Malone's firing - the poll

How do you feel about Malone's firing?

• Happy!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
in between the first two. its not the end of the world but it could be the beginning of the end and back to consistent mediocrity if

a) vivek hires a dud in his push for smallball ie. smith, mullin
b) vivek keeps meddling

ahh the growing pains of having a new owner

G

GQ_Gabriel

Don't really agree with the wording of those options, I think it would have been a fairer representation to have a numerical scale so that options aren't swayed by various adjectives. But I'm treating it like a scale, and I sure as hell don't feel any better about it now. Absolutely idiotic move.
I completely disagree. I think that the wording of all options is right on point.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Don't really agree with the wording of those options, I think it would have been a fairer representation to have a numerical scale so that options aren't swayed by various adjectives. But I'm treating it like a scale, and I sure as hell don't feel any better about it now. Absolutely idiotic move.
If you insist on a numeric equivalent, using 1 for really hate it to 5 for really love it, then the poll options are in order (top to bottom) from 1 to 5. No poll is perfect. I think most people will be able to get an idea of how most of us feel, however, based on the responses and that's why I created it.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Okay, now that the dust has settled, how do you feel?
Dusty! And I do agree with Dime Dropper. Words mean something, and everyone has their own way of wording how they feel. In other words, no matter how you word it, someone is going to disagree. Use a scale of one to ten, and most can pretty accurately define their feelings

Dusty! And I do agree with Dime Dropper. Words mean something, and everyone has their own way of wording how they feel. In other words, no matter how you word it, someone is going to disagree. Use a scale of one to ten, and most can pretty accurately define their feelings
Agreed. The wording is silly.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Can you at least edit out the "doomed" and "end of the world" part?

I think that marginalizes the poll and I don't believe is an argument many, if any are making.

I agree. A 1-5 or 1-10 numbered poll, just strongly agree to strongly disagree probably gives the best picture.

I completely disagree. I think that the wording of all options is right on point.
Of course you do, that's because wording is subjective, and you share the same perspective as VF.

If you insist on a numeric equivalent, using 1 for really hate it to 5 for really love it, then the poll options are in order (top to bottom) from 1 to 5. No poll is perfect. I think most people will be able to get an idea of how most of us feel, however, based on the responses and that's why I created it.
I wasn't insisting, I just think it would have made for a more accurate view on how people feel. For example, just because someone feels this move was 100% idiotic, it doesn't necessarily mean that person thinks we're doomed. A numerical equivalent would have been more objective, that's all.

I voted end of the world but really a tick down from there. The actual move of firing Malone doesn't bother me so much as to the reasons why (based on the roster) and PDA saying things like wins and losses don't matter and talking about how they want style.

Also the fact that they have not already hired George Karl tells you all you need to know. Had they hired Karl right away it would have been an improvement over Malone but clearly this isn't about coaching ability it's about having a puppet coach who will try gimmicks and lead the league in style.

Style is fine when you win (as the old Kings did) but when you put style over winning that's turrriiiibbbblllleee

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
You never do know about a person's character until you see them in moments like these. I would say that PDA can stick it where the sun don't shine, but alas, I'm afraid that space is already occupied by his little bald head.

Whether its doom or not depends on multiple factors yet to be determined, mostly whether the grand "plan" as articulated is brought to full fruition or not. And of course by Cuz's reaction -- you surely wouldn't be able to fire MY coach if I were your franchise player without major consequences. The slow rolling doom of this thing could play out in three years when we get to see how Minny fans felt during Lovegate, Orlando fans felt during Howardgate etc.

Now if the Thick Three were to board a fateful cruise for a three hour tour, and the tiny ship were to get tossed, of course its salvageable. Of course. Cuz is still here, the team is still here. You could snap, go hire George Karl, quit meddling, and things would probably work out fine. The problem is this was just the beginning. The opening salvo in the damage the nimwits want to inflict. The "doom" isn't Malone getting fired. The potential "doom" is the same it was during the Maloof years -- having idiots helming the ship going forward. This was just a brutal and damaging opening display.

I voted end of the world but really a tick down from there. The actual move of firing Malone doesn't bother me so much as to the reasons why (based on the roster) and PDA saying things like wins and losses don't matter and talking about how they want style.

Also the fact that they have not already hired George Karl tells you all you need to know. Had they hired Karl right away it would have been an improvement over Malone but clearly this isn't about coaching ability it's about having a puppet coach who will try gimmicks and lead the league in style.

Style is fine when you win (as the old Kings did) but when you put style over winning that's turrriiiibbbblllleee

EXACTLY my thoughts. If it were just as simple as Malone being fired and a replacement lined up, i don't think many people would be freaking out. But the way the FO has handled this and their follow up comments have just been gut punches

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
The problem is this was just the beginning. The opening salvo in the damage the nimwits want to inflict. The "doom" isn't Malone getting fired. The potential "doom" is the same it was during the Maloof years -- having idiots helming the ship going forward. This was just a brutal and damaging opening display.
Yup. The doom scenario stems from this possibly getting a fair amount worse. Could have Karl signed tomorrow, get him in here, PDA/Vivek learn a lesson and we regroup and attempt to get a good thing going again.

Or, we waste this season completely with Ty. Bring in Mullin or another coach with little clout and next year goes poorly too. Then you worry about both Cuz and Rudy, possibly losing one or both and having to start another rebuild. You worry about free agents doing anything possible to stay away from a FO and owner who can't get out of their own way.

We could still enter the new arena a playoff team with Cuz as the foundation, flying high, or we could enter the new arena having miscalculated and blown up the biggest opportunity this franchise/city has ever see, with Cuz on the way out, Rudy as well or just not caring, a roster gutted of talent as everyone wants to stay clear and not having a halfway decent coach as any coach with credibility already pursued other options, or would just rather wait for anything but Sac.

Pretty much. I voted the first option because I hate it but "we're doomed" isn't exactly my outlook.

My outlook is more along the lines that we'll limp along with yet another interim head coach until the season ends and then we'll likely see Corbin axed in part because there's apparently a delusional belief that this roster is a powerhouse but mainly so D'Alessandro can pick his new coach.

At that point it depends on the choice. If he picks a great coach then maybe there's another growth season and THEN a playoff push.

If he picks a terrible coach (and I would wager nearly anything that Mullin would be a terrible coach) then we'll see two more seasons of ineptitude and another rebuild.

I don't think this firing is the end of the world. I just think it's a waste of a season that began with a very promising start.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
It's not lost on me what is likely to happen, based mostly on Cuz's sheer talent if healthy, is we do regroup to an extent, do make a run at the 8th spot, fall short, then see Ty fired.

I actually see us firing two coaches who get a decent run going this year. Then starting all over again. SMFH.

Unfortunately, none of the poll options work for me.

Right now, if things stay the same and Corbin is our coach for the rest of the year and is then fired as expected...it's cataclysmic doom.

If we hire Karl in the next month, then it will be something that I am not happy about how it was handled, but understand the intentions of bringing in a coach who is a proven NBA winner.

So I am willing to make a judgement and my two positions are either: Doom or Unhappy but Understanding.s

Poll will make far more sense in 6 weeks.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
If nothing else, I don't think you can do a poll with 10 options. Haven't checked in a while though.

I voted for the second option, with my opinion on various facets varying between 1-3 depending on what happens next. Just a stupid, stupid thing to do at this time. If we end up getting Karl and he gets us into the PO this year (or at least racing for the 8 seed) and he and Boogie get along splendidly, then I think this season would have been somewhat salvaged. But unless Malone couldn't get back to their winning ways after Boogie returns, I still think he deserved the right to finish the season.

I'd rather have a multiple option poll, rather than being forced to pick one. I'd say the following:

1- Malone did not deserve to be fired. The starting 5 played great, Ben has come a HUGE way since last year, Gay is playing efficient, and Thompson is gelling.

2- Malone has showed a lot of weakness. Where he deserves credit for the starting 5 playing well, we deserves blame for mismanaging the bench, both in blowing winnable games with a healthy roster as well as going on an extended losing streak against the worst teams in the league. Where he deserves credit for great team defense, he deserves blame being unable to find a way to limit Boogie's fouls. How great can we call his defense if he's been unable to keep Demarcus out of foul trouble??

3- the FO should be rightfully criticized for making this move without a new coach in the wings ready to take over. Vivek should personally take heat for not assembling a team that was on the same page from day one.

4- the FO deserves a ton of credit for rebuilding this team. Keys to our resurgence are: 1- trading for Gay, 2- signing DC, 3- keeping JT. Omri was a good addition. They've added big bodies to throw out and absorb fouls (Hollins, Acy, DWill). It's on Malone for not mixing them in well enough to help out Cuz. Giving up a few more baskets with subpar defenders is, in my mind, a better option than letting Cuz take fouls and losing him for 10/15 minutes per game.

5- the collective board aneurism about Vivek needs to stop. Calling him a GOlden state fan boy is one of the dumber things I've seen around here, if for nothing other than the fact that Vivek sided with the guy who wasn't from Oakland. Also, the stuff Bout run n gun or 4 on 5 is sheer stupidity. There is nothing coming out of the FO to indicate any of that. Saying they fired Malone over style is diplomatic. If they actually wanted to throw him under the bus they'd just say he sucked with the bench, had poor rotations, and lost a bunch of winnable games, enough so far that pretty much eliminated us from the playoffs. PR, people.

Finally, we weren't gonna make the playoffs after that losing streak. Keeping a 9-6 pace or whatever against the best teams wasn't gonna cut it. I don't think Malone should have been fired, but it is reasonable to cut him now if you know he's not the guy for the future. We have 3 more years locked in with this core. Better to change now and have time to build up the right way.

It's only doom if this falls apart and disenfranchises Cousins.

Full Confession: If Malone went to say New Orleans and fixed their defensive woes, and pushed them into the playoffs, I would feel a vindictive bit of joy even if it was for a playoff spot rival. For the future of the Kings, I think it's good for management to have a failure that gives them a reality check. Some of the stuff they've been saying ("anyone can run") is sort of disastrous if left to fester.

It's only doom if this falls apart and disenfranchises Cousins.

Full Confession: If Malone went to say New Orleans and fixed their defensive woes, and pushed them into the playoffs, I would feel a vindictive bit of joy even if it was for a playoff spot rival. For the future of the Kings, I think it's good for management to have a failure that gives them a reality check. Some of the stuff they've been saying ("anyone can run") is sort of disastrous if left to fester.
i agree. part of me hopes they lose the next 10 games so they realize maybe they aren't smarter than the rest of the NBA world and stop trying to be in charge

Oh and the fact that it appears that they have done this move with no intentions or game plan of replacing Malone, and just riding out the rest of the season with Corbin, is ****ing ridiculous

None of choices offered were my feelings. If the management thought it needed to be done then good, it's done. Feel bad for Malone, hope the team copes well, Corbin should help the team get through it OK, hope it is a positive experience for Corbin. There are no guilty parties in this. These changes, unfortunatly, have to happen and do too often for us fans and the players.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Agreed. The poll options are not neutral enough for me to participate.

From my perspective the odds are that we're doomed. I can only envision 3 possible outcomes:
1- Analytics/moneyball/NBA 3.0 is a success and the situation stabilizes.
2- Analytics/moneyball/NBA 3.0 is unsuccessful and PDA is fired. We probably need to rid ourselves of PDA, however, getting rid of a GM comes with it's own negative consequences.
3- Analytics/moneyball/ NBA 3.0 is unsuccessful and yet Vivek, having based all of his basketball philosophy off of it, is unable to admit to himself that he has been in the wrong and makes no real changes.

Only 1 in 3 outcomes improves our situation over the next 2 years.