I found myself on Google Earth

Ryan

I like turtles
Kind of creepy. I'm on the far right with the white shirt and sunglasses. This is in front of Hash House (aka Hangover Heaven) in San Diego.

Last edited:

Ryan

I like turtles
It looks like Ryan was looking right at the Street View camera car as it went by, so he knew he would probably show up at that address the next time it was updated.
Yeah, I saw it drive by. I looked up the location a few times a year to see when they updated it.

It is creepy. Spy satellites can actually see a great deal of detail from up in orbit. Be able to do that for a long time. Creeps me out how we have less and less privacy. It would not suprise me if they could read out thoughts some day. :cool:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It is creepy. Spy satellites can actually see a great deal of detail from up in orbit. Be able to do that for a long time. Creeps me out how we have less and less privacy. It would not suprise me if they could read our thoughts some day. :cool:
I almost feel sorry for them if they attempt to read my thoughts. I have enough trouble with them and I'm the one thinking them. They start poking around in my brain and they're liable to find things that have been lost for decades.

;)

It is creepy. Spy satellites can actually see a great deal of detail from up in orbit. Be able to do that for a long time. Creeps me out how we have less and less privacy. It would not suprise me if they could read out thoughts some day. :cool:
It's not a satellite. Google has a van that has cameras mounted on it and they drive the streets uploading the data. It's pretty cool though. They're also planning to map out popular trails that aren't car accessible sometime soon. The street view on Google maps helped me choose this house in Stockton before I rented it :).

It's not a satellite. Google has a van that has cameras mounted on it and they drive the streets uploading the data. It's pretty cool though. They're also planning to map out popular trails that aren't car accessible sometime soon. The street view on Google maps helped me choose this house in Stockton before I rented it :).
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I know they use camera cars. My son actually works for Navteq and Google used to be one of their clients. Recently, he's been working on urban projects where non-street pedestrian routes are being mapped, like Golden Gate Park in SF. It will also tell the user what hours the path or trail is open/closed & other info.

I was just reminded of satellite imagery. My brother worked in imagery, geodetics, mapping for the feds (retired now). He once said he was looking at a satellite image of Ghana. There was a basketball court. He could see there was no net on the basketball rims. This was from an orbiting satellite years ago. :eek:

Last edited: