PDA on the way out??

Status
Not open for further replies.
If someone told me two months ago that Mullin and D'Alessandro would be gone by June, I'd have kissed them. Sure hope it is true - those guys were poison. The cherry on the sundae is if Leslie Moore is gone too (she seems to be). Vivek's three worst minions, all gone. Good deal - lets all start over.

This was entirely predictable.

Knew he'd follow Mullin anywhere.

Funny, no significant leaks for weeks, until the weasel is involved. A real shocker here.

Mullin and PDA are going to escape without getting fired. Amazing really.

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I questioned every move D'Alessandro made up until the beginning of this season when the Kings (after a first game beatdown by the soon-to-be champion Warriors) had a really strong start. Then I was ready to drop my criticism of him as a general manager because it sure looked to me like he built an ideal roster for Mike Malone's style of basketball. When Malone was fired and PDA claimed it was because they weren't playing the style of ball he envisioned I realized that D'Alessandro's didn't even understand the team that he'd built and lost faith in him completely.

D'Alessandro got Peter Principled into a GM job and that was a mistake but I honestly would have no issue with him staying on in an assisting role provided that he was actually onboard with the rest of the front office. The people that make up the front office should obviously be allowed to challenge ideas & strategies behind closed doors but when decisions are made they should be made with one voice and everyone on the same page. Vivek shouldn't be overruling draft picks, the GM shouldn't be plotting to get the coach fired and the players should see that there is a solid plan and commitment to improving the team.

I don't think D'Alessandro necessarily has to go, but if he wants to leave I'm fine with that too.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
bratz is last of the mohicans. vlade should be able to bring in his own team soon.
I don't see any reason to get rid of Bratz. Academic all-American at Stanford, a nine year NBA player, a former assistant coach, former scout, former director of player personnel - he's got a ton of experience and has always been lauded as a hard worker at each of his stops.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
I think PDA has the requisite skills to be a great AD at a school like St. John's. I hope his potential future employers see this as well, and offer him the job.

J

jdbraver

If someone told me two months ago that Mullin and D'Alessandro would be gone by June, I'd have kissed them. Sure hope it is true - those guys were poison. The cherry on the sundae is if Leslie Moore is gone too (she seems to be). Vivek's three worst minions, all gone. Good deal - lets all start over.
Pretty sure Leslie Moore doesn't make bball decisions.

I questioned every move D'Alessandro made up until the beginning of this season when the Kings (after a first game beatdown by the soon-to-be champion Warriors) had a really strong start. Then I was ready to drop my criticism of him as a general manager because it sure looked to me like he built an ideal roster for Mike Malone's style of basketball. When Malone was fired and PDA claimed it was because they weren't playing the style of ball he envisioned I realized that D'Alessandro's didn't even understand the team that he'd built and lost faith in him completely.

D'Alessandro got Peter Principled into a GM job and that was a mistake but I honestly would have no issue with him staying on in an assisting role provided that he was actually onboard with the rest of the front office. The people that make up the front office should obviously be allowed to challenge ideas & strategies behind closed doors but when decisions are made they should be made with one voice and everyone on the same page. Vivek shouldn't be overruling draft picks, the GM shouldn't be plotting to get the coach fired and the players should see that there is a solid plan and commitment to improving the team.

I don't think D'Alessandro necessarily has to go, but if he wants to leave I'm fine with that too.
WELL SAID. My thoughts exactly.

Wow. I'm not a fan of PDA based upon some of his plans / moves ... but taking the only person with real GM work experience out of a front office with Vlade (no relevant on-job experience), Bratz (lifer second or third banana, who is more of a scout), Oliver (data guy), and Vivek ... who has no issues about pushing / intervening on things he knows very little about is more than a little spooky.

Sure, they will make a move if PDA leaves but when the front office was rolled out 6 weeks ago a lot of folks here were saying "Well, I'm not sure this mix makes perfect sense, but I'm guessing there is another move coming to complete this puzzle (a KF staple) / I bet we've already found a young but experienced basketball operations person on another team and we are just waiting for their season to end to make the hire official. But, nope. This is our front office right now.

To me, Vivek has set up a front office that: (1) has a bunch of second and third tier staff, who won't mind listening to all of his stupid questions (Instead, of asking for some space to let them do their job and then they can bring him things to approve or decline); (2) will protect him from the heat he's already facing and his upcoming stupid moves because folks love Vlade and will both back him and give him the benefit of the doubt for 2 years. That makes a ton of sense for him, but otherwise has a lot of red flags and possible issues. I get folks want the team to do well and love Vlade, but this front office might not be staffed well.

If PDA leaves, we are such a mess and a joke that I think it's going to be hard for us to find somebody to come in and do the laboring oar of our basketball operations work, while being dependent upon both Vivek and Vlade to see and make the correct move and follow his advice. You are also signing up for a job where you'll probably be forced to trade Cousins in 2 years and both the owner and fans are going to be upset the team didn't "do more to keep him."

Bratz is probably gone too as he was a part of the Mullin/Pete crew. But who knows maybe this is just being floated out their to Woj as a sort of a power play before the draft as Pete has a history of weaseling and creating factions in the FO. All of the toxicity of last year needs to be removed and a fresh start is needed. The problem with that is Vivek has made the same mistake as before with hiring a coach before a GM. We will continue in a losing cycle until unity and experience is brought to the FO.

Wow. I'm not a fan of PDA based upon some of his plans / moves ... but taking the only person with real GM work experience out of a front office with Vlade (no relevant on-job experience), Bratz (lifer second or third banana, who is more of a scout), Oliver (data guy), and Vivek ... who has no issues about pushing / intervening on things he knows very little about is more than a little spooky.

Sure, they will make a move if PDA leaves but when the front office was rolled out 6 weeks ago a lot of folks here were saying "Well, I'm not sure this mix makes perfect sense, but I'm guessing there is another move coming to complete this puzzle (a KF staple) / I bet we've already found a young but experienced basketball operations person on another team and we are just waiting for their season to end to make the hire official. But, nope. This is our front office right now.

To me, Vivek has set up a front office that: (1) has a bunch of second and third tier staff, who won't mind listening to all of his stupid questions (Instead, of asking for some space to let them do their job and then they can bring him things to approve or decline); (2) will protect him from the heat he's already facing and his upcoming stupid moves because folks love Vlade and will both back him and give him the benefit of the doubt for 2 years. That makes a ton of sense for him, but otherwise has a lot of red flags and possible issues. I get folks want the team to do well and love Vlade, but this front office might not be staffed well.

If PDA leaves, we are such a mess and a joke that I think it's going to be hard for us to find somebody to come in and do the laboring oar of our basketball operations work, while being dependent upon both Vivek and Vlade to see and make the correct move and follow his advice. You are also signing up for a job where you'll probably be forced to trade Cousins in 2 years and both the owner and fans are going to be upset the team didn't "do more to keep him."
You might be wrong. I'll wait until Tuesday.

what are we currently...?

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member

We're better off with inexperience if our "experienced GM" is PDA.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
There is NEVER a good reason to keep an incompetent in place ESPECIALLY an important position. PDA leaving is important for this team to move forward, perhaps Vladie may not be the guy take over at GM but I cant believe that Karl, Vladie and Bratz cannot find a better replacement AND take the team forward.

gunks

Hall of Famer
PDA's only "real GM" work experience is a crappy mix of being a yes man, a snake in the grass, and an inept bumbler. He had his shot and he blew it.

When he came out saying something to the effect of "I think our roster is complete, we'll stand pat" when we had our early success, despite the fact that it was glaringly obvious that our bench was a steaming pile of poop and our success was all thanks to Cousins and Malone, I lost faith.

Never mind all his weaseling and back stabbing...

Vlade is well respected in this league, and has applicable experience. Every amazing GM had to start somewhere. Unknowns are scary. But we know what PDA was about, and it wasnt anything positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.