JT traded to Warriors for Gerald Wallace

JT just got traded to the Warriors for Gerald Wallace, cash and draft considerations. Really hoping this isn't another case of someone taking our untradable asset and moving them for more than we got,

Cold world.

I'm sure he made all kinds of plans being home in phl, but hey, now he's almost guaranteed playoffs. He'll finally be in a proper role on a good team. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get some good numbers off the bench.

JT just got traded to the Warriors for Gerald Wallace, cash and draft considerations. Really hoping this isn't another case of someone taking our untradable asset and moving them for more than we got,
Gerald Wallace is basically a corpse, Philly is playing a meta game with themselves to see how many draft picks they can accumulate and they are cheap as hell (cash). What does draft considerations even mean?

Lucky him. After years of even close to tasting the playoffs, he gets traded to the world champs and is potentially going to be an NBA Champ before Demarcus Cousins. JT has died and gone to basketball heaven l.

Philly also got to the right to swap the lesser of 2016 Mia/OKC pick with GS. So they basically got a big expiring and a right to swap a mid to low 1st rounder. Wouldn't have been a deal of much value to the Kings.

Lucky him. After years of even close to tasting the playoffs, he gets traded to the world champs and is potentially going to be an NBA Champ before Demarcus Cousins. JT has died and gone to basketball heaven l.
Dont know how he fits with the Warriors though. In their system he fits as a C but they already have Bogut and Ezeli who both do what they need from the C spot(rim protection) better than JT. At PF they have Green and Speights. Only floor time I see for JT on GS is when they play Memphis, San Antonio, maybe Clippers and they need a post defender at the 4. Even then Kerr has shown to stick with Green on the top PF's. JT will basically replace David Lee's spot. Good depth move though for them, although it will be interesting to see how JT handles going from starter most of his career to maybe not even a regular rotation guy. Remember hes a guy that theoretically has one more good contract left in him, as much as winning is important, ultimatley this is his career. Seeing David Lee go from all star to having the perception of a has been stiff has to not look too good to JT, knowing thats who he is replacing.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Dont know how he fits with the Warriors though.
I'm not sure the Warriors care how he fits. This was the second step in a luxury tax avoidance maneuver. The Warriors went from Lee -> Wallace -> JT, thereby knocking about $9M off of their salary, and putting them at about $95M, which is a tad more than $10M above the tax. Had they not made the two trades, they'd be paying the extra $9M in salary, plus about $25.5M additional in luxury tax. They saved just a hair under $35M by going from Lee to JT. Admittedly, only about $12.5M of that came from the Wallace/JT trade, the remainder was from the Lee/Wallace trade, but still. Even taking the Wallace/JT trade as a single entity, the Warriors saved $12.5M and traded away a broken shell of a player for a solid backup big man. This is such an incredibly good move for them that they could care less about JT's fit. If he doesn't fit, bench him. If you can find a way to use him, the more the victory.

I'm not sure the Warriors care how he fits. This was the second step in a luxury tax avoidance maneuver. The Warriors went from Lee -> Wallace -> JT, thereby knocking about $9M off of their salary, and putting them at about $95M, which is a tad more than $10M above the tax. Had they not made the two trades, they'd be paying the extra $9M in salary, plus about $25.5M additional in luxury tax. They saved just a hair under $35M by going from Lee to JT. Admittedly, only about $12.5M of that came from the Wallace/JT trade, the remainder was from the Lee/Wallace trade, but still. Even taking the Wallace/JT trade as a single entity, the Warriors saved $12.5M and traded away a broken shell of a player for a solid backup big man. This is such an incredibly good move for them that they could care less about JT's fit. If he doesn't fit, bench him. If you can find a way to use him, the more the victory.
Im well aware this is a good move for the Warriors. Im looking at it from the perspective of JT who we have seen and got to know for his whole career. On one side he will be playing for a title contender, on the other hand he will play the lowest minutes of his career, and probably by a ton to the point that I cant see him sniffing the floor except for situational spots and due to injuries.

Dont know how he fits with the Warriors though. In their system he fits as a C but they already have Bogut and Ezeli who both do what they need from the C spot(rim protection) better than JT. At PF they have Green and Speights. Only floor time I see for JT on GS is when they play Memphis, San Antonio, maybe Clippers and they need a post defender at the 4. Even then Kerr has shown to stick with Green on the top PF's. JT will basically replace David Lee's spot. Good depth move though for them, although it will be interesting to see how JT handles going from starter most of his career to maybe not even a regular rotation guy. Remember hes a guy that theoretically has one more good contract left in him, as much as winning is important, ultimatley this is his career. Seeing David Lee go from all star to having the perception of a has been stiff has to not look too good to JT, knowing thats who he is replacing.
So GS basically turned David Lee into Jason Thompson lol. I remember David Lee did help them in the playoffs, so I think they lost some talent there.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Sort of a win/lose for JT. He's going to a serious contender with a chance to get a ring, but he he's leaving his chance to finally play in his hometown. I think JT will be fine as an insurance backup at both center and power forward. Remember, both Ezeli and Bogut have a history of injuries, so having another big man who can run the floor well is a good move for them.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Sort of a win/lose for JT. He's going to a serious contender with a chance to get a ring, but he he's leaving his chance to finally play in his hometown. I think JT will be fine as an insurance backup at both center and power forward. Remember, both Ezeli and Bogut have a history of injuries, so having another big man who can run the floor well is a good move for them.
And JT should finally make the playoffs now. he's been declining for a few years now, and going from Sac to Philly there was beginning to be a non-0% chance he could end up going his entire career without making the playoffs once, which is a rare accomplishment for a guy with so many NBA games under his belt. Of course we've been a rare franchise ever since he entered the league.

What exactly does Philly get out of this, the right to swap picks?

Doesn't seem like much, considering we had to give them a future 1st rounder and Stauskas to take on our salary, but they just swap picks to take on Wallace's contract from GSW?

Seems like Vlade really overpaid on that Philly trade.

What exactly does Philly get out of this, the right to swap picks?

Doesn't seem like much, considering we had to give them a future 1st rounder to take on our salary, but they just swap picks to take on Wallace's contract from GSW?

Seems like Vlade may have overpaid on that Philly trade.
Should be a swap with OKC or Miami pick for Golden State. Maybe OKC finishes a pick or two better but that is unlikely.

And the value of cap space after most of the free agents are signed is hard to compare to cap space when the market has just started.

So to me it looks like you had to pay off someone quite massively to take JT with no salary back at the beginning of free agency when people were still available, and once everyone was signed moved for more bad salary for a miracle of a chance at a pick swap.

Im well aware this is a good move for the Warriors. Im looking at it from the perspective of JT who we have seen and got to know for his whole career. On one side he will be playing for a title contender, on the other hand he will play the lowest minutes of his career, and probably by a ton to the point that I cant see him sniffing the floor except for situational spots and due to injuries.
Betcha he gets a lot more minutes than that - lots. This move pleases me for JT's sake - a God deal for him and for the Warriors. I'm pleased for both of them. JT has a whole retirement to spend n Philly if that's what he wants.

Amazing how quickly things can change. JT goes to the about the furthest place away from Sac, to his home town. Then a month later, he's shipped back just down the the road from Sac.

At this point he's probably wondering if it's more of a cold world or a strange world? After nothing happening for him for the longest time,...now he's on a "yo-yo" LOL

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Ouch. Here I thought he was finally going to be able to go back home and play for his city....JT now replaces David Lee, which is addition by subtraction considering David Lee's injury history.

eh, doubtful, considering what we got in free agency this summer.