Imbuing a different mindset

We have all been following with allegiance after all the scenarios and the drama on the Kings basketball team department, and I reckon that we can all testify that we are pretty much satisfied by the well-done job the Kings made this off-season, some remarkable acquisitions of very decent players like Marco Belinelli, Kosta Koufos and Quincy Acy, resigning the ultimate "glue guy" and fan favorite Omri Casspi, drafting a very promising PF/C called Willie Cauley Stein, and then the landing of Rajon Rondo.

We can all agree that the Kings have a true chance to redeem their name from a low-level team to an uprising force in the very dominant and competitive west, but in order to do just that, something should change in our perception, in our perspective, we need to bequeath the winning method to both the players and ourselves, we have all the things we need in order to be a strong and a threatening team.

Initially I believe that the players should make us believe that we really have what it takes in order to be a playoff team, they have to connect, they have to play together, the managment have to solicit them to being winners, it's really a mental war against the defeatism that unfortunately most players and also fans had to unwillingly embrace as the years were passing on.

We have a young and promising squad which are aspiring to make a change in the Sacramento Kings team for a while I believe, supported by a former King who is also our vice president of basketball and franchise operations Vlade Divac, who was a part of what might have been the best Kings squad in history.
He can bequeath that change.

As far as I can see the ambitions of the management are compatible with both the players and the fans, and the way I see it, it is time to make it happen, I expect our players to play winning basketball, to have a winning mindset, I truly believe that if the players are capable to make this mental transition in their minds, there will be nothing that could stop us from making the playoffs.

Let's go Kings.

Waaaaay to many things would have to go perfectly right for this squad to make the playoffs and I don't see it happening BUT you are right tho, it certainly is possible IF they can get over that mental hump.

i see it happening. Its not unrealistic by any means. Every player we bought in during FA is basically a known commodity. If Rondo, Cousins and Karl keep this drama free for the majority of the season we will be fine.

29, 28, 28, 22, 24, 25, 17... # of wins Kings put up over each of last seven miserable, pathetic, disgusting seasons.

I would be ecstatic if Kings made playoffs but very happy just to get far-far beyond such misery. .500 should be the realistic goal and anything more would be minor miracle with what we've been through, almost losing franchise, with so many self-inflicted horrors to endure. We've only very recently been able to see, feel, real hope - basically because of one man riding to the rescue - Vlade Divac. Now I'm just content to see it all unfold in a positive way, the positive Sacramento Kings for a change.

Waaaaay to many things would have to go perfectly right for this squad to make the playoffs and I don't see it happening BUT you are right tho, it certainly is possible IF they can get over that mental hump.
Wrong.

A whole TON of things would have to go wrong for the Kings NOT to make the playoffs.

-Rondo would have to rebel against Karl. Not likely given that Karl gives his PGs a lot of freedom, and Rondo needs to repair his image.

-Cousins and Karl would have to act like children and refuse to get along. Not likely with Vlade in the room.

-WCS would have to be a total bust. Not likely. He's probably the most bust-proof lottery pick. His strengths easily translate to the NBA.

-The team would have to not gel. Very unlikely given all the new vet additions. The knuckleheads have been shipped out.

If all of those things go wrong, we don't make the playoffs.

If most of them go right, we do.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
There is an opening here, a legit one for a team to snag a #8 seed. Even if you ignore the possibility New Orleans' coach change doesn't do the trick, all the #8 seed candidates are deeply flawed. This does not figure to be a need 50 wins to get into the playoffs type year out here.

Dallas is old and lacks depth. They've taken to just signing anybody and everybody off the scrap heap to try to bolster thin ranks. One old man or guy coming off a major surgery goes down and they are done.

Phoenix got caught. They gambled on Chandler getting them Aldridge, lost. lost their depth. Have a pissed off Markieff threatening to screw up their chemistry. Their bench is all kids.

Utah never did have the star to be a true rising power, but their defense and fast close to last season had them looking like a team ready to at least sneak into the 40s winwise and maybe make a run at the playoffs. But they are very very young. So young in fact they basically did nothing to bolster their troops this offseason. And then of course they lost Exum, who despite lousy stats was still miles better than Trey Burke. They are a young team without a star trying to make its first playoff run without a decent PG. In the West.

That #8 seed is open to any team, and I do mean any team, who can make a strong run at 45. Note our coach is not used to missing the playoffs. Nor are most of our major free agent acquisitions. That was the point. We went from a youngish team with a bunch of guys who just hoped to make the playoffs, to a veteran crew with a bunch of guys who flat expect to make them.

Last edited:
The Warriors, Spurs, Rockets, Clippers, Thunder, & Grizzlies are locks for the playoffs, barring major injuries. That would leave #7 & #8 seeds up for grabs to:
Pelicans,
Mavericks,
Jazz,
Suns,
Kings,​
I think, even #7th seed is not a remote possibility this season.

I think Rondo would be the only reason we didn't make the playoffs. If he's bad and it takes too long to bench him it could hurt us I think all he has to be is an average pg for us to make the playoffs.
Our bench will seriously be very good this year. Off my head I can't think of a better pg off the bench in the league than you add a sharp shooter as well as a defensive anchor in Kpufos.

Vlade has done a fantastic job in bringing in not only guys to fill our numerous gaping holes and raise both our talent level and our basketball IQ (a monumental feat, in and of, itself) but also in acquiring character guys, used to winning. Mindset, culture, call it what you will. I expect to see the swagger back. Throw in the copious amounts of locker room billboard worthy crap the media keeps spewing, and you get a team, with swagger, who expects to win AND has something to prove. This team is going to be downright dangerous.
Many fans are reluctant to dare to hope. We have had so much disappointment, so many seasons of losing, it has become ingrained in many people as our lot as fans. "Well, the last 9 years we only won, blah, blah, blah" , "It's such a big jump from winning under 30 to being relevant" etc., etc. There is a couple who sit a few rows below us, they have jackets they wear that say "Win or Lose, I'm a Kings fan" While that is a sweet sentiment (and one that is so true) it is also indicative of the almost palpable, small market, we are just lucky to have a team, mentality that has been drilled into us. Yes, we ARE lucky to have a team, but we fought for that team, against all odds, and we won. We are pretty badass. We are winners.
This season, it is time to look to the future. Our team, our new Arena being built, a new era. The past has no bearing, the slate has been wiped clean. I EXPECT this team to win.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Warriors, Spurs, Rockets, Clippers, Thunder, & Grizzlies are locks for the playoffs, barring major injuries. That would leave #7 & #8 seeds up for grabs to:
Pelicans,
Mavericks,
Jazz,
Suns,
Kings,​
I think, even #7th seed is not a remote possibility this season.
I would agree. But again, one major injury to most of those teams (Curry, Harden, CP3, Durant, Gasol etc) and another spot opens up. I don't want that to be the case as I never want to root for anybody to get injured but it is the reality of the NBA. OKC was penciled in as a top 3 team in the West last preseason and injuries derailed their season.

And of course that holds true for the Kings too. If Boogie goes down for a huge chunk of the season then the Kings chances of the postseason very likely go with him. The Kings need to gel quickly, have good team chemistry (both between players and between Karl and Cousins and Karl and Rondo), Rondo needs to look like his old self and the team needs to stay relatively healthy.

Interesting to look at this graphic and see that (not surprisingly) the teams that made the playoffs largely didn't miss a ton of games.

The outliers are the Rockets and Cavs (and this doesn't even take into account the post season where Cleveland really got bit) and it supports the idea that Harden perhaps should've been MVP given that he shouldered a heavier load and carried an much more injured team throughout the season. And Philly and Denver were full of young kids who stayed injury free but didn't have the talent to win.

The Kings were middle of the pack but (1) they didn't have enough talent or depth to withstand injuries last year and (2) the guys that they lost for the largest number of games were their undisputed best player and IMO their third best player in Collison.

The Kings are poised for a surprise year. After all that happened last season (Malone fired, the Corbin disaster, the historically awful bench, Boogie missing 23 games, DC missing half the year, PDA and Mullin, DWill the coke machine, the lack of veteran leadership etc) the Kings won 29 games. With Karl having a full training camp, and hopefully a healthy year with a MUCH improved bench and additional growth from Cousins and McLemore, I have to believe there are very strong odds that the Kings make a leap this season. 7th seed, 8th seed. I'm actually not just hoping for playoffs this year - I'm expecting it. And I agree, Rondo might actually be the real barometer on whether or not those expectations are justified.

But to have the team make the playoffs next year and then to open up a new arena looking to take yet another leap forward? Yeah. That'd do nicely.

Why is that? I believe that the Kings will be able to clinch a spot in the 7th or 8th spot on the Western conference playoffs, I think our major competitors for those spots are probably the New Orleans Pelicans and the Utah Jazz, and if to be frank I can not see how both of those teams are superior than us, I don't believe that we are inferior to those teams, to be honest I think that we are way stronger than the Utah Jazz, their best player as for now is Gordon Hayward and they have two major talented players at the PG spot and the C spot, Trey Burke and Rudy Gobert, but the difference is that we have two established great players in those spots, who almost fulfilled any perimeter in their game, Rajon Rondo and DeMarcus Cousins (still didn't fulfill his entire potential, sky is truly the limit for this guy), therefore, I reckon that the Kings will be able to take the Utah Jazz out of the playoffs equation.

Our major battle as I was saying will probably be against the very promising New Orleans Pelicans and there very strong and talented upcoming superstar and franchise player Anthony Davis, they will make it hard for us, but in this one I am pretty positive that are bench will set the tone in this rivalry for a playoff spot, due to the fact that I believe that our bench was transformed this off-season to a very lethal bench, one of the most decent benches around the league.

Speaking of mindset and the moves made by Vlade... this has been a great offseason... what if Vlade does equally as well next season... and the following season? Snowball effect! My standards for the front office might actually go from "Sadistic apologist" to "Hopeful".

Why is that? I believe that the Kings will be able to clinch a spot in the 7th or 8th spot on the Western conference playoffs, I think our major competitors for those spots are probably the New Orleans Pelicans and the Utah Jazz, and if to be frank I can not see how both of those teams are superior than us, I don't believe that we are inferior to those teams, to be honest I think that we are way stronger than the Utah Jazz, their best player as for now is Gordon Hayward and they have two major talented players at the PG spot and the C spot, Trey Burke and Rudy Gobert, but the difference is that we have two established great players in those spots, who almost fulfilled any perimeter in their game, Rajon Rondo and DeMarcus Cousins (still didn't fulfill his entire potential, sky is truly the limit for this guy), therefore, I reckon that the Kings will be able to take the Utah Jazz out of the playoffs equation.
:eek:

The Kings have a bigger up hill battle than those other teams. Our team not having a lead guard really really hurts. Rondo will be a major key to our season.

There is an opening here, a legit one for a team to snag a #8 seed. Even if you ignore the possibility New Orleans' coach change doesn't do the trick, all the #8 seed candidates are deeply flawed. This does not figure to be a need 50 wins to get into the playoffs type year out here.

Dallas is old and lacks depth. They've taken to just signing anybody and everybody off the scrap heap to try to bolster thin ranks. One old man or guy coming off a major surgery goes down and they are done.

Phoenix got caught. They gambled on Chandler getting them Aldridge, lost. lost their depth. Have a pissed off Markieff threatening to screw up their chemistry. Their bench is all kids.

Utah never did have the star to be a true rising power, but their defense and fast close to last season had them looking like a team ready to at least sneak into the 40s winwise and maybe make a run at the playoffs. But they are very very young. So young in fact they basically did nothing to bolster their troops this offseason. And then of course they lost Exum, who despite lousy stats was still miles better than Trey Burke. They are a young team without a star trying to make its first playoff run without a decent PG. In the West.

That #8 seed is open to any team, and I do mean any team, who can make a strong run at 45. Note our coach is not used to missing the playoffs. Nor are most of our major free agent acquisitions. That was the point. We went from a youngish team with a bunch of guys who just hoped to make the playoffs, to a veteran crew with a bunch of guys who flat expect to make them.
The Kings have bigger problems than any of those teams. I think we will make the playoffs, but it's not going to be easy. I think if every single team has a good and healthy season at their max, we are only the 3rd best team. Pelicans and Mavs would be better than us.

I think you're buying really low on the Mavs.

PG- Deron Williams, Devin Harris, JJ Barrea, Raymond Felton
SG- Wesley Matthews, John Jenkins
SF- Chandler Parsons, Justin Anderson, Jeremy Evans
PF- Dirk Nowitzki, JaValee McGee, Dwight Powell
C- ZaZa Pachulia , Samuel Dalembert

Then they have a bunch of random young guys.

I think their sole season would depend on Dirk. If he's injured, they're a 20W team.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
There is a reason for optimism because quite frankly...that's all we can afford to do at this point considering the last decade of Kings basketball 0_o

The Kings have bigger problems than any of those teams. I think we will make the playoffs, but it's not going to be easy. I think if every single team has a good and healthy season at their max, we are only the 3rd best team. Pelicans and Mavs would be better than us.

I think their sole season would depend on Dirk. If he's injured, they're a 20W team.
Have you seen Dirk play he's done as a #1 option. DWill is washed up beyond measures, parsons and Wes are both coming off serious injury, and there front court is laughable.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Hardly buying low.

-- Deron has played like he's done for several years now, and has a bone on bone knee situation. He's played 70 games 1 time in the last 5 years, and was actually benched last season and came off the bench for 13 games. He shot .387 on the season. Devin Harris shot .418 last year, which was better than his .378 the year before. Barea got up to .420 last year after being at .387 the year before. And then you have fat Felton. There's no guarantee they have a single PG who is going to shoot 40% for them, let alone stay healthy.

-- Matthews is of course coming off an Achilles. Even if it holds they are going to have to be a careful, and there is no acceptable backup. If he's out Barea or Harris are 8ppg starting SGs.

-- Parsons suffered a big mysterious knee injury last April. The Mavs have mysteriously kept it secret, leading people to wonder if it may have even been microfracture surgery: http://thesmokingcuban.com/2015/05/21/whats-up-with-chandler-parsons-knee/

-- Dirk finally looked done last season. Defensively especially where he just can't guard anyone anymore (much like DWill). And as the season wore on he seemed to wear down. He did suck it up to give them a few good games in April as they fought for playoff posiitoning, but after the All Star break he was 15.4pts on .440 shooting and terrible at all other aspects of the game. Now he's a year older, 37, going into his 18th season, and you are asking even more of him? Not just for a couple of weeks or a single playoff series, but asking him to carry you day to day for a full season? And if he breaks down, or they have to milk his minutes again, his backup is Josh Powel. Uh oh. (actually didn't they resign Charlie V. too? more uh oh).

-- and then you have the centers, where Zaza Pachulia is now the "star". Dalembert got released mid year last year. Nobody wanted him. Javale got released mid year last year. Nobody wanted him. You can call JaVale a wildcard because he's one of the few Mavs with any youth/potential to be more than he looks, but he's years from even just being the dumbass he was mocked as.

A lot of unlikely things have to happen for that squad to make a run at things. And just one or two things go predictably wrong and oh boy, they could freefall.

Last edited:
Not sure if you are being serious, but Trey Burke scored about 12.8 points per game last season, how can you compare him to Ray McCallum, do me a favor here man.... I never said he is a legend but he is a young talent with potential.
A player who takes 13.2 shots to average 12.8 PPG is not a player you should be labeling "talented"

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think we can all agree that this current team is more talented than last years team. At least on paper, which of course wins you nothing. And, I think we can all agree that last years team dramatically underachieved, with emphasis on Drama. Not that it was all their fault. Three different head coaches in one year never leads to a good outcome. Throw in the total dysfunction in the front office, and well, you see the result. Point is, last years team should have won more games than it did. However, I doubt anyone but the most optimistic saw them as a playoff team. I certainly didn't, and that would have been OK for me. I just wanted to see improvement, and when the season started, it looked like we were on our way to what, for the Kings would have been a solid season of hope.

Of course we all know the story that followed. Now unlike many of you, I wasn't as optimistic about how the season would have fared if Malone had been given a chance to continue, and that's not a knock on Malone. I liked him, but thought at times he lacked creativity on offense. I'm just not a big fan of isolation basketball, but then, that's just me. The NBA giveth and the NBA taketh away. Meaning that the league was going to adjust to what the Kings were doing, and if the team couldn't adjust, the wins were going to become harder to come by. Now that's just my opinion, but it's an opinion formed by watching the NBA for over 50 years. I've seen it happen time and again. There's a reason why certain head coaches are always at the top of the heap. Talent aside. It's because they always find a way to adjust. And, that's where experienced players come into play.

This current team is far more experienced than last years team. It's loaded with players that know how to play the game, and folks, that's worth ten more wins alone. Along with the added experience, they're also more talented. Add a HOF coach into that mix, and I don't see a problem making the playoffs. I haven't said that in a long time. Go back the last seven or so years and find one post where I said that the Kings would make the playoffs. You won't! But I'am saying it this year. Yeah, I know, if Cousins goes down for an extended period of time, then the season goes down with him. Well maybe! Last season I bitched all year about the Kings not signing a legit backup center. I knew that if Cousins went down, we were totally doomed. The drop off from Cousins to JT was like the difference between a 9.0 earthquake and a 2.0 earthquake.

This year, while I certainly hope the Kings can go injury free, the drop off between Cousins and Koufos, and or WCS isn't nearly as dramatic. It's not ideal, but I think this team could adjust, and still put some wins on the board in Cousins absence. Now if for some reason Cousins went down for the season, then all bets are off. In short, I don't think everything has to go just perfect for the Kings to make the playoffs, I think everything has to go, well, normal. If everyone plays their normal consistent game, which is why they were signed, then this team should make the playoffs. Will I be disappointed if they just fall short? No! Well, mildly maybe, depending how they do it. To echo others, I believe that Rondo is the key to this season. I'm far more worried about him than I'am how Cousins and Karl get along.

Cousins, Rondo, and Karl all have one important thing in common. All three hate losing. Karl wants to enhance his legacy, and Cousins wants to be the best player in the NBA and win a championship. Rondo wants to prove all the naysayers wrong. So they have all the incentive they need. The Kings have three potential all stars on their roster in Cousins, Gay, and Rondo. Can Utah say that? Can New Orleans say that? I'll be more surprised if we don't make the playoffs than if we do. If we don't end up competing for that 8th spot, then there's something wrong in River City.

I think we can all agree that this current team is more talented than last years team. At least on paper, which of course wins you nothing. And, I think we can all agree that last years team dramatically underachieved, with emphasis on Drama. Not that it was all their fault. Three different head coaches in one year never leads to a good outcome. Throw in the total dysfunction in the front office, and well, you see the result. Point is, last years team should have won more games than it did. However, I doubt anyone but the most optimistic saw them as a playoff team. I certainly didn't, and that would have been OK for me. I just wanted to see improvement, and when the season started, it looked like we were on our way to what, for the Kings would have been a solid season of hope.

Of course we all know the story that followed. Now unlike many of you, I wasn't as optimistic about how the season would have fared if Malone had been given a chance to continue, and that's not a knock on Malone. I liked him, but thought at times he lacked creativity on offense. I'm just not a big fan of isolation basketball, but then, that's just me. The NBA giveth and the NBA taketh away. Meaning that the league was going to adjust to what the Kings were doing, and if the team couldn't adjust, the wins were going to become harder to come by. Now that's just my opinion, but it's an opinion formed by watching the NBA for over 50 years. I've seen it happen time and again. There's a reason why certain head coaches are always at the top of the heap. Talent aside. It's because they always find a way to adjust. And, that's where experienced players come into play.

This current team is far more experienced than last years team. It's loaded with players that know how to play the game, and folks, that's worth ten more wins alone. Along with the added experience, they're also more talented. Add a HOF coach into that mix, and I don't see a problem making the playoffs. I haven't said that in a long time. Go back the last seven or so years and find one post where I said that the Kings would make the playoffs. You won't! But I'am saying it this year. Yeah, I know, if Cousins goes down for an extended period of time, then the season goes down with him. Well maybe! Last season I bitched all year about the Kings not signing a legit backup center. I knew that if Cousins went down, we were totally doomed. The drop off from Cousins to JT was like the difference between a 9.0 earthquake and a 2.0 earthquake.

This year, while I certainly hope the Kings can go injury free, the drop off between Cousins and Koufos, and or WCS isn't nearly as dramatic. It's not ideal, but I think this team could adjust, and still put some wins on the board in Cousins absence. Now if for some reason Cousins went down for the season, then all bets are off. In short, I don't think everything has to go just perfect for the Kings to make the playoffs, I think everything has to go, well, normal. If everyone plays their normal consistent game, which is why they were signed, then this team should make the playoffs. Will I be disappointed if they just fall short? No! Well, mildly maybe, depending how they do it. To echo others, I believe that Rondo is the key to this season. I'm far more worried about him than I'am how Cousins and Karl get along.

Cousins, Rondo, and Karl all have one important thing in common. All three hate losing. Karl wants to enhance his legacy, and Cousins wants to be the best player in the NBA and win a championship. Rondo wants to prove all the naysayers wrong. So they have all the incentive they need. The Kings have three potential all stars on their roster in Cousins, Gay, and Rondo. Can Utah say that? Can New Orleans say that? I'll be more surprised if we don't make the playoffs than if we do. If we don't end up competing for that 8th spot, then there's something wrong in River City.
Soooo you're saying that PDA played the long game and actually cared about this franchise the whole time? All according to plan?
upload_2015-8-26_14-30-25.jpeg

Er...we have 2 lead guards. One of only a handful of teams with that luxury.
Sorry, I meant to say a GOOD lead guard.

Collison and Rondo isn't anything to brag about.. Rondo is basically on the same level as Deron Williams, but maybe a little worse. The only difference is their contract.

Let's look at good lead guards in each playoff team.

GSW- Curry
Spurs-Parker/Ginoboli
Clippers-CP3
Rockets-Harden
Grizzlies-Conley
Blazers-Lillard
Mavs- no one
Pelicans-Tyreke

ATL- Teague
Cavaliers- Irving
Bulls- Rose
Raptors-Lowry
Wizards- Wall
Bucks- no one
Celtics- no one

Nets- Johnson

We need a real lead guard. Even though I listed the Bucks and Celtics, the Bucks still have MCW and Middleton, while the Celtics have IT(not much to brag about as a lead guard).

We're gambling on Rondo being able to get to at least 75%.(If he can get to his old self, this team is going to be amazing.) We have 2 potential good PGs which is a great luxury in the league.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Funny, we were beating the most difficult schedule in the league early last season with our "good" lead guard of Collison. He fit what this team needed. Let's see what happens once he is back. And let's give Rondo a chance to see what he can do under Karl.

Edit - and if you look back, a lot of the things you were saying are things I also said about him and I wasn't supportive of his coming here. However, he is here now, and he seems to have the support of Karl and DMC. So let's give it a chance before we doom it to failure. I have my concerns, but having Collison waiting in the wings alleviates those somewhat. Neither of those two have played under Karl so we don't really know what we will get from either one at this point. But both are vet PG and know how to play the game.

Last edited:
Funny, we were beating the most difficult schedule in the league early last season with our "good" lead guard of Collison. He fit what this team needed. Let's see what happens once he is back. And let's give Rondo a chance to see what he can do under Karl.

Edit - and if you look back, a lot of the things you were saying are things I also said about him and I wasn't supportive of his coming here. However, he is here now, and he seems to have the support of Karl and DMC. So let's give it a chance before we doom it to failure. I have my concerns, but having Collison waiting in the wings alleviates those somewhat. Neither of those two have played under Karl so we don't really know what we will get from either one at this point. But both are vet PG and know how to play the game.
Collision is a very good player, but he's the 3rd-4th best on any team in the NBA. Not sure how you can call him a good lead guard when he's missing the "lead" part. We saw it this year when we asked him to step up in the absence of Cuz and Gay. It's the same scenario we saw for Ray. We asked Ray to step up in the absence of Collison, and he didn't because he's not a starting PG just like how Collison isn't a player to lead a team.

Maybe we can be one of those teams that can make the playoffs without a lead guard.

I'm honestly very excited for Rondo. I only made those comments up there about him because it was only fair considering how Deron Williams has been talked about. If you want to call Williams gone and out, the same should be said for Rondo too. Both players are probably on their last boat. Rondo more than Williams.