Grant Napear filling in for JIM ROME????

Did anyone else listen to Romes show on Thursday. Toward the end of the show he announce who would be filling in for him while he was away on vacation. If I heard correctly Grant is suppose to be the show host on Jan. 4th. Did I hear that correctly? Theres no way Grant would be filling in for Jim. Maybe I was hearing things..........

I'd have to agree that you were hearing things. Although I don't have much Rome time available these days.

If he said Grant it's probably not Napear.

I'm forgot what day he is going to host. But I did here him say Napier was going to host from Sactown.

if he can't handle the callers from Sac, how the heck is he going to handle the clones. This should be interesting. Time to bring out the recliner and popcorn for this one.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Oh that'll be rich. Grant Napear, the biggest Jim Rome wannabe in the world, actually filling in for his idol? If I didn't detest Rome even more than Napear, I might actually give a moment's thought - and I do mean "a moment" - to trying to find a way to listen.

Hey, wait. If enough people like Howdy Doody, does that mean he might move on up in the world of annoying sports broadcasters and get a job where he really wants it - back in New York?

Hrm.

VF21 scurries off to begin drafting that "Wow! Grant Napear is really good!" email to send to whomever might be able to get him out of Sacramento...

Really? Grant will be hosting in the Jungle? Hm. Doesn't make sense at all but if two of you heard it then it sounds pretty legit. I'll believe it when I hear it though.

Oh that'll be rich. Grant Napear, the biggest Jim Rome wannabe in the world, actually filling in for his idol? If I didn't detest Rome even more than Napear, I might actually give a moment's thought - and I do mean "a moment" - to trying to find a way to listen.

Hey, wait. If enough people like Howdy Doody, does that mean he might move on up in the world of annoying sports broadcasters and get a job where he really wants it - back in New York?

Hrm.

VF21 scurries off to begin drafting that "Wow! Grant Napear is really good!" email to send to whomever might be able to get him out of Sacramento...
Me too :D

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Really? Grant will be hosting in the Jungle? Hm. Doesn't make sense at all but if two of you heard it then it sounds pretty legit. I'll believe it when I hear it though.
I heard it as well (in passing) on 1140 last week. Don't recall the date, but I thought they said on a Friday.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
I am so happy that I am at work during the Jim Rome show and can't have a radio at work. I'm not sure who is worse.......Rome or Napier. :p

Nice to see all the Rome haters coming through... and I know many DON'T like him. Trust me, I get heat if his voice even touches the eardrums of some around me. lol

Warhawk

Staff member
Nice to see all the Rome haters coming through... and I know many DON'T like him. Trust me, I get heat if his voice even touches the eardrums of some around me. lol
There is a difference between "hate" and just not really caring for his show. Just really does nothing for me....

I listen to Rome on my way to work. this should be interesting to hear Grant fill in on Friday.

I always thought J.T. The Brick was a Rome wannabe more so than Grant. But then I heard Grant, and Brick were really good friends so it wouldn't suprise me that Grant has secret crush on both of them.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Aww, all you guys hate Grant with such vigor. Makes me wonder if secretly, you love to hate him... ;)
What is it about not liking someone or his show that makes us "haters" as though it's the worst thing on earth?

I personally do not like Jim Rome's attitude, his style or on-air persona. And no, I don't love to hate him. I have a respect for a lot of sports commentators/analysts. Jim Rome is not among that group. What's so hard to understand?

Why focus on the word haters. It's a loose term in the context here. To me it's a label applied to people who are more negative than positive when discussing another person. I know you don't HATE him.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I personally cannot stand the term "haters" and cannot remember even one post made better by its use.

Warhawk

Staff member
OK. Got it. You detest Jim Rome, Howdy Doody and cannot stand the term haters. Thanks for your time.
But the point is, there is no "hate". Just because we don't like his show you start throwing the "haters" term around.

Doesn't make sense.

That's like saying I'm a sushi "hater". No, I've tried it, it's OK, but I'd rather buy orange chicken. Doesn't mean I'm a sushi "hater".

But the point is, there is no "hate". Just because we don't like his show you start throwing the "haters" term around.

Doesn't make sense.

That's like saying I'm a sushi "hater". No, I've tried it, it's OK, but I'd rather buy orange chicken. Doesn't mean I'm a sushi "hater".
Do you detest sushi though?

Last edited:

Warhawk

Staff member
Do you detest sushi though?
Not at all. I tried about 4 different kinds. Just meh. Didn't dislike it and didn't really like it.

There are things I hate. Murderers, rapists, child molesters for starters. There are things I dislike, like asparagus, cooked spinach, soap operas, and the Lakers (Kobe, a rare case, as a person fits in both of these, I think ;) ). Then there are things like Jim Rome and sushi that neither appeal to me nor not appeal to me. And if that's the case, I won't waste my time with it when other choices are available (like orange chicken or another radio station).

Obviously there is a whole sliding scale on these things and it's hard to classify things cleanly. But I think you get the idea.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
"Hater" is nothing more than the rallying cry of people who refuse to accept that you have a valid reason for not thinking that whatever they like is as great as they think it is.

Basically, it's the coward's way out of an argument; it's an allegation that can only be "proven" with anecdotal evidence, anyway.

"Hater" is nothing more than the rallying cry of people who refuse to accept that you have a valid reason for not thinking that whatever they like is as great as they think it is.

Basically, it's the coward's way out of an argument; it's an allegation that can only be "proven" with anecdotal evidence, anyway.
Oh is that right? Thanks captain, dictionary. And what does Detest mean?

For those out of the signal area you can now listen to KHTK Sports 1140 live at http://www.sports1140.com

For what it's worth, I'm no fan of Napear at all and I never go out of my way to listen to Rome. My biggest beef with Napear is he's WAY too much into "his" NYC pro teams (at the expense of 49ers, Kings, A's, Giants, etc.) and extremely arrogant on radio - unlike his partner Mike Lamb who is more California laid back. I heard Napear say once, "I'm not a Kings fan and not a homer for them - just a sports broadcaster, period." But it's obvious if he were broadcasting games for the NY Yankees or NY Giants he wouldn't say the same thing.

Young and smooth delivery Jason Ross (pretty much the voice of KHTK) might be the next voice of the Kings whenever the G Man steps down - going on 23 years broadcasting the organizations games.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Yeah, detest actually does mean real hate... but real hate is not synonymous with being a "hater," nor is being a "hater" the act of exhibiting real hatred. You wouldn't say that someone who detested something or somebody was a "hater." Someone, for example, who is racist because they detest black people isn't a hater; he's just an ******* with psychological and possibly self-esteem problems. Same for somebody who is homophobic... Beef Liver is my mom's favorite food, I detest it... I don't think she'd call me a "hater," though.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
For what it's worth, I'm no fan of Napear at all and I never go out of my way to listen to Rome. My biggest beef with Napear is he's WAY too much into "his" NYC pro teams (at the expense of 49ers, Kings, A's, Giants, etc.) and extremely arrogant on radio - unlike his partner Mike Lamb who is more California laid back. I heard Napear say once, "I'm not a Kings fan and not a homer for them - just a sports broadcaster, period." But it's obvious if he were broadcasting games for the NY Yankees or NY Giants he wouldn't say the same thing.
Is it actually important to you that the hometown guy declares himself to be a homer for your team?

Yeah, detest actually does mean real hate... but real hate is not synonymous with being a "hater," nor is being a "hater" the act of exhibiting real hatred. You wouldn't say that someone who detested something or somebody was a "hater." Someone, for example, who is racist because they detest black people isn't a hater; he's just an ******* with psychological and possibly self-esteem problems. Same for somebody who is homophobic... Beef Liver is my mom's favorite food, I detest it... I don't think she'd call me a "hater," though.
I agree but people in this thread are associating the use of HATER as actual HATE but at the same time are using the word DETEST. You are making my own point for me. So when the term HATER is used it doesn't mean HATE.