Kings agree to new deal with Comcast

Dale Kasler @dakasler · 2h
Comcast will do 80 #NBAKings games, up from 70. Expanded pre & post game coverage

Ryan Lillis @Ryan_Lillis · 1h
Sports Business Journal reports #NBAKings deal w/Comcast is 20 years and worth $690-$700 million. Previous deal was estimated at $11m/year

http://www.sacbee.com/2014/07/28/6587923/sacramento-kings-sign-new-more.html

Kings officials would not discuss the financial details of the agreement, but the Sports Business Journal reported the deal was worth between $690 million and $700 million – or an average of $35 million a year. The team’s previous deal with Comcast was pegged at about $11 million a year.

The Kings said that Comcast SportsNet California will air more than 500 hours of team-related content through the year. That will include 80 games – up from the current 70 – and pre- and post-game shows. The network also plans to produce a monthly magazine show called “Kings Central.”

Last edited:
Wait...comcast isnt going to black out a bunch of the games from being viewed on league pass are they? I know thats what they do to Warriors games.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I just hope they and Dish can pick one freaking channel to broadcast the games on and stick with it. This hopping around to find the game gets old.

Yes. All home games will be blocked on league pass along with any games that will air on national television.
Great. So for the next however many years ill be getting half the value for my $200. Thanks comcast. Can i get some good news please. Does anyone know how to get the home games as well? Will it help if i change my cable provider to Comcast/xfinity?

If your in the Sacramento market your only choices are to sign up with Comcast/Xfinity (not sure if dish will still carry???) to get the games. If your OUT of the market you can get the both home and away games when the league pass is not glitching and coming up with as many reasons it can think of to not show the games.

If your in the Sacramento market your only choices are to sign up with Comcast/Xfinity (not sure if dish will still carry???) to get the games. If your OUT of the market you can get the both home and away games when the league pass is not glitching and coming up with as many reasons it can think of to not show the games.
I think this is a good answer? Im Ron Burgundy?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Great. So for the next however many years ill be getting half the value for my $200. Thanks comcast. Can i get some good news please. Does anyone know how to get the home games as well? Will it help if i change my cable provider to Comcast/xfinity?
If you don't live in the Sacramento broadcast area, your league pass won't be affected. If you do live within the Sacramento broadcast area, you'll be able to catch all the games on the Comcast channel available, I believe, on all the various cable providers.

The only time games are blocked is if their league pass coverage competes with local available coverage.

What are you talking about? The current broadcast agreement with Comcast is being extended, not changed. They are going to carry 80 games this year; the two they won't carry are probably the Toronto game (if memory serves) and one other. DishNetwork and DirecTV have long-term contracts with Comcast Sports to carry their local broadcasts, as do most other television providers.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Well thats why i put multiple question marks on my post because I was not sureo_O.
I mean no personal offense whatsoever, but your answer was about as far away from "not sure" as you could possibly get. :p The announcement today in effect EXTENDS the current agreement for 20 years with a much nicer compensation for the team. Viewers won't notice any difference.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Too bad that Dish Network still does not have full time HD sports channels even in the year 2014.
We've got enough problems just finding the channels for the games. Just another holdover from a Maloof screwup.

IIRC, I was able to view all the Kings games on Dish in HD (except for one time when there were technical difficulties). And I watch quite a bit of sports via Dish - all in HD. If you have a particular complaint about their service, you should probably be talking to them. We're just here for the Kings. :)