NBL Next Stars

The NBL has returned to free to air TV in Aus and I've resolved to actually watch some games again. For fun, I thought I would share thoughts on the NBL Next Stars I see, who may be draft possibilities this year or next. For reference, both Josh Giddey and Lamelo Ball are Next Star alumni.

Anyway, first game I watched was Sydney Kings (Alex Toohey) v Adelaide 36ers (Trenton Flowers).

Toohey. For context, Sydney rates itself as one of the better teams in the league, will be aiming for a championship, and has a few individuals gunning for an NBA opportunity. The team moves the ball well, spaces the court, and tries to get down hill off pick and rolls. Toohey is a starter and mostly plays an off ball/ 5th option role.

Physically I think he measures a little over 6'6. He definitely doesn't look/ play bigger than that and right now his position would be 2 guard. He's pretty slight and the physical difference vs other NBL players was notable. But, he doesn't shy away from contact and will get stronger with time. He's quick-ish, but not explosive. He was at the stripe at the end of the first and a bit short of breath.

On offence, Toohey moves well without the ball. He sets screens, will roll into space or slip a screen and cut to the rim. When he cut, he didn't finish super well with contact, but think that will come with strength and he did get to the line. He did attack off the dribble and did show some change of direction with a functional level handle.Toohey doesn't over dribble or stop the ball and made relatively quick decisions in the scheme of the offence. He had a couple of nice but unspectacular passes. I didn't see his jumper but he had some moments with good touch and his free throw form was solid.

On defence, the application is there but the ability is not yet there. He has some plays were he gets down into a good defensive stance but didn't do this consistently. He doesn't yet navigate screens well, some of which is because he's still pretty slight physically. He did get attacked one vs one a few times and was beat by more athletic players. He does moves with his hands up, challenged a shot or two, and got a deflection or two.

Overall I think it's a bit too soon to say what he can be. He seems like a smart player who needs a bit of time to mature physically before he can assert himself on the game more.

Trenton Flowers. Context. His team sucks. The coach was an accomplished player in the NBL around the time of Sac King's golden years but seems to be under a bit of pressure as a coach. The team had moments where they played good ball, but a lot of the game was matador defence and one pass, quick three offence. Not Flowers' fault. He started on the bench and played 10 minutes. The team was not worse with him in.

Physically he has a nice frame and good size for a guard. He looks like a good athlete, but seems more smooth than explosive. He has a bit of teenager/ Carmelo in his body language but not in a bad attitude way.

On offence he played off ball in a role that was a bit undefined. This seems like it might be bit of a learning curve for him. Right now he's not going to earn money as an off ball player.

On defence, he didn't navigate screens that well. He did challenge a few shots after rotating to help, which resulted in fouling. He did show some fight for a loose ball but it was a ball that was in his area. It looks like it's the first time he's had to play D at this level, which would be hard on that team.

It's hard to say what his strengths are based just on this game. It's a jury is out, how does he respond to this challenge, what is his learning experience, how does he assert himself situation. He doesn't have the same opportunity as Giddey, who was given the keys to a bad Adelaide team, which was made to go along with it. I'm rooting for him though and will try to catch a game or two of his later in the year for comparison.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Definitely take a look at center Alexandre Sarr of Perth when you get a chance. I caught one of the Perth games when they were playing against the G-League and this kid has something special going. All the tools at 7'1". Looks like a lotto guy to me.

Alex Sarr. Perth Wildcats vs Sydney Kings Round 3.

Context. Perth – to the extent I can tell – has started the season with championship ambitions (but if this game is anything to go by this is unrealistic). Sarr is being used as a body to play 4/5 off the bench while their guards take most of the offensive opportunities.

Physically Sarr is as tall and as long as anything. He’s not that strong yet and some of Sydney’s more muscular guys were able to push him around without much trouble. His movement is interesting – at times – without the ball – he looks a little uncoordinated/ Gumby-ish and maybe unsure. But ball in hand he looked smooth.

Defensively I would have expected someone with his height and length to give Sydney fits. But he didn’t deter them at all. They attacked the rim without much doubt whether he was in or not. He didn’t change many shots nor was he in position to change that many. It doesn’t look like he is anticipating plays that well or understanding where to be – but Perth’s team defence was poor throughout – and I think this will improve with time. He is not a strong rebounder at this stage – but I think this comes from physical strength more than effort. You can see him box out on each possession, he’s just too light not to get pushed out of the way.

Sarr wasn’t intentionally featured on offence, and I thought this was a shame. Most possessions he floated around the perimeter moving the ball or setting screens. He moves the ball well on the perimeter and there is no tendency to get sticky hands and call a Marvin Bagley audible. His screens are not Sabonis screens – he is too light – but they are an improvement on Bagley screens as there is some commitment there.

As a plus – Sarr shined more when he did something deliberate. In the first half, when Perth’s point guard was under a full court press, Sarr took the ball up and transformed into a very smooth looking wing for about 5 dribbles. On a post up play, he didn’t have a good shot, but fired a cross court pass to an open man on the perimeter. In the second half, he pivoted into a contested 15-foot baseline jumper that was nothing but net. He also had a smooth dribble drive from the perimeter with a nice dish to his man who got fouled taking an easy shot. His touch is good when he doesn’t need strength to hold position or finish and his lightness becomes an advantage on the perimeter. I saw him take one three that was short, but his form looked OK.

Pretty mixed bag overall for me. If he were in the NBA today, the only teams that would give him playing time would be those happily destined for a top 5 pick. But he is young, it’s the third game of the season with a new team, in a new country, playing with people who are a lot older and more developed. His strength will improve considerably over the course of the year and beyond. Things might also start to click for him defensively as the year goes on. I rate him as a four more than a five. I think at this stage the NBL next stars looks like a good developmental opportunity more than a showcase opportunity.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Definitely take a look at center Alexandre Sarr of Perth when you get a chance. I caught one of the Perth games when they were playing against the G-League and this kid has something special going. All the tools at 7'1". Looks like a lotto guy to me.
I like Sarr a lot. He's a freak athlete and he has some skills. He's a possible 1st pick in the draft, depending on how his season goes. His potential is through the roof.

I gave up on this but give we now have a draft pick again - if there is anyone to watch from the NBL say their name and I will try to revisit a game or two of theirs...