[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (JAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was in favor of potentially dealing Fox for Simmons to pair him with Haliburton. I can't say how glad I am that it never happened.

Wow. I know a lot of it is injuries, but has another player fallen this far, this fast? I mean, there's Derrick Rose going from MVP to role player, but that was a career altering injury. This just seems like a streak of minor ailments and a complete breakdown in confidence.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Huh? Is there even a rationale for that trade besides, "I don't like the cut of De'Aaron Fox's jib"?
In hindsight? No.

At the time?

Fox was playing some of his worst basketball since his rookie season, looked a step slow, and Tyrese definitely looked like the better building block.

Simmons (at the time) wasn't far removed from being a multi-time all-star and defensive first team player.

Is Fox better than Haliburton? Maybe, though I'd probably give the nod to Tyrese.

Is Sabonis better than what Fox likely would have fetched at the time? Probably, but who knows.

Had the Kings decided to keep Haliburton and trade Fox, Simmons was a potential name that was floated. Obviously that would have been a disaster. But it wasn't nearly as apparent at the time

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Simmons (at the time) wasn't far removed from being a multi-time all-star and defensive first team player.
It can take a lot of time for the shine to rub off of a straight-up consensus #1 overall pick, particularly when it's not that he's playing poorly so much as that he just isn't playing. At this point the idea of Fox for Simmons is an obvious "hell no!" but at the time I think most around here were more in the camp of "no...no, I don't think so...but I can squint and see it working out..."

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
It can take a lot of time for the shine to rub off of a straight-up consensus #1 overall pick, particularly when it's not that he's playing poorly so much as that he just isn't playing.
Perhaps the disconnect is that, for me, there was never any shine there to be rubbed off in the first place. Whatever it was that people saw in that guy, I never did, not even once. They told me that he couldn't even lead LSU to the tournament in a multi-bid league, and I was like, "Say less."

Status
Not open for further replies.