Javale McGee

Looking at off season trade targets, how about someone that PDA's has ties too from Denver.

The Kings can offer some salary cap relief by giving them some ending contracts and maybe a couple future second round picks. Maybe a combination of ending contracts in Derrick Williams (6.67 mil) and Travis Outlaw (3 mil) for Javale McGee and his two years 23.25 million left. Kings maybe can take on one or two of their unwanted contracts too.

Why the Kings would do it: Javale McGee was a trade acquisition when PDA was in the FO of Denver. He is a great shot blocker and would be a great rim protector for the Kings alongside DMC. He is coming off a 5 game season due to injury, but is scheduled to be back by training camp. The Kings can concentrate on getting a point guard in the draft (Dante Exum or Marcus Smart).

Why Denver does it: McGee is coming off a injury riddled season and is going to make over 23 million in the next two years. Timofey Mozgov has played well for a lot less money (4 mil/yr) and maybe the starting center for Denver, even when McGee is healthy. Denver would save 14 million over the next two seasons, and possible luxury tax. Denver and PDA have history, so he may have connections to get an inside track on a trade.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Looking at off season trade targets, how about someone that PDA's has ties too from Denver.

The Kings can offer some salary cap relief by giving them some ending contracts and maybe a couple future second round picks. Maybe a combination of ending contracts in Derrick Williams (6.67 mil) and Travis Outlaw (3 mil) for Javale McGee and his two years 23.25 million left. Kings maybe can take on one or two of their unwanted contracts too.

Why the Kings would do it: Javale McGee was a trade acquisition when PDA was in the FO of Denver. He is a great shot blocker and would be a great rim protector for the Kings alongside DMC. He is coming off a 5 game season due to injury, but is scheduled to be back by training camp. The Kings can concentrate on getting a point guard in the draft (Dante Exum or Marcus Smart).

Why Denver does it: McGee is coming off a injury riddled season and is going to make over 23 million in the next two years. Timofey Mozgov has played well for a lot less money (4 mil/yr) and maybe the starting center for Denver, even when McGee is healthy. Denver would save 14 million over the next two seasons, and possible luxury tax. Denver and PDA have history, so he may have connections to get an inside track on a trade.
The skill set is what we could use....just not to sure about the mental part of him...I'd want to send back more salary to them and no 2 nd round picks.

I agree he has all the physical tools, when he is healthy. But McGee has done plenty of dumb things. Someone has a video on You Tube dedicated his Top Ten Stupid Plays:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I want no part of McGee. He's far from the brightest bulb in the pack. While he is a pretty good shot blocker, he's not a very good team defender. He gets caught out of position all the time. I'd rather go after someone like Ed Davis or see what it would take to pry Derrick Favors loose from Utah.

Every year someone posts a Javale Mcgee thread.

No way would I want this hack. He cannot defend and his BBall IQ is probably the lowest in the league.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I want no part of McGee. He's far from the brightest bulb in the pack. While he is a pretty good shot blocker, he's not a very good team defender. He gets caught out of position all the time. I'd rather go after someone like Ed Davis or see what it would take to pry Derrick Favors loose from Utah.
Speaking of prying things from Utah's grasps, if we're going for low IQ shot blockers, I'd much rather we try to grab Gobert. Still young and under muscled and plays dumb but still displays good defensive big basics. The fact he couldn't see much burn on a floundering Utah team isn't exactly encouraging though and I'm not sure that he's a world changing when it's all said and done (I'm pretty sure Utah won't move him either way). Not exactly the sexy choice that people seem to thing Sanders or any other established defensive big is but cheaper and younger.

As much as I want to add an athletic shotblocker, I'm not willing to deal with this guy's low BBall IQ. Dude is dumb and for that reason you can't even play him 30 min a night.

We need to add IQ not get even dumber.

Once upon a time, I thought JaVale McGee would have been a great fit next to Cousins but the problem is that he has not gotten smarter with more experience as you would expect a young player to. If anything, he has gotten dumber with time!

K

KingMilz

I much rather Mozgov who has even shown some 3 point range (extended his range) and moves very well for his size and will give you defence and hustle witha 7'1 frame.

Denver was putting on hold Melo deal, until Knicks parted with Mozgov. Of course, Masai is gone, but with Mozgov's recent play including 93+29 game, you will need to pay a king's ransom.

McGee is the Demarcus Cousin of being stupid in the NBA.
But like Demarcus' recent no technical stretch, I would bet as well that McGee could get his own streak of not being stupid under a right coach and teammates.

JT's bone headed plays may not be too far from McGee's tally.
So I would be fine of landing this kid if we got rid of JT in the process, and much better with Landry's contract as well.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
McGee is the Demarcus Cousin of being stupid in the NBA.
But like Demarcus' recent no technical stretch, I would bet as well that McGee could get his own streak of not being stupid under a right coach and teammates.

JT's bone headed plays may not be too far from McGee's tally.
So I would be fine of landing this kid if we got rid of JT in the process, and much better with Landry's contract as well.
Cousins has a problem controlling his passion, and at times lacks people skills, but he's not stupid about the game of basketball. Calapari once said that Cousins was one of the smartest players he ever coached. You never had to explain anything to him twice. McGee on the other hand is just plain stupid when it comes to the game of basketball, which is amazing when you consider who his mother is. McGee is one of the reasons that Karl has less hair than he used to.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Cousins has a problem controlling his passion, and at times lacks people skills, but he's not stupid about the game of basketball. Calapari once said that Cousins was one of the smartest players he ever coached. You never had to explain anything to him twice. McGee on the other hand is just plain stupid when it comes to the game of basketball, which is amazing when you consider who his mother is. McGee is one of the reasons that Karl has less hair than he used to.
Some people are not intelligent. Has nothing to do with the so called BBIQ. You have to have an IQ before you have a chance at a BBIQ.

I never said that Cousins was stupid.
My statement is about McGee as being labeled as stupid in the NBA the way the NBA has labeled DMC as a problem child.
In plain relationship: In the NBA, McGee = dumb DMC = trouble maker

So if DMC was able to keep his cool for a long stretch, I'm saying maybe McGee could do is own stretch of not playing dumb as well.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
My statement is about McGee as being labeled as stupid in the NBA the way the NBA has labeled DMC as a problem child.

So if DMC was able to keep his cool for a long stretch, I'm saying maybe McGee could do is own stretch of not playing dumb as well.
Those are not remotely the same thing. For the most part, a lot of Demarcus's problems could be traced back (a) stigma from his high school days and (b) coming into the league under the most dysfunctional front office in all of pro sports. Meanwhile, JaVale is (a) the son of a former coach/player (his mom), which generally leads to players with a good/great feel for the game (see Curry, Steph and even Ray Mac), and (b) had a couple of years in Denver under George Karl, who is by all accounts among the most respected coaches in the entire league, and a strong Denver front office. And yet Javale hasn't really come to prove capable of improving his feel for the game (ala DeAndre Jordan, with whom he was on a relatively level playing field when they were drafted but is now one of the top two or three defensive bigs in the game) and is still prone to legitimately knuckleheaded moves. Javale's been in the league for five years now, is now 26, and still making just as many dumb mistakes and mental errors as he was when he first entered the league.

Would I want JaVale on my team as a spot utility player? Sure. But considering the fact that he's getting paid 10 million dollars a year, there's no way that I'd take him. In fact, I'd rather we bring in Sanders over him, which at this point is kinda like saying I'd rather get my left leg sawed off under the knee than my right one above the knee.

Those are not remotely the same thing. For the most part, a lot of Demarcus's problems could be traced back (a) stigma from his high school days and (b) coming into the league under the most dysfunctional front office in all of pro sports. Meanwhile, JaVale is (a) the son of a former coach/player (his mom), which generally leads to players with a good/great feel for the game (see Curry, Steph and even Ray Mac), and (b) had a couple of years in Denver under George Karl, who is by all accounts among the most respected coaches in the entire league, and a strong Denver front office. And yet Javale hasn't really come to prove capable of improving his feel for the game (ala DeAndre Jordan, with whom he was on a relatively level playing field when they were drafted but is now one of the top two or three defensive bigs in the game) and is still prone to legitimately knuckleheaded moves. Javale's been in the league for five years now, is now 26, and still making just as many dumb mistakes and mental errors as he was when he first entered the league.

Would I want JaVale on my team as a spot utility player? Sure. But considering the fact that he's getting paid 10 million dollars a year, there's no way that I'd take him. In fact, I'd rather we bring in Sanders over him, which at this point is kinda like saying I'd rather get my left leg sawed off under the knee than my right one above the knee.
Well, that's your opinion man.
But probably you were just watching Shaqtin a Fool to say all these things to McGee.

IMO, you don't get McGee to play spot minutes. You play him as starter next to DMC.
And he can be a good compliment to DMC there because of his physical tools.

I'm not a die hard McGee fan, but I did follow the Wiz and Denver for some good games because I like to follow the fast PGs in the league in John Wall and Lawson. And I personally think, that cost most of McGee's ill-advised TOs. The game is just too fast with Wall and Lawson.
The kid is not the quickest thinker out there. But he is not a mentally retarded player like some people want you to think.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
But probably you were just watching Shaqtin a Fool to say all these things to McGee.

IMO, you don't get McGee to play spot minutes. You play him as starter next to DMC.

I'm not a die hard McGee fan, but I did follow the Wiz and Denver for some good games because I like to follow the fast PGs in the league in John Wall and Lawson. And I personally think, that cost most of McGee's ill-advised TOs. The game is just too fast with Wall and Lawson.
The kid is not the quickest thinker out there. But he is not a mentally retarded player like some people want you to think.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

I wasn't implying that you said Cousins was stupid. You missed my point. One has a problem controlling his emotions at times. The other is stupid!!!!!!!! You can learn to control your emotions, but stupid is stupid. You can't just decide that hey, this year I'm not going to be stupid. There's a reason McGee makes one bonehead play after another. Its called low IQ, and IQ is something you either have, or you don't. Its like running. You can either run fast, or you can't, and if you can't, you never will.

I wasn't implying that you said Cousins was stupid. You missed my point. One has a problem controlling his emotions at times. The other is stupid!!!!!!!! You can learn to control your emotions, but stupid is stupid. You can't just decide that hey, this year I'm not going to be stupid. There's a reason McGee makes one bonehead play after another. Its called low IQ, and IQ is something you either have, or you don't. Its like running. You can either run fast, or you can't, and if you can't, you never will.
Well according to science you can't really say that.
I don't want to go full geek mode but let's just say you should not tell your kid that he will stupid for life because in most cases he won't be.
Even low IQ individuals are proven to be able to get to improve their IQ given the right training, environment, and practices.

the real trouble isn't even on the offensive end with McGee. for all his shotblocking, he's a downright terrible defender. he roams, misses defensive assignments, rotates incorrectly, and can't really guard one-on-one either. he does get the occasional spectacular block, but I've seen smart teams simply attacking the guy once he gets into the game. add to that his stagnation as a player and his massive contract, and it adds up to a serious no-go. with Sanders, there's a considerable amount of evidence that he can actually play, McGee is all potential and blooper reels.

Last edited:

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Well according to science you can't really say that.
I don't want to go full geek mode but let's just say you should not tell your kid that he will stupid for life because in most cases he won't be.
Even low IQ individuals are proven to be able to get to improve their IQ given the right training, environment, and practices.
I'd like to see some links that show this. It is true that some may be a little more disadvantaged on IQ tests than others but this guy did not grow up in poverty or so I presume. Any change in IQ that could occur is minimal and I doubt if that "right training" will do anything to help him function on the basketball court despite bringing about a minimal raise in IQ points. It still remains that he might not be very bright and certainly far less bright than Cousins. We're all guessing here but the guess is reasonable.

I pity the kid. This whole Shaqtin a Fool has turned him into a public clown or that no IQ -low IQ guy that most youtube viewers here understand him to be. But I'm a believer that NBA teams do have credible doctors before they hand out 11million per year contracts to the so called no IQ player out there. Or before they trade a prime Nene.

Remember Hassan Whiteside and that IQ thing? Other teams could have already signed that kid if NBA teams don't have these credible doc to help screen players' mental issues.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I pity the kid. This whole Shaqtin a Fool has turned him into a public clown or that no IQ -low IQ guy that most youtube viewers here understand him to be. But I'm a believer that NBA teams do have credible doctors before they hand out 11million per year contracts to the so called no IQ player out there. Or before they trade a prime Nene.

Remember Hassan Whiteside and that IQ thing? Other teams could have already signed that kid if NBA teams don't have these credible doc to help screen players' mental issues.
Except doctors have relatively nothing to do with IQ. Hell, IQ has little to do with basketball IQ.

Frank Gore had a legendarily bad score on his Wonderlic test during the NBA combine which means jacksquat because he has an incredible sense of where the creases are going to form in a defensive front and knows where he needs to be to make a play.

What we're saying is that McGee has yet to display even the slightest glimmer that he is actually developing the ability to see things play out before him and react. Hell, the dude could be a nimrod incapable of tying his own shoes but I wouldn't mind as long as he consistently ran back in transition, maintained good defensive rotations, and was a good presence in the locker room.

Yes, he received an 11 million dollar contract but that was largely due to the tidal wave of big men receiving gaudy contracts at the time (still happening, I mean Louis Amundson is getting paid millions to be tall and not much else) and the ever-important specter of potential (he was still an improvable 23 at the time), something that has yet to come to fruition since then. And that 11 million dollar contract sure worked out great for the Nuggets, especially the part where they had to relinquish their best player in order to sneak under the cap last season.

we'd be on shaqtin a fool weekly and cuz would probably kill him before the end of the season.

i guess you didn't see the play where he ran down the court to play d when they had still had possession. lol