Poll: Who Do You Want As Our Next Head Coach?

Who do you want as our next head coach?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I thought it would be interesting to see who fans want as our next head coach. Here are candidates who are available or possibly will be available based on recent rumors/discord. And yes, I'll keep the option of Corbin if you believe this season and training camp is a feasible option.

Thibs and Brooks might become available, or not but I'll include them as options.

I'm also hoping Kings employees read this forum and the answers might give them insight into what fans want or expect in our next coach.

Edit: I forgot Mark Jackson. Would an MOD be kind enough to add him to the poll?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I don't think Jeff Van Gundy has any interest in coaching...he's been out of coaching for quite some time. I don't see Thibs going anywhere but if he were available...he would be my first option. After that, I'd go with George Karl and the rest is filler.

Sadly, Thibs has the least likely chance of landing here. He's basically a rich man's Malone.

Also, any coach that has any type of esteem within the NBA isn't gonna want to coach while listening to Vivek continually whisper ridiculous ideas to him and then hold that crp over his head. Coaches pay attention to how previous coaches were treated. Those that will come here are the ones that need the opportunity or promotion. Those are the ones we don't really want.

I've never seen an owner in any pro sport waste so much good juju so quickly. If you look at it from afar, it's actually incredibly hard to ruin a train that was pretty much driving itself towards relevance, all star berths, an identity, and a new arena. Vivek pretty much took a dump in the honeymoon bed. Kings are toxic again, yay!

I just don't see an established, proven coach (which is what the Kings have desperately needed for over 4 years) coming to this franchise.

2 things make it unlikely:
1) Vivek and PDA obviously don't want a strong-willed coach who will buck their "style" and "vision".

2) With the horrific way the Kings treated (and are still treating with slimy leaks/rumors) Malone, why would any established coach come to work for employers like this?

I keep being reminded about that former Kings' employee (in sales?) that made that comment about "and this is what happens when an organization treats good people the way they did. Karma comes back to bite you."
I just can't stop coming back to that - it's the kind of statement someone would only say (IMO) if it was absolute truth.
And the kind of organization who that comment applies to is one that (I fear) will slime their way through any number of delusional catastrophic mistakes, and be unable to comprehend why they keep happening.

I know it's probably not the most popular pick but I really think Brooks would be great here.

As unimaginative OKC's offense is, Scott have a lot of things we need:

1. He is very good with players- a lot of reporters claim he is still the head coach because of his close relationship with the players and his control in the locker room, I think we all saw the importance of that after Malone was fired.

2. track record of developing talent- KD was bound to be a star. but although a lot of the credit need to go to the GM for drafting the fact that 3 of the guys he coached (KD, Westbrook. Harden) are now considered top 10 players, Ibaka became one of the best PF, Adams became a legit starter at center coming in incredibly raw, Jackson looks like a starting PG and guys like Roberson all the sudden looking like ok roleplayers should be considered as one of his greater successes.

3. good defense- OKC under him showed good defense, though he is no Thibs, he has done a good job on that end.

4. who said simple was bad? after all that NBA 3.0 talk- i'd like a coach who will play a simple style to our strengthes instead inforcing a system that doesn't fit our roster.

5. he might be actually available

Brooks is not a great coach, you may call it a filler, but I see Brooks as the type of coach who will take you in a positive direction but only to a certain level.
he is not a X's and O's genius but he is very good at uniting a team and developing talent- and I think on this stage that's what we need.
In time we could reconsider the coaching job but with this current roster I really don't think having a great innovator will change a whole lot.
what we need is someone that will be able to build a functional and committed group, and I truly believe he could do that- and who knows- he is still young as a coach maybe he'll get more creative later on.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Sadly, Thibs has the least likely chance of landing here. He's basically a rich man's Malone.

Also, any coach that has any type of esteem within the NBA isn't gonna want to coach while listening to Vivek continually whisper ridiculous ideas to him and then hold that crp over his head. Coaches pay attention to how previous coaches were treated. Those that will come here are the ones that need the opportunity or promotion. Those are the ones we don't really want.

I've never seen an owner in any pro sport waste so much good juju so quickly. If you look at it from afar, it's actually incredibly hard to ruin a train that was pretty much driving itself towards relevance, all star berths, an identity, and a new arena. Vivek pretty much took a dump in the honeymoon bed. Kings are toxic again, yay!
Oh, dear, a new line for VF21.

I'll take anyone with a proven track record, who seems like they may be able to reach the players.

I don't like anyone in particular, just please have at least 5 years of experience, and some success.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Here's one reason an established coach would take the Kings job.......money! I mean Karl is on record as wanting the job and he's about as established as they come. And here's a bonus reason why an established coach would take the job.....Cousins.

Thibs would be a pipe dream.

I want George Karl, but the NEXT HEAD COACH OF THE SACRAMENTO KINGS WILL BE CHRIS MULLIN.

I think that has been the plan all along.

Get one more high lotto draft pick and give Mully a full off season to assemble a coaching staff and have a full training camp.

We can only hope that Mully will be more along the lines of George Karl than Don Nelson as a head coach.

The poll left off an obvious #2 choice after Chris Mullin for the FO, Mike D'Antoni.

Nobody pushes the PACE like Mike Antoni. Antoni becasue "D" or defense is optional in his game plan.

Perfect for PDA and Vivek's NBA 3.0.

In order of preference,

Tom Thibodeau
Jeff Van Gundy
George Karl
Nate McMillan

Thibs would be a home run but unfortunately the stage is set for Chris Mullin to take over in the off-season. We are about to become even bigger laughing stock than we already are.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The poll left off an obvious #2 choice after Chris Mullin for the FO, Mike D'Antoni.

Nobody pushes the PACE like Mike Antoni. Antoni becasue "D" or defense is optional in his game plan.

Perfect for PDA and Vivek's NBA 3.0.
Sweet mother of god. If this happens, I will probably gouge my eyes out.

In order of preference,

Tom Thibodeau
Jeff Van Gundy
George Karl
Nate McMillan

Thibs would be a home run but unfortunately the stage is set for Chris Mullin to take over in the off-season. We are about to become even bigger laughing stock than we already are.
man, Van Gundy would be great. if nothing else, at least his interviews would be entertaining