Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Jumpshooter? Check.
Not great at defense? Check.
Has a pulse? Check.

Seems about right for a typical PDA end-of-the-bencher signing

K

KingMilz

The dude GOES HARD, I would welcome him on the squad, having a Dragic on your team is always a good thing

Jumpshooter? Check.
Has a pulse? Check.

This comment sparked a sense of deja vu. Way back in the Petrie era, before the Peja for Ron Artest trade. Comments such as this were common about the players Petrie brought in. In fact Rick Adelman was often bashed as the "no defense" coach in those days.

Now in hindsight we all know those great Kings teams Adelman coached in fact played superb team defense.

But none the less in that era Petrie was often scolded for bringing in a certain "type" of player. A player that could shoot the ball and pass the ball but was "not great on defense". I'm not sure how Doug Christie, Scot Pollard and Bobby J made it to the Kings.

Why am I bringing this up now? Does it pertain to the current situation? Who knows...........

As for me I think I will enjoy the Kings. IMO Pete and crew had a tall order when they came in. I will allow them more than one season before I start hollering for Staukas to be traded for Tony Allen.

KB

This comment sparked a sense of deja vu. Way back in the Petrie era, before the Peja for Ron Artest trade. Comments such as this were common about the players Petrie brought in. In fact Rick Adelman was often bashed as the "no defense" coach in those days.

Now in hindsight we all know those great Kings teams Adelman coached in fact played superb team defense.

But none the less in that era Petrie was often scolded for bringing in a certain "type" of player. A player that could shoot the ball and pass the ball but was "not great on defense". I'm not sure how Doug Christie, Scot Pollard and Bobby J made it to the Kings.

Why am I bringing this up now? Does it pertain to the current situation? Who knows...........

As for me I think I will enjoy the Kings. IMO Pete and crew had a tall order when they came in. I will allow them more than one season before I start hollering for Staukas to be traded for Tony Allen.

KB
To be fair, most of those criticisms from the Geoff years were in the last 5-7 years when he did bring in soft shooters that couldn't defend and it showed on the court. His MO shifted just enough from balanced teams that had great chemistry and played together on both sides to what we had to watch in the later half of his tenure.

To be fair, most of those criticisms from the Geoff years were in the last 5-7 years when he did bring in soft shooters that couldn't defend and it showed on the court. His MO shifted just enough from balanced teams that had great chemistry and played together on both sides to what we had to watch in the later half of his tenure.
and Geoff was told by the mafools to bring in some specific players as well... especially during the "Let's Make quick $$ off the Kings" years.

At this point he's, to be conservative, twice the player that Kulagin his. He's also 25 and is going to ask for something more than the 1yr minimum. If we move one or two guards he's a potential off-the-bench bargain but with the current situation I don't see why both parties would be interested in each other.

While what you say is true, my post was specifically about the Petrie era before Peja was traded.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Jumpshooter? Check.
Has a pulse? Check.

More typical of the basic player model for the entire 30 year history of the Sacramento Kings, and even going well back into their Kansas City years as well. The first team that arrived in Sacto was a bunch of soft defenseless jumpshooters, and with just a few little 1 or 2 year burps, that's been the non-stop M.O. ever since. Same way Phoenix is always run n gun with great PGs, Indiana keeps coming back to deep defensive minded teams lacking star power etc. Our chosen "flavor" has always been soft defenseless jumpshooters.

dude12

Hall of Famer
If Sac is looking at possible deals involving Ben, then this prepares them after trades. If Dragic is better than Ben or Nik, then why not. I wouldn't mind us having a fallback at SG. The odds that Ben and Nik play at a high level are not in our favor...they are just not at that level yet. It's time to win now and they can't afford to go into the season and/or play all season with well below NBA average level of play at one position. Dragic is a grown man, Ben and Nik are kids still......no knock against them but that's fact.

Well Phoenix has plenty of cap space to outbid us easily, but unless they do a sign n trade for Bledsoe do they really have room in the back court?

Indiana does not have cap space but they have that Paul George 5.3 mil exception.

All we have is the 2mil Bi-Annual exception, I think either Phoenix or Indiana can out bid us easily,
but if Phoenix wants him they would have the best chance to get him

K

KingMilz

Well Phoenix has plenty of cap space to outbid us easily, but unless they do a sign n trade for Bledsoe do they really have room in the back court?

Indiana does not have cap space but they have that Paul George 5.3 mil exception.

All we have is the 2mil Bi-Annual exception, I think either Phoenix or Indiana can out bid us easily,
but if Phoenix wants him they would have the best chance to get him
For Rudy Gay, Suns need a SF, we can just get a cheap replacement for the time being like Earl Clark or maybe just start both the SG's and let them develop playing with Cousins.

More typical of the basic player model for the entire 30 year history of the Sacramento Kings, and even going well back into their Kansas City years as well. The first team that arrived in Sacto was a bunch of soft defenseless jumpshooters, and with just a few little 1 or 2 year burps, that's been the non-stop M.O. ever since. Same way Phoenix is always run n gun with great PGs, Indiana keeps coming back to deep defensive minded teams lacking star power etc. Our chosen "flavor" has always been soft defenseless jumpshooters.
That has been the commentary through the years. Brick your memory is probably better than mine but the first players Petrie drafted as Kings GM were Brian Grant and Michael Smith. Those two could bang with the best of them. The following year Corliss came on board.

While I can't argue with the post Peja trade era, prior to that most of Petrie's work was solid.

Sacramento Draft picks though the ages: http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAC/draft.html

September 12, 2014 Updates

Rafael Molina Guerra: Phoenix Suns and Zoran Dragic negotiate the signing of Unicaja player. Suns want the two brothers in Arizona. Zoki must pay now 750.000€. Twitter

Rumors tagsPhoenix Suns, Spain, Unicaja Malaga, Zoran Dragic
- See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors/tag/phoenix_suns#sthash.3v8yfcsj.dpuf

I am not sure , I guess Zoran is currently on Unicaja Team? Sounds like Suns are the leader to get Zoran. Zoki is his nickname? So how much is the 750,000 Euros (my guess) in Dollars?

This tweet a little confusing to me

Maybe Zoran is also negotiating deals with the other teams interested in him – the Pacers and Kings – but I get the impression this makes Phoenix the likely destination.

The Suns have plenty of cap room, just 13 players and the ability to exceed the cap to re-sign Eric Bledsoe. They can easily fit a second Dragic.

Zoran’s buyout, 750,000, Euros translates to 971,074 U.S. dollars – more than the $600,000 NBA teams are allowed to pay for international buyouts without it counting against the cap. So, Dragic will likely have to cover some of the cost himself.

The biggest hurdle, if it hasn’t already been cleared, is determining how much the Suns would pay Zoran. He’ll likely require more than a minimum deal to jump, but if he were an American free agent, he might not command much more than that. Somewhere in the range of $2 million-$3 million per year seems reasonable.
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....dragic/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Maybe Zoran is also negotiating deals with the other teams interested in him – the Pacers and Kings – but I get the impression this makes Phoenix the likely destination.

The Suns have plenty of cap room, just 13 players and the ability to exceed the cap to re-sign Eric Bledsoe. They can easily fit a second Dragic.

Zoran’s buyout, 750,000, Euros translates to 971,074 U.S. dollars – more than the $600,000 NBA teams are allowed to pay for international buyouts without it counting against the cap. So, Dragic will likely have to cover some of the cost himself.

The biggest hurdle, if it hasn’t already been cleared, is determining how much the Suns would pay Zoran. He’ll likely require more than a minimum deal to jump, but if he were an American free agent, he might not command much more than that. Somewhere in the range of $2 million-$3 million per year seems reasonable.
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....dragic/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
They'll be loaded in their backcourt for sure. Maybe they would also want to get Mason Plumlee so they'll have three pairs of siblings in their team, Morris twins, Plumlee brothers and the Dragics.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I say they should look at Milos Teodosic (if he's available) and Miroslav Raduljica, both are quality players.
Teodosic will never come to the NBA, he would of by now if he was going to. Raduljica can be had for cheap but I just don't see too much appeal with him.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
That has been the commentary through the years. Brick your memory is probably better than mine but the first players Petrie drafted as Kings GM were Brian Grant and Michael Smith. Those two could bang with the best of them. The following year Corliss came on board.

While I can't argue with the post Peja trade era, prior to that most of Petrie's work was solid.

Sacramento Draft picks though the ages: http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAC/draft.html
We had two second round picks that year, and the third player drafted was Funderburke, who wan't shy around the basket either.

K

KingMilz

Teodosic will never come to the NBA, he would of by now if he was going to. Raduljica can be had for cheap but I just don't see too much appeal with him.
If we moved Landry/JT I would not mind Miroslav at all, he's big and fairly mobile for a man of his build (solid skills), he's kind of like a Pekovic type and having another enforcer/brusier to intimidate is never a bad thing. Plus the last two Serb players that were on the Kings squad turned out alright :p

You'll never know, maybe if he's offered the right price presumably higher than what he's getting in CSKA Moscow maybe then he'll come to the NBA.Raduljica on the other hand IMO is better than any other current Kings center not named DeMarcus Cousins.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
You'll never know, maybe if he's offered the right price presumably higher than what he's getting in CSKA Moscow maybe then he'll come to the NBA.Raduljica on the other hand IMO is better than any other current Kings center not named DeMarcus Cousins.
That's not saying much really. Wouldn't it just be better to play JT at the center?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Jesus, how many guards do the Suns need?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
As of now (assuming Bledsoe and Zoran both wind up on the Suns to start the year), the Suns' roster now sits as

Plumlee/Alex Len/Shavlik Randolph (who?)
Morris/Morris/Tolliver
PJ Tucker/TJ Warren
Dragic/Green/Goodwin/Dragic
Bledsoe/Isaiah Thomas/ Tyler Ennis

* They also have the rights to Serbian guard Bogdan Bogdanovic, if that wasn't enough.

That is a ridiculously backcourt-heavy roster (though Green is probably capable of sliding to the 3 if need be) that is straight out of a Don Nelson/Keith Smart fever dream. Something has to give at this point, doesn't it?