Kings Sign Duje Dukan

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/238814/Kings-Agree-To-Contract-With-Duje-Dukan
The Sacramento Kings have agreed to a deal with undrafted Wisconsin forward Duje Dukan, league sources told RealGM on Monday.

Dukan's deal with the Kings will contain guarantees, sources said.

Over five summer league games with the Kings, Dukan averaged 9.2 points and 2.4 rebounds while shooting 41.7 percent from three-point land (10-of-24).

Dukan, a native of Croatia who attended high school in Deerfield, Ill., played four collegiate seasons at Wisconsin. The 6-foot-10 big man was a redshirt as a junior.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Sactown Royalty says there is at least some guaranteed $$$, but the amount isn't known. I would think you are correct - training camp or possibly off to Reno?

Without any further info immediately forthcoming, I would assume this is a training camp deal.
Edit - NoBonus beat me to it while I was typing!

His stroke is pure and he's well coached. I could see him getting on the team ahead of Moreland. Moreland is pretty irrelevant with WCS and Koufos in the fold.
There is no point of not keeping Moreland, unless we sign a legit 4th bigman.

Moreland still has a lot of upside, worse case, you send him to Reno for more PT or try to trade him to Denver for a 2nd rounder.

An active big men that can block shots and rebound can always find a place on a good bench.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Without any further info immediately forthcoming, I would assume this is a training camp deal.
Yeah. Reports are often sloppy about that sort of distinction, but its a big one.

We haven't actually signed Dukan to be part of our team next year. We've invited him to training camp to give him a chance to play his way onto the team, or more likely, Reno.

P.S. a lot of those deals are non-guaranteed until December...or January, forgot which. There's a date there, where if a player is still on your roster after it the contract becomes guaranteed. So partial guarantee we'll pay you up to this day, but the rest of the deal may be voided if you don't stick.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
ehhh...I suppose you give him a shot to show off what he can do. He has good size and is a capable shooter, comes out of a good program where he was well coached I assume. He's also a Euro and Vlade loves himself some Euro players.

Bricklayer

What are his pros and cons?
Guys...once upon a forever ago I remember when the Kings got their own piece of the great Georgetown Hoya big man tradition, and went out and added to the roster one of Georgetown's centers. Unfortunately that center was named Ben Gillery. Ben had been a pet project of John Thompson. He was 7'1" tall, long, and so despite being incredibly uncoordinated and having the bball IQ of a shoebox, Thompson would give him spot starts in games and then pull him after a few minutes, hoping that somehow he would learn how to play basketball. He never did. But that didn't stop us from adding him to our roster and actually keeping him on it for all or most of the year. And he was quite possibly the worst player in our long inglorious history, and one of the worst in the history of the NBA. He didn't even earn college minutes, and we gave him garbage minutes in the big leagues.

Fast forward to today and the strange case of Duje Dukan. this was Duje's 4 year college career:

2010-11 2.1min 0.3ppg
2011-12 3.4min 0.8ppg
2012-13 MISSED
2013-14 8.1min 2.8ppg
2014-15 15.9min 4.7ppg (.387 .319 .674) 2.6reb 0.6ast 0.2stl 0.1blk 0.7TO

This is a SCRUB. A scrub of the highest order who happened to get hot during summer league. He will show up, he will face somebody like LeBron in a preseason game, and we won't even have to void his contract because all that will be left will be a bloodstain on the floor. Maybe soembody in the front row will catch an ear.

Expect absolutely nothing. I suspect even he does. Even going so far as to get invited to a camp is a minor miracle for such a figure.

Guys...once upon a forever ago I remember when the Kings got their own piece of the great Georgetown Hoya big man tradition, and went out and added to the roster one of Georgetown's centers. Unfortunately that center was named Ben Gillery. Ben had been a pet project of John Thompson. He was 7'1" tall, long, and so despite being incredibly uncoordinated and having the bball IQ of a shoebox, Thompson would give him spot starts in games and then pull him after a few minutes, hoping that somehow he would learn how to play basketball. He never did. But that didn't stop us from adding him to our roster and actually keeping him on it for all or most of the year. And he was quite possibly the worst player in our long inglorious history, and one of the worst in the history of the NBA. He didn't even earn college minutes, and we gave him garbage minutes in the big leagues.

Fast forward to today and the strange case of Duje Dukan. this was Duje's 4 year college career:

2010-11 2.1min 0.3ppg
2011-12 3.4min 0.8ppg
2012-13 MISSED
2013-14 8.1min 2.8ppg

This is a SCRUB. A scrub of the highest order who happened to get hot during summer league. He will show up, he will face somebody like LeBron in a preseason game, and we won't even have to void his contract because all that will be left will be a bloodstain on the floor. Maybe soembody in the front row will catch an ear.

Expect absolutely nothing. I suspect even he does. Even going so far as to get invited to a camp is a minor miracle for such a figure.
Ehh he looked better than plenty of dudes with better resumes in summer league. His stroke looks pure to me. If you have an NBA skill and you work hard you have a chance.

Bricklayer

Ehh he looked better than plenty of dudes with better resumes in summer league. His stroke looks pure to me. If you have an NBA skill and you work hard you have a chance.
If you get obliterated in every aspect not much of one.

Dude wasn't even a good college player. This is why they have summer league in Vegas. What happens in Vegas often stays in Vegas.

But you're right that he is now getting his chance. He had the shooting week of his life, and its let him have a cup of coffee I doubt he ever realistically thought he'd have before he begins his career as areal estate agent or whatever.

If you get obliterated in every aspect not much of one.

Dude wasn't even a good college player. This is why they have summer league in Vegas. What happens in Vegas often stays in Vegas.

But you're right that he is now getting his chance. He had the shooting week of his life, and its let him have a cup of coffee I doubt he ever realistically thought he'd have before he begins his career as areal estate agent or whatever.
Ah come on, Adrian, it's true. I was nobody. But that don't matter either, you know? 'Cause I was thinkin', it really don't matter if I lose this fight. It really don't matter if this guy opens my head, either. 'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

origkds

What- Me Worry?

2010-11 2.1min 0.3ppg
2011-12 3.4min 0.8ppg
2012-13 MISSED
2013-14 8.1min 2.8ppg

This post made me laugh out loud, probably because I fear its accuracy. That said, everyone gets a fair shake in my book and I pull for every player we sign. You go Duje!

Brick, I don't know if you're using some reverse psychology, but now I have to pull for the guy. He's going to become our human victory cigar. When the game is totally, obviously, completely in the win column, the chant will begin, softly at first, then louder and louder, until it's all anyone can think about:

"DooYAY...DooYAY...DooYAY!"

He's going to come in and hit four threes in a row, playing to the crowd all the while. He's going to be carried off the floor on the shoulders of his cheering teammates, hands raised as the crowd roars its approval.

Last edited:
Maybe the wide open style of Summer League suits Dukan better than the college game. I'm n anxious to see if he keeps it up during training camp. I love finding diamonds in the rough.