No More Temple

Didn't take long to sour my first impression of Garrett Temple - a few minutes really. Guy is 2nd rate at best. At least give the young draft picks Richardson and Cousins a try. Temple looks poor, and for $24 million / 3 seasons? Horrible transaction.

I still think it was a bad deal. Temple's contract doesn't make much sense. He's a guy who doesn't really give us much on offense, but IS solid on defense. Definitely not worth $8million a year.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Temple is what he is, a defensive player. He should not be a starter for your team, unless you have intentions on being a lottery team again. He should play in small spurts to come in and play some solid defense and knock down open shots if the opportunity presents itself, anything else is asking too much.

You guys are going off the deep end. You do realize that he's not a PG and just a shooting guard who has some handles right? In that Golden State game it was him and Barnes that brought us back in the game against their regular rotation. But yeah let's judge a guys entire career based on 1 preaseasom game played out of position against one of the best point guards of the last decade.

Temple wasn't signed to be the team's PG. He was singed for his defense and utility. He has to play PG because of the Collison suspension. He is struggling at it, but that doesn't mean he has no value. Let him mix in with others, defend and shoot threes and you get what you paid him to do.

If we can get our pg situation stable he can focus on defense at the 2 or even 3.

We've been asking for a good wing defender here for years, well he is here now. Hopefully he is put in a position to be what he is good at.

gunks

Hall of Famer
We have 8 games to weather sans Collison, and Temple may be called upon to do too much.

After that, I reckon Temple will be a valuable role player for us.

I aint trippin'!

Temple is more of a 3 and D guy he can knock down the open jumper, and play solid D. He does need collision, Farmar, or Lawson on the court with him though

I like him. I'm not sure how effectively he was used in preseason. It seemed like that Clippers game was about as feet to the fire as you can get since it looked like he'd spent most of his time with the garbage time crew up to that point in this preseason.

I still think it was a bad deal. Temple's contract doesn't make much sense. He's a guy who doesn't really give us much on offense, but IS solid on defense. Definitely not worth $8million a year.
This isn't true. $8 mil a year is basically the standard rate for a solid rotational player at this point, which Temple is. Temple is also a guy who highlights star players gifts, not necessarily creates anything on his own. Get him some run with Lawson, Gay, Boogie, Casspi, WCS type lineups and he'll be fine.

Also, a big "I told you so" to anyone who thought we could give him PG minutes. Dude is an emergency PG only... keep him as the swingman at the 2 and 3 where he's more effective.

Didn't take long to sour my first impression of Garrett Temple - a few minutes really. Guy is 2nd rate at best. At least give the young draft picks Richardson and Cousins a try. Temple looks poor, and for $24 million / 3 seasons? Horrible transaction.
Don't agree with you. We are building a team. Let's let the team play.

Someone said Farmar might be unpacking his bags after the Lawson incident.. He might be unpacking them after seeing Temple at PG
I'd think the ethical thing would be to let people go as soon as possible, unless you are in some serious trade discussions.

Maybe Farmar gets a deep seat on our bench this year.

If you are a league Pass subscriber you might consider watching some Wizards games during the Beal and Wall injuries to get a better idea , Who Garret Temple is. Unless he takes a step back now as he has achieved long term financial security we got our hands on a very solid, versatile role player. 8 millions may seem a bit too much, but I expect him to be one of our better additions of this years FA.

If you are a league Pass subscriber you might consider watching some Wizards games during the Beal and Wall injuries to get a better idea , Who Garret Temple is. Unless he takes a step back now as he has achieved long term financial security we got our hands on a very solid, versatile role player. 8 millions may seem a bit too much, but I expect him to be one of our better additions of this years FA.
And he seems like the furthest guy in the world from having that mentality. Guys who have had to scratch and claw to stay in this league have some of the best work ethics in the NBA because they don't have the overwhelming talent to stay afloat. Something we've had to type a lot in Game Threads the last few years is "Everyone on this team just gave up." Don't think we'll be saying that much with Temple.

And he seems like the furthest guy in the world from having that mentality. Guys who have had to scratch and claw to stay in this league have some of the best work ethics in the NBA because they don't have the overwhelming talent to stay afloat. Something we've had to type a lot in Game Threads the last few years is "Everyone on this team just gave up." Don't think we'll be saying that much with Temple.
I agree with your take. Also I think it applies to Barnes, Tolliver and of course Casspi. None of these guys made it without lots of hard work.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'm not sure how you can judge anyone by a few preseason games. True, he didn't look good in his one start, but so what? Does anyone think you can just throw out five players and expect them to play up to whatever potential they have when they haven't really played together before? Sorry folks, it doesn't work that way. I pay very little attention to preseason results.

I'm not sure how you can judge anyone by a few preseason games. True, he didn't look good in his one start, but so what? Does anyone think you can just throw out five players and expect them to play up to whatever potential they have when they haven't really played together before? Sorry folks, it doesn't work that way. I pay very little attention to preseason results.
Let's be honest , if we judged players strictly off of Summer League and pre-season , then Quincy Douby would have been a star