[Grades] Grades v. Pelicans 3/27/2015

15 years from now when his career is done, where is Boogie going to rank all time among centers ?

• Outside Top 25

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Get this beast some help.

So Boogie became only the 3rd man (Shaq, Ewing) in the modern history of the NBA (past 30 years) to notch two 39-20 games in the same season. I would imagine he is the first to do so twice in the span of two weeks.

And we lost.

Again.

And again there just was no help. Just almost nobody. Rudy was doing a good job on Davis for a while on defense, kind of sucked it up inefficiently to give at least a little offensive help in the 3rd, and that was just about it. Our bench recollapsed to disastrous +/- numbers all around, and Boogie would have had to score 50 to pull this out.

Meanwhile a certain former #13 on the Kings kicked the living crud out of our too old, too young, and too scrubby guardline, notching 25pts 10 assist while all 4 of our guards COMBINED for 18pts 7ast. Come to think about it I still think said former #13 would be a heck of piece to help our beast. Alas he has a beast of his own to feed down in New Orleans.

The good news is that having figured a workaround to my technical issues, this time I did NOT lose my notes, and so the grades will go up on time and in full. See? In every black cloud there's a silver lining.

Boxscore

Stats: 37min 18pts (7-18, 1-5, 3-4) 4reb 2ast 1stl 1blk 3TO
Summary: effective on Davis on defense, but not adequate game as a second offensive weapon

Gay ( C+ ) -- ok, one of my problems with the concept of Anthony Davis and his efficiency as a big man has been that he simply lacks 1 on 1 physical post dominance. And if that seems esoteric, no its not. Its the big man's equivalent to a guard with unguardable quickness. And tonight what we saw was something I have pondered before -- what if the answer to guarding this long, quick, off the ball playing big man is a long athletic SF to match him? Now where would we find one of those? Of course merely finding one isn't enough, the one has to be wiling to get in there and go chest to chest with one of the league's best players. And for about 2/3 of the game, that unlikely solider was Rudy Gay. Unable to use quickness to run by him, barely able to go over him, and at this young age still not powerful or clever enough in the post to just abuse him, A.D. actually had a real hard time with Ruby in the first half, backed up by an attentive with something to prove Cuz. Now the difficulty was that consumed Rudy on that side of the ball, and we go crushed on the boards despite Cuz's monster night, and on the other end Davis's extreme length kept Rudy from almost any of his favorite reach over the top jumpers and post moves. A few little scattered broken plays and offensive boards along the baselines was about it before half, and most of what he did try was forced. In the third there was a concerted effort to get him going offensively, and he got a few hits, hit a three, but it quickly spiraled into just out of control tough shot chucking as Davis really got into him, and he never was able to provide any real extended and efficient 2nd option for Cuz. And then down the stretch Davis increasingly began to get free and do the things he can do, and a fairly close game turned into a blowout as Cuz could not score every single hoop for us. So.. here's a real oddity for Rudy, a good D, bad O grade. Not what you associate with Rudy, and with nobody else helping Cuz either, we couldn't afford that mix tonight.

Stats: 24min 10pts (4-8, 2-2, 0-0) 1reb 2ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Summary: as close to a 3rd weapon as we had, lost time because couldn't guard anybody

Casspi ( C ) -- got an easy little open flip to go in the early going, and was effectively our 2nd weapon in the first quarter because he dominatingly scored 4pts.. Unfortunately not much else was happening (and where has Omri the rebounder gone these last couple?) early, and when we tried to use him to give Ray some relief from Reke's muscle, things did not go much better. The rest of his points came in the third as he gave us a pair of threes, but the rim was largely closed to him by the Pelicans length, and misadventures on the other end piled up, guys slipping off for threes, Omri looking like he didn't even want to give it an honest go vs. A.D. etc. I was still surprised to see his minutes so limited given the utter nothing the bench gave us, but it was less because Omri was so special and more because everybody else was so bad.

Stats: 41min 39pts (16-28, 0-0, 7-12) 20reb 2ast 1stl 3blk 3TO
Summary: only legends put up statlines like this, and against a huge frontline too

Cousins ( A+ ) -- ok, so another moderately respectable outing by the big guy. And another moderately respectable outing that somehow did not result in a victory after he found himself all alone out there. These are the ones that bother, because Boogie wouldn't be human if he didn't walk away from this one saying "what more can I do?". 39pts 20rebs has been accomplished a total of 22 times in the last 30 years (a span of approximately 36,900 regular season games), and 2 of those 22 have been by Big Cuz himself in the last two weeks. And we've lost both. SMH. Anyway, Cuz got right to work in this one, and faced with a near twin towers frontline of shotblockers, that work largely consisted of just lighting up Omir Asik and friends from outside with 5 straight long jumpers on his way to a 13pt 6reb 2block first quarter. When he returned in the second he immediately splashed in another jumper, but from that point onward with his point made he was increasingly able to get around the Pelicans' bigs to the rim, and about the only thing slowing him down was an unusually shaky night from the line (which even included a flat airball in the third). The videogame numbers were up to 23 and 9 by halftime, which only made the events of the beginning of the 3rd more alarming as Cuz came out and iummediately lost his composure, picking up a quick 3rd foul, and then yet another technical foul, effectively putting him 1 more foul of either kind of being lost. But he settled, played it smart (barely with the ref barking), got out leading the break and avoided picking up an offensive foul and dished it to Ben for a three. And maybe the timing of Rudy's one little push was fortunate,because Cuz could rest on the scoring front (other than the FTs) for a spell and cool down. He wasn't done yet though, the numbers kept on climbing, although the 3rd may have been the weakest of the quarter,s and when he came back in the 4th it was right back with another big push including a near double double in the quarter alone as he was pretty much singlehandedly keeping us within...well the sort of range the Warriors could overcome. We however, well let's put it this way. DeMarcus Cousins = 39pts 20reb. Every single other Sacramento King except Rudy Gay? 31pts 13rebs. So a slight step back on the whole team contribution front. That's not on the big guy though. He put up a statline you are lucky to see once a year in the league, and he didn't for the 2nd time in two weeks.

Stats: 31min 7pts (2-9, 2-4, 1-2) 4reb 1ast 1stl 0blk 0TO
Summary: hit two threes, that was his entire game

McLemore ( D ) -- paging Ben! yoohoo? Was a game last night, might want to set the ole alarm. Got off to another poor start, airballing a three, and forcing trying to do way too much into the sea of long arms the Pels use to protect their basket. By halftime he was sitting on exactly 1pt, with his only solace that Eric Gordon was barely any better. In the early third was a little sputter of life when he led a break and made a good dish to Ray for a layup, and then a minute later took a kick from Cuz for a three. And then that was that, and as we struggled and died away Ben was nowhere to be found for over a quarter. He added his only other hit, a second three, with 4min to go, and I guess discovered this additional silver lining -- so poor was our team play tonight that scoring all of 7pts was enough to be our 4th lading scorer on the night.

Stats: 34min 2pts (1-4, 0-1, 0-0) 2reb 5ast 1stl 0blk 1TO
Summary: got butt kicked by Tyreke, highlight was winning a jumpball

McCallum ( F ) -- coming off of one of his better games, I felt like Ray had his mojo stolen by Tyreke right in the first minute of the game when Reke just squared him up and bully bounced him back to Baton Rouge for the easy power layin. It set a tone to say the least, and when Reke then blew right around him, and capped it by starting to hit jumpers..long night ahead. Ray never did figure out a thing to do against Reke defensively, but of course things might have been mitigated if he was generating offense on the other side. Absolutely no such luck however. In the early going he at least accumulated a handful of easy little assists basically consisting of give the ball to Cuz and get out of the way, but he was absolutely nowhere to be found offensively. Finally got a hoop on the break from Ben to start the 3rd, but that was the only thing he ever did offensively. Not able to get his own stuff to go against the Pelicans length, missed his only three on a kickout, and spent his entire long depressing night (Miller was almost unplayable so Ray got the bulk of it) watching Reke bowl through him or drain jumpers over him. In the end played 1 minute more than the Pels PG, but got outscored 25pts 10ast to 2pts 5ast. Ballgame.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Bench

Stats: 20min 0pts (0-0, 0-0, 0-0) 5reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Thompson ( C- ) -- probably the most "boring" of our benchers tonight, on a night when being "boring" was a compliment compared to the alternatives. Not only did he not score, he did not even attempt a shot. Karl belatedly turned to him after discovering midget ball isn't a great idea against a team with 3 near 7 footers in the rotation. Jason had no effect in the first half, but his second half stint was notable for the battle he had with Davis after one of the old assistants maybe nudged our latest coach and whispered to him about JT's good work on Davis in years past. And it started out well, as Jason just flat pulled the the chair on Davis near the end of the third for a turnover.. But while Jason continued with good defensive effort on Davis, Davis started hitting tough tough runners over him anyway. So kid of a return here to Jason's defensive frontcourt stopper lines of the early season -- limited statistical productivty, but designated star stopper. Except despite his efforts, he didn't stop him this time.

Stats: 16min 3pts (1-4, 1-1, 0-0) 0reb 1ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Williams ( D ) -- a sign of things to come that DWill came in and went for an alley oop to close the first quarter and his feet slipped right out from under him and he ended up with 0pts and 1 bruise. The only thing he did all night was have a 2-3minute sequence where he and Sauce provided literally our only scores of the early second period when first DWill set Suace up for the three, and then Sauce returned the favor. And when that was all done the rest of his minutes were absolutely 100% and completely empty. He tried to challenge the Pels interior monsters a few times, but absolutely no go, and he found himself entirely out of his weight class producing not only 0 more points, but also 0rebs, ast,...we've talked bout this before. He hit his three and was completely worthless after that point.

Stats: 19min 5pts (2-4, 1-1, 0-0) 1reb 1ast 1stl 0blk 1TO
Stauskas ( D ) -- much of what Nik did was described in DWill's writeup, as the two of them over about a 3 minute span set each other up for threes. And then...that was what they did. Meanwhile somebody just shoot me if we ever have to see Nik try to guard Tyreke again. Reke seems to take gleeful joy in pantsing the lottery picks we keep wasting trying to replace him.

Stats: 14min 4pts (2-4, 0-1, 0-0) 0reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 3TO
Miller ( F ) -- you know, he got an early racing layup in this one, and later in this one he drove in and got an amazing post move to go over A.D. But those two highlights aside what I do remember is him not being able to stay in front of anyone, and of Toney Douglas making him look old and washed up, smothering him, keeping him from leading any offensive push. our big assist guy had the 0/3 ast/TO ration tonight and the Pels PGs did whatever they wanted and combiend for 17. Not good.

Stats: 5min 0pts (0-0, 0-0, 0-0) 0reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Evans ( INC ) -- well, this is an incomplete, but the truth is that Reggie's minutes were minorly disastrous. We played him as a small 6'8" center against a New Orleans team that thinks anybody under 7'0" tall is a footstool, and Reggie, rugged rebounder that he normally is, got treated as one. First Ajunca and then Asik just treetopped him again and again until finally Karl was forced to conclude that maybe JT was a better idea against a crew this big.

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
so Cousins gets 39 and 20 and the team loses by 14 points...unreal. The guard play was non existent and there was just no team ball in this one, not enough ball movement. Tyreke was making a lot of jump shots and you live with him making those rather than taking it to the rim, he just happened to be on point with the J so you tip your cap and move on to the next one. Nik got his first poster dunk!

I just want Big Cuz to do one thing to become truly great, perhaps elevate eventually into elite group Top 5 NBA centers (Poll). STOP, STOP, STOP, complaining every damn time to refs that gets you absolutely nowhere, continues a sour puss reputation like some endlessly scorned whinny kid. Just go on to next play since you are generally so dominate that very next play will usually make up for any perceived slight at hands of getting by far most calls correct NBA officials. Ok, I vote top 5-10.

Bricklayer

I just want Big Cuz to do one thing to become truly great, perhaps elevate eventually into elite group Top 5 NBA centers (Poll). STOP, STOP, STOP, complaining every damn time to refs that gets you absolutely nowhere, continues a sour puss reputation like some endlessly scorned whinny kid. Just go on to next play since you are generally so dominate that very next play will usually make up for any perceived slight at hands of getting by far most calls correct NBA officials. Ok, I vote top 5-10.
I shot him a tweet "Be the honeybadger". :)

gunks

Hall of Famer
I'm with you Brick, I miss Tyreke. Call me crazy, but I think a back-court of he and DC would be killer. Reke has actually been hitting his 3s this year. And he'd be perfect in Karl's dribble drive offense.....The drive and kick is just what he does.

But then if we still had Reke, we wouldn't have Rudy....Sooooo...

Anyways, we just need some vet presence at the 2. It is just bad having to rely on the kids. Every offseason there are a few 12-15ppg guards to be had, we just need to go after one. Come to think of it...Sessions was that guy, and PDA signed him to a contract that we all loved (at the time), its too bad he just crashed and burned here.

As far as grades.... Cuz gets another A, everyone else falls somewhere between F-C. If we could just have had two other guys bring their B game tonight, we win.

This game is a prime example of why I don't want to see McLemore or Stauskas starting for us next year. They're just too inconsistent. They show flashes that one day they can be a solid, consistent player, but we don't have the luxury of waiting around for them to get there. We have Collison to take over the PG inconsistency when he comes back next year, but we really need to go after one of the SGs available with our cap space in the offseason (Middleton, Matthews, D. Green, Afflalo).

Cousins is an animal! I have difficulty believing that Rudy Gay should be our #2 option. I don't know why really, but I feel as if he is not that dependable in regards to "showing up" for a game. When he is on, he plays great, and then has really bad nights where it feels like he is just doing too much.. I feel like in games like these, your #2 should come to play. Evans came to play for the Pels, Gay should have stepped up his game too. Regardless, Rudy is the least of our problems just nitpicking after a loss.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I just want Big Cuz to do one thing to become truly great, perhaps elevate eventually into elite group Top 5 NBA centers (Poll). STOP, STOP, STOP, complaining every damn time to refs that gets you absolutely nowhere, continues a sour puss reputation like some endlessly scorned whinny kid. Just go on to next play since you are generally so dominate that very next play will usually make up for any perce.ived slight at hands of getting by far most calls correct NBA officials. Ok, I vote top 5-10.
This is what I vote for! Who in the history of the NBA has whined more than Cousins? I'll vote him in the top 5 now for that, no problem!

Get this beast some help.

So Boogie became only the 3rd man (Shaq, Ewing) in the modern history of the NBA (past 30 years) to notch two 39-20 games in the same season. I would imagine he is the first to do so twice in the span of two weeks.

And we lost.

Again.
Games like these are exactly why I firmly believe DeMarcus > Anthony Davis. Sure, Davis is a helluva talent and can do things at his size that most other can't. But he'll never be as dominant in the block as Cuz, he'll never be the rebounder that Cuz is and I don't think his offensive game translates to playoff basketball as well as #15's does. If and when our braintrust <insert joke here> surrounds him with the right pieces, everyone will see why the Davis-Cousins comparison is as silly as the Tyreke-Curry one turned out to be. Too bad Petrie's liking of Steph was trumped by the Magoof's love of Tyreke --- imagine if we had those two together?

Come to think about it I still think said former #13 would be a heck of piece to help our beast. Alas he has a beast of his own to feed down in New Orleans.
I disagree with you on this one. Despite Tyreke's penchant to play well against his former team, he's still the same player he was during his time in Sacramento (sans his rookie season). He can't shoot the ball consistently, misses too many shots around the rim and lacks an above average basketball IQ. Proof is in the pudding. He's shooting .436 from the field (29% 3-pt) for the 2nd consecutive season in New Orleans. That's pretty awful for a guy that gets to the rim as much as he does. He should be well over 45%, closer to 47-48% but his poor perimeter shooting and misses at the rim drag his % down.

I don't think his game fit well with Cuz at all. Granted, our backcourt has stunk so badly, he would have been an improvement - but long term Cuz needs consistent deep shooters around him. Forget letting Tyreke go via free agency, we should all be more upset that we passed on Steph Curry in that 2009 draft. Oh what could have been....

Cousins is an animal! I have difficulty believing that Rudy Gay should be our #2 option. I don't know why really, but I feel as if he is not that dependable in regards to "showing up" for a game. When he is on, he plays great, and then has really bad nights where it feels like he is just doing too much.. I feel like in games like these, your #2 should come to play. Evans came to play for the Pels, Gay should have stepped up his game too. Regardless, Rudy is the least of our problems just nitpicking after a loss.
To me, this is a little unfair. Gay was essentially guarded by a DPOY caliber type player. He didn't have any size, length, or strength advantage on him, and Davis is so quick laterally, I'm sure he didn't much of a speed advantage either. He still had 18 points on 18 shots. Not his greatest game, but not his worst either.

I think you're also not looking at the defense he played on Davis. I thought he did a good job on that side of the ball and made life tough for Davis.

As for Evans, it's an odd comparison. Again, Gay had a DPOY candidate guarding him for a majority of the night while Evans was matched up against a backup guard who surrendered 30 pounds, 4 inches height wise, and 8 inches length wise. Not to mention Evans is one of the best at getting into the lane regardless of who is guarding him, but it's going to be pretty hard containing a guy like Evans when your only option is a guy who's at a big physical disadvantage.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
This game is a prime example of why I don't want to see McLemore or Stauskas starting for us next year. They're just too inconsistent. They show flashes that one day they can be a solid, consistent player, but we don't have the luxury of waiting around for them to get there. We have Collison to take over the PG inconsistency when he comes back next year, but we really need to go after one of the SGs available with our cap space in the offseason (Middleton, Matthews, D. Green, Afflalo).
Sauce is a rookie only now getting decent time to develop. Ben is still learning the NBA game but has the best athleticism on the team and will come around only slower than with Sauce who will be in the league a long time. Same for RayMac, still learning the game and learning when to take more shots. Add DWill to that young "kiddy" group and Kings have nice nucleus for next year. Need this summer and fall is for shooters, scorers who can run and play bit of D, so they can run, shoot and score.

I think you're also not looking at the defense he played on Davis. I thought he did a good job on that side of the ball and made life tough for Davis.
He did a fantastic job on Unibrow until late in the game. I think Coach Karl found a pretty good defensive matchup for #23 going forward. Rudy's length and athleticism caused some issues. A couple of times on pick and rolls, the Pelicans tried to throw that alley oop - which often looks indefensible - but Rudy was able to extend and get a hand on it. He has the quickness and mobility to keep Davis in check and did so for the most part until the game was basically over.

Now, if Rudy can just play like that every night on that end of the court and if we could get some consistent help from at least one of our guards, we'd really have something.

I didn't watch the game. Did JT start vs. Davis? That's usually a win for us.
Gay started vs Davis and did a very good job, Davis actually got most of his scores on JT dribbling around him and using his length. Gay was able to match him quickness wise and he was forced to take contested jumpers. Gay defended Davis better than JT, at least today.

Stauskas should get a free pass for this season. But Ben really doesn't have much of an excuse. He's become our newest version of Tyreke Evans with regard to consistency. If Ben had Evans' aggressiveness on offense, he'd probably have similar scoring and shooting numbers, but be a better deep shooter. Ben's just far too passive and doesn't handle the rock well enough to take games over on occasions when he is shooting it well.

I still have some hope for Nik, though, as he's already a competent ball handler and he's such a good shooter that we should see a big improvement in that area as his confidence continues to rise. He's getting there. Just look at the dunk he had tonight. He couldn't have done that earlier in the season.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I disagree with you on this one. Despite Tyreke's penchant to play well against his former team, he's still the same player he was during his time in Sacramento (sans his rookie season). He can't shoot the ball consistently, misses too many shots around the rim and lacks an above average basketball IQ. Proof is in the pudding. He's shooting .436 from the field (29% 3-pt) for the 2nd consecutive season in New Orleans. That's pretty awful for a guy that gets to the rim as much as he does. He should be well over 45%, closer to 47-48% but his poor perimeter shooting and misses at the rim drag his % down.
Not at all. This season is the closest thing we've seen to his rookie season. Why? He's playing point and controlling the rock. Reke has always been a far better player with the ball in his hands, but in 2015 he's improved his decision making a great deal.

16.7ppg
7.5apg
5.3rpg
45% shooting

with a 19-14 record since he was moved to PG, and 18-19 prior, with former EC All Star Holiday running the squad.

How about you tell us how many PG's there are averaging those numbers on an above .500 team as the 2nd option. That'll give a little more perspective.

I'll help, it's easy to argue Reke is a top 10 PG right now.

Edit: As to your posts both here and the other thread, what you fail to discern is Reke off the ball at SF or as 6th man in comparison to Reke on the ball as the starting PG. Monty made the same mistake Keith Smart did, putting him in the corner up until Holiday got injured. Then Reke got the rock and funny enough, NO improved.

Last edited:
Stauskas should get a free pass for this season. But Ben really doesn't have much of an excuse. He's become our newest version of Tyreke Evans with regard to consistency. If Ben had Evans' aggressiveness on offense, he'd probably have similar scoring and shooting numbers, but be a better deep shooter. Ben's just far too passive and doesn't handle the rock well enough to take games over on occasions when he is shooting it well.

I still have some hope for Nik, though, as he's already a competent ball handler and he's such a good shooter that we should see a big improvement in that area as his confidence continues to rise. He's getting there. Just look at the dunk he had tonight. He couldn't have done that earlier in the season.
Ben actually had one good contested drive vs EGordon, that ended with a foul, but he's still not confident, when driving opportunities present themselves, and doesn't uses them. At the same time he often receives the ball with defense shifted towards paint, so drives make little sense. Nik is mostly Sauce offensively, but Castillo on the other end, though he has his moments, which, I guess, is enough for rookies.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Anyone else hear what Cousins was telling Davis at the free throw line?

"I don't get the superstar treatment. I gotta get mine. I don't get the superstar treatment."

Love it. lol
If Boogie got the superstar treatment his numbers would be stupid. 30/14 type averages easily.

He'd go to the line more, AND be playing more minutes due to reduced foul trouble. Entire opposing front courts would foul out in their pitiful attempts to slow him.

I voted Cousins as top 5-10 when it is all over, but if he can chill and build rapport with the refs, and add that half hook to his game, whoo lawrd... he can easily make the top 5.

Not at all. This season is the closest thing we've seen to his rookie season. Why? He's playing point and controlling the rock. Reke has always been a far better player with the ball in his hands, but in 2015 he's improved his decision making a great deal.

16.7ppg
7.5apg
5.3rpg
45% shooting
Check your numbers because they are wrong. He's shooting 43.6% with tonight's game not factored in. His numbers didn't rise 1.5% after this one game. As I said to you in the other thread, that's not a good shooting % considering that he's not primarily a deep shooter and that his game largely consists of shots in the paint and around the rim.

In the end, the Pelicans won't be making the playoffs even with the great Anthony Davis on the team. Seems Evans doesn't provide much more help to him than the Kings scrubs do for Cousins.

Again, as I pointed out in the other thread, as South as this season has gone with all the unnecessary drama that occurred after Cousins' illness, the Kings could very well end up with more wins than they ever achieved with Evans on the team. So the question begs, how valuable could he have really been? They won 28 games his last season with the team. If they accomplish or exceed that with this supporting cast and all this coaching drama, they will have done so without having to pay their lead guard 11M.

And it's not at all a stretch to believe that the Kings could be very close to New Orleans in the standings had Cuz and Collison been healthy all season. Point is, Evans switching teams didn't really tip the balance all that much, if at all.

Every time I watch Tyreke play, my heart bleeds. Imagine was sort of beast he would be if he was coached by Malone or Karl?! He would fit Karl's offense brilliantly. In fact like Cuz, he was running that offense in Memphis with coach Cal.

Yet another of many brain farts by this front office.

People talking about Reek as if the Pelicans are a contender and not a fringe lottery team.

He had a good game against us, he's still a mediocre player nowhere near a top ten guard at either position.

People talking about Reek as if the Pelicans are a contender and not a fringe lottery team.

He had a good game against us, he's still a mediocre player nowhere near a top ten guard at either position.
You might want to go and check number of games missed by top 5 players at the Pelicans this year and maybe you might realise that a lot of the time when Davis has been out, Tyreke has carried that team and they are well in the mix for that 8th spot in the West.

Tyreke has had a pretty good season and would be a great #3 on this team. A player who is a chance for a triple double most nights. Shot is much improved too. He would be our best guard by an absolute universe.

Check your numbers because they are wrong. He's shooting 43.6% with tonight's game not factored in. His numbers didn't rise 1.5% after this one game. As I said to you in the other thread, that's not a good shooting % considering that he's not primarily a deep shooter and that his game largely consists of shots in the paint and around the rim.

In the end, the Pelicans won't be making the playoffs even with the great Anthony Davis on the team. Seems Evans doesn't provide much more help to him than the Kings scrubs do for Cousins.

Again, as I pointed out in the other thread, as South as this season has gone with all the unnecessary drama that occurred after Cousins' illness, the Kings could very well end up with more wins than they ever achieved with Evans on the team. So the question begs, how valuable could he have really been? They won 28 games his last season with the team. If they accomplish or exceed that with this supporting cast and all this coaching drama, they will have done so without having to pay their lead guard 11M.

And it's not at all a stretch to believe that the Kings could be very close to New Orleans in the standings had Cuz and Collison been healthy all season. Point is, Evans switching teams didn't really tip the balance all that much, if at all.
I don't really feel bothered to respond to your post because you clearly haven't even been watching the Pelicans much. The Pels have been missing some combination of Davis/Gordon/Holiday/Anderson the entire season. Evans is actually their leader in games played if I'm not wrong. Also, you speak as if not making the playoffs is just one huge category, when in actual fact the Pels have won more games this season than we have since 2006 in a much stronger Western conference (compared to back then). Evans carried the team big time after the all-star break when Davis was out. Yes his FG% is not superb, but a lot of his attempts at the rim also lead to offensive putbacks.

"Evans doesn't provide much more help to him than the Kings scrubs do for Cousins". Hoo boy. Rinse your mouth.

"They won 28 games his last season with the team. If they accomplish or exceed that with this supporting cast and all this coaching drama, they will have done so without having to pay their lead guard 11M"
Oh wow, you mean we could possibly have won as many games as we did when now Cousins is an all-star? You don't say! Who knew that young players can actually improve! This is just some ridiculous reasoning at work here, arguing that we're just as well off because we MIGHT match our record from a few years ago when both Cuz and Tyreke were less developed. I've always been under the impression that the goal is to win as many games as you can.

Apologies for sounding very condescending but it's just darn clear to me that you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to Evans' impact on the Pelicans this season.

Bricklayer

There are a number of reasons why the Pelicans are a fringe playoff team, starting with being in the West (in the East they are a mid seed), injuries, etc.

Very few of them have to do with Tyreke Evans, who has been the second most important player on that team this year and who stepped forward after the Pels got hit by a wave of injuries as THE driving force behind their late season playoff push. His offensive impact on his team this year was Top 10 as recently as a few weeks ago. His game will never be "metric" friendly (well, aside from the Real Plus Minus/ On/Off stats), but it has always been very hard to stop, and the attention he draws and chemistry he has with A.D. have been major factors in Davis's emergence during the last year.