Kings select for the 8th pick - Nik Stauskas

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Lady, you're the one who responded to me responding to someone else. You're the one who initiated this back and forth over a simple question. If you're looking for reasons to insult posters on a forum for which you're an MOD in a passive-aggressive manner over a simple question, the likes of which are asked hundreds if not thousands of times each year on this forum(forums are for questions and debates, are they not?), that's questionable behavior.

First you, not me, you drop into a simple conversation with a full-on hyperbolic statement about be sounding like attorney grilling a witness, a comment meant to invoke a reaction, then when I suggest that's being overly sensitive, you take the opportunity to label me abrasive.

Classy behavior.
Dude, did you see the smiley face? I was acknowledging the obvious: that you and I, despite having the Kings in common, are pretty much fundamentally different. I wasn't insulting you. I am, however, truly sorry if you took it as such.

.... the apparent blueprint to turn this team into GS or Den part II, would be obvious causes for concern.
Maybe that's not the blueprint, but maybe that's the sort of booby prize we will have to settle for as an interim measure while we wait for something better to work out. I know everyone looks to what might have been if we had retained Reke. I just want Reke to be water under the bridge at somem point. There had to be a reason for letting Reke go that is not disclosed. I personally assume it was animosity from DMC (a Reke or me ultimatum) although of course we will never know for sure. But I don't think we should judge the FO's motivations by the Reke thing.

Pete does have to live down the Landry signing... what is the statute of limitations on that one. I have a feeling he wishes he could have that one back.

It was a simple question. I think you're being overly sensitive.

My concerns and questions are about PDA and our FO, not Vivek's business acumen, success or leadership capabilities.

Not answering our problems at PG or PF, stacking offensive players on top of one another while appearing to ignore the other side of the ball, admitting Landry and Ben were mistakes by recent transactions or attempted transactions, having a head coach and GM who appear to share opposing philosophies and put shooting at the top of the list of concerns when we have and have had more pressing needs for years now, the apparent blueprint to turn this team into GS or Den part II, would be obvious causes for concern.
Hey, I understand what your concerns are about how it has gone so far but I happen to believe that our biggest need at the moment of the draft and our most productive first step was to solve our problem at SG. PDA took a legit shot at improving that - instant minimum improvement of plus 10 wins which you have to have before winning the championship. Now it is the 28th of June and wouldn't be surprised if PDA made a move or two more to improve the team.

Whether we rate PDA at 100% or 38% his trip so far for me has been interesting and fun to follow. Thus my confidence is there.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Maybe that's not the blueprint, but maybe that's the sort of booby prize we will have to settle for as an interim measure while we wait for something better to work out. I know everyone looks to what might have been if we had retained Reke. I just want Reke to be water under the bridge at somem point. There had to be a reason for letting Reke go that is not disclosed. I personally assume it was animosity from DMC (a Reke or me ultimatum) although of course we will never know for sure. But I don't think we should judge the FO's motivations by the Reke thing.

Pete does have to live down the Landry signing... what is the statute of limitations on that one. I have a feeling he wishes he could have that one back.
There was more animosity toward Reke from some idiots in the fanbase than we have proven to have existed in the lockerroom. You have to remember that we made an offer to Reke, I believe with Vivek in the room even, but that our geniuses put a hard cap on what they would pay for a player they were basically ignorant of and judging by reputation and whatever poison the local were pouring in their ears. If Cousins gave a "me or him" ultimatum, why did we make an offer at all? What if he had accepted?

And there is nothing that will make letting Reke go a non-story except winning. Every year we continue to wallow, let alone a year when our SGs were a colossal fail, the what if question will linger. I don't think its the primary story by this point, but you can't let talent walk, continue to lose, and think nobody is going to draw a line between the two events.

Hey, I understand what your concerns are about how it has gone so far but I happen to believe that our biggest need at the moment of the draft and our most productive first step was to solve our problem at SG. PDA took a legit shot at improving that - instant minimum improvement of plus 10 wins which you have to have before winning the championship. Now it is the 28th of June and wouldn't be surprised if PDA made a move or two more to improve the team.

Whether we rate PDA at 100% or 38% his trip so far for me has been interesting and fun to follow. Thus my confidence is there.
Stauskus is going to improve us by 10 wins. That's a silly expectation of any defensively challenged player that is likely to be low usage with the current lineup.

Lady, you're the one who responded to me responding to someone else. You're the one who initiated this back and forth over a simple question. If you're looking for reasons to insult posters on a forum for which you're an MOD in a passive-aggressive manner over a simple question, the likes of which are asked hundreds if not thousands of times each year on this forum(forums are for questions and debates, are they not?), that's questionable behavior.

First you, not me, you drop into a simple conversation with a full-on hyperbolic statement about be sounding like attorney grilling a witness, a comment meant to invoke a reaction, then when I suggest that's being overly sensitive, you take the opportunity to label me abrasive.

Classy behavior.
(Smile) You are a crank and a crank is fine with me.

I'm only commenting on previous transactions and what we have to go on. That should make many ask questions, and many are.

However, you're right, it's June. I'm waiting until July 31st and four weeks of free agency to really make any conclusions. There's certainly time to fix our issues. The concerns come from ignoring those issues for the most part thus far.

The West is going to be better next year, btw. Drafting Stauskas alone doesn't guarantee 35+ wins.

I'm only commenting on previous transactions and what we have to go on. That should make many ask questions, and many are.

However, you're right, it's June. I'm waiting until July 31st and four weeks of free agency to really make any conclusions. There's certainly time to fix our issues. The concerns come from ignoring those issues for the most part thus far.

The West is going to be better next year, btw. Drafting Stauskas alone doesn't guarantee 35+ wins.
No but solving the SG problem we had last year does and now we have the tools. Let's see how well Malone and the players do in using the tools they have right now. You're right, not a guarantee.

gunks

Hall of Famer
A couple days later, I'm much less enthused.

I still have hopes for Nik, but I really wish we would have gone after Payton or Vonleh. Swing for the fences on a high upside guy.

I have no doubt that Nik will be a rotation guy at the least (which is more than you can day about Ben) with his size, smarts, and skillset....but he doesn't have the ceiling of some of the guys we passed on.

No but solving the SG problem we had last year does and now we have the tools. Let's see how well Malone and the players do in using the tools they have right now. You're right, not a guarantee.
Last year when we drafted Ben, a lot of the same fans were claiming the same thing. That we'd solved our sg problem. Amazing what a year of facing nba competition does to expectations.

And even if you believed that, how would using one of our few assets to correct the misuse of another previous asset cause more trust in the FO?

Last edited:
Last year when we drafted Ben, a lot of the same fans were claiming the same thing. That we'd solved our gs problem. Amazing what a year of facing nba competition does to expectations.

And even if you believed that, how would using one of our few assets to correct the misuse of another previous asset cause more trust in the FO?
You have to ask?

Career high of 26 points for a scoring shooter. He needs to grow...alot.
You know nothing, Jon Snow.

Michigan was a balanced scoring team last year and the previous year. He was the best and most consistent scorer on a team that preaches a team game. If Mcdermott was on that team he would have been a 15ppg player.

Still, he has plenty of room to grow.

Classy behavior.
Welcome to Kingsfans.com!

I think PDA needs to be fired for this pick...Offense is not our problem and frankly, this guy has no defense. Sorry but this pick is not what we needed. Vonleh is a much better pick....which we will soon find out when he makes game impacting plays while this guy continuously get burned on defense . Seems like this guy has no ceiling to build on, which is what you want in a pick...When he gets into the line up and realize there is grown men in the NBA at the 2 guard position..He will be riding the bench. I hope I'm wrong but if I'm not PDA needs to be fired ASAP because obviously he doesn't know what he's doing. I'm waiting for coach Malone perspective on this pick....I have a feeling he doesn't agree with it one bit.!!.... Ben was a much more skilled player than this guy in college and look at him...

Last edited:
This Vivek is has got a talented marketing and hype machine to be sure!! And I love our pick. BUT:

But....

when the power hitter CEO says "what do you all think, Stauska or Peyton? I say Stauskas... Pete?".

I mean, come on.... this is not inviting an open deliberation on the part of your subordinates exactly.

Anyway the marketing and hype machine is fairly magnificent.

What is wrong with some of you people? Writing off Stauskas before he even plays. I wasn't thrilled at first with the pick but I think Nik will be really good. You all want to win now right? Vonleh wouldnt have helped. Payton? Maybe, but his jump shot is so bad that we would have no spacing if he were starting. Those of you calling for Pete's head. Just stop. Let's judge him after 1-2 more years, It's hard to clean up 8 years of crap in one year. The rudy trade was good. williams trade was good. I see promise with pete. He knows we need defense, why else do you think there are the rondo rumors? josh smith rumors? He has said he wants a shot blocking big next to cuz. Give the dude a break. Basically he's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Give him a chance. You can't just expect over night success, especially when we are changing our entire culture and identity. I think he's done a great job so far. Also, wait until july is over for you to be upset. We still have free agency

This Vivek is has got a talented marketing and hype machine to be sure!! And I love our pick. BUT:

But....

when the power hitter CEO says "what do you all think, Stauska or Peyton? I say Stauskas... Pete?".

I mean, come on.... this is not inviting an open deliberation on the part of your subordinates exactly.

Anyway the marketing and hype machine is fairly magnificent.
I think he's too involved in basketball operations though I think that's to be expected this early in the game. Hopefully he backs off as trust is earned.

Last edited:
I think PDA needs to be fired for this pick...Offense is not our problem and frankly, this guy has no defense. Sorry but this pick is not what we needed. Vonleh is a much better pick....which we will soon find out when he makes game impacting plays while this guy continuously get burned on defense . Seems like this guy has no ceiling to build on, which is what you want in a pick...When he gets into the line up and realize there is grown men in the NBA at the 2 guard position..He will be riding the bench. I hope I'm wrong but if I'm not PDA needs to be fired ASAP because obviously he doesn't know what he's doing.
Vonleh is overrated. He has no confidence, no drive to be the best, and gets lost in the game against good teams. He has potential, but he's a 3-4 year project.

This is coming from someone who watched him in at least half of his games last year.

Nik is a competitor and will raise the level of play of others around him. He'll get beat a bit on defense, but you're insane if you think we don't need more offense. He'll grow with the team and get better. Exactly what he did at Michigan.

I don't think he is a patsy. I think they showed the same interest
nah. Read Pete's body language there. He was put in a corner and I'd actually guess he may have been leaning Peyton from the way he hemmed, hawed, and said "yes boss".

Vivek hired the head coach first too. And called DMC to say he was the cornerstone. All before Pete got involved. I'm really pretty much NOT believing that somebody besides Vivek calls personnel shots.

Not that is necessarily a bad thing... but lets not kid ourselves.

I am not dissing the pick or calling for PDA's head either. I just think that video kind of shows Vivek's colors a bit. Would have been better if Pete had been leading the discussion I think,

nah. Read Pete's body language there. He was put in a corner and I'd actually guess he may have been leaning Peyton from the way he hemmed, hawed, and said "yes boss".

Vivek hired the head coach first too. And called DMC to say he was the cornerstone. All before Pete got involved. I'm really pretty much NOT believing that somebody besides Vivek calls personnel shots.

Not that is necessarily a bad thing... but lets not kid ourselves.

I am not dissing the pick or calling for PDA's head either. I just think that video kind of shows Vivek's colors a bit. Would have been better if Pete had been leading the discussion I think,
Agree to an extent. Often owners aren't even in the room on draft day or are there simply to bless moves/spending. Not driving the conversation.
Of course, this may all be an overreaction to editing for pr purposes.

Last edited:
I think he's too involved in basketball operations though I think that's to be expected this early in the game. Hopefully he backs off as trust is earned.
If we're considering copying the Spurs, one noticeable difference is their owner stays out of player personnel discussions. It's all Pop. The owner has even joked he works for Pop.

I'm of the opinion a GM needs his plan and should stick to his plan, through and through. Should consider opinions and insight from others, but that should all be filtered through the plan in place. If an owner preferring a different player is enough to hedge you away from your plan, you probably didn't have much confidence in your plan in the first place.

Cuban is a great/passionate owner. He meddled with player transactions after they beat Miami. Dallas paid for that.