes the momentum of a game.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Well, the jumper will at least give him something to do. Who knows, maybe he can one day carve out a Tolliver type career. I've always felt we should resign him regardless, because he had the right attitude and was cheap. Maybe not a rousing endorsement, but a sensible one. You need cheap fillers at the end of your bench who work hard and buy in. That's Acy. The problem is that we have thus far failed to clear the bad contract logjam ahead of him at his primary position (no he's not a center), and all of a sudden his bargain 5th big contract does not look like such a bargain if we are already paying 5 bigger ones bigger $$ and have no time or role for Acy because of it. I still absolutely sign him, and keep plugging away at dumping JT/Landry/DWill, but as of right now he's pretty much a practice squad guy until we do something about it.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I still say that Acy's best chance for a prolonged NBA career is as a "power 3," rather than a "stretch 4." Kind of like a poor man's Abdur-Rahim.
I'd agree. And after all, on this current Kings team he only needs to be a better option than Derrick "Disappearing Act" Williams and Travis Outlaw, both of whom should be trade bait with their significantly larger expiring contracts.

Acy and Moreland would be a lot of energy off the bench. And if they are coming in at the forward positions they'd represent solid size too versus coming in as the PF and C respectively.

True enough: never said he should start, though. Probably wouldn't even make him a "full time" small forward but, as a backup, he'd also be able to have an advantage on the other end, a lot of the time. He doesn't have the quickness to stay in front of most NBA small forwards defensively, but there also aren't many NBA small forwards who could check him down low, and I'm fairly confident that few of the ones who could come off the bench.
Yea. Just a matter of if his jump-shot improvement is legit or not. He has 0 ball-skills, but if he can stand still and hit an open 3/jumper, then it's not too big of a deal, especially when we got a top 2 ball-skills C, along with Noah.

I think I'd rather let Brooks get that back-up SF spot. For that same reason where there aren't many SF's who can torch Acy, the same could be said about Brooks in a back-up SF role. And if we project our bench to be something like Ray-Ben-???-Landry-Evans/Acy, then Brooks fills a huge role and need with that unit. I also like the fact that he can fill in at SG, barring some struggles with Ben or Nik.

Two words: WORK ETHIC!
This is the main thought by far. If you really want to make leaps and bounds forward with "culture", you need guys like him as an example of passionate work ethic and how to compete on the floor.

Quincy Acy is a hard working competitor. It's so obvious, that several have referred to him as "ferocious"

gunks

Hall of Famer
I say, yup.

In a perfect world, we'd dump Landry and Dwill for....Anything (is Kenny Thomas still playing, at least he rebounds). Then we would have room for Acy and Moreland. Far cheaper players and just as effective.

I have the feeling PDA wants to hitch his horse to Landry though, even if it means trading the much more useful JT.

i'd take Acy at the 4 next to Cousins over any other PF currently on the Kings roster
Yikes. I think we're getting ahead of ourselves. He's nowhere near that good. We need a better PF next to Cuz. Acy isn't it. He's a 5-10 minutes/game guy tops. Maybe he keeps working on his game but right now, he isn't the defender, rebounder, passer or even scorer we need.

i'm not saying Acy is great, or a long term solution at PF. But rather that the rest of our PF's are no good, and Acy's hustle/rebounding/improved jumper is a nice complement to Cuz for now

i'm not saying Acy is great, or a long term solution at PF. But rather that the rest of our PF's are no good, and Acy's hustle/rebounding/improved jumper is a nice complement to Cuz for now
He's a worse rebounder than anyone but Landry. A worse defender than possibly any. A worse passer than any of them ( Landry isn't a willing passer but he has more passing skill). And his shooting over the course of his career isn't better than anyone but Evans.