• Poor coaching/use of personnel

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • NBA 3.0

Votes: 43 58.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

You know when people try to defend the Malone firing there is just a great intangible sitting out there that causes me to instantly just start waving my hands stop, just stop. And its this: leadership. As this is not high school I absolutely hate the idea of pulling jock rank in an argument, and often mock the very ball bouncers we are here to watch. And yet...I do wonder sometimes. Perhaps its something that you may only really understand if you've been there. But a coach, and a basketball coach at that, is not a play drawer, and not a substitution pattern maker. Years ago I used to grade coaches along with players, but I stopped, because it was just insipid. That is NOT the key factor to being an effective coach.

The key to coaching basketball is trust, is charisma, is leadership. An effective head basketball coach is almost a father figure. Its an emotional attachment, not an analytic one. You play, you fight, for that man (or woman in women's sports). You go to war with and for him. He's got your back, you've got his, and you are in the foxhole together. That's when you know you have a good coach who has reached his players. They'll buy in and go further for him than they will for anybody else, no matter how precise the squgglies an alternative coach might draw on the whiteboard. The team truly becomes that coach's team. And at that point, woe be he or she who interferes in that relationship. You don't just kill somebody's father and replace him with a new figure and say, this guy's your father now, follow him. And that's the problem here. And pulling jock rank, I wonder if its one that guys who probably never experienced that like Vivek or PDA truly understand. This was Michael Malone's team. They tore the heart out of it, and just cluelessly assumed they could throw somebody else out there in Malone's place and it would all just work. Except that isn't the way it works. I'm not even sure if it would for Karl, at least not instantly. But maybe his celebrity might allow things to smooth over. But Ty Corbin? Has had no chance. He's not the father, and even if he were a charismatic leader it would take him months to become the new one.

And hence you have so many nights like these. The effort, focus, leadership isn't there. The whole aura is off and with the spell broken, we look and feel just exactly like a lottery team again.

Boxscore

Stats: 38min 25pts (9-21, 1-3, 6-6) 9reb 5ast 2stl 0blk 1TO
Gay ( B- ) -- Rudy might have been our best player on the floor tonight. Not that he was perfect by any means, but on a night where the ball was going everywhere but to its intended receiver, he had only one turnover. Not bad for playing 38 minutes, and handling the ball a lot. He also had 5 assists and 9 rebounds to go along with 25 points. However, he only shot 42% overall from the floor. Most of his shots were vintage Gay. Early in the first quarter he got the ball about 20 feet from the basket, put the ball on the floor for three dribbles, spun, sidestepped, and hit a fade away 16 footer. A little later in the half, he scored on a put back of a Cousins miss. He also had a couple of 18 foot step back 18 footers. One of his highlights was near the start of the second half when he stole the ball, and went almost the length of the court and slammed it home. His best dunk of the night came when he split a double team and drove the right baseline, missed a little 6 foot floater, got the ball back in a crowd, and violently slammed it through the basket. Defensively is where I found fault with him. In the first quarter he completely lost track of Johnson on the left wing who hit a 3 pointer. Just a bit later, he was late getting back to Johnson who scored again. Johnson also took him off the dribble, turned the corner and laid it up over the outstretched hand of Gay. But his worse mistake came in the 4th quarter with both Gay and Casspi on the floor, and the Kings trying to make a comeback. Gay totally lost Teletovic, and left him wide open at the top of the circle, who of course hit a three. To make matters worse, he repeated the mistake. Overall the entire team struggled defensively and turned the ball over. At least Gay only contributed to one of those. --Baja

Stats: 13min 4pts (2-4, 0-0, 0-0) 1reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 1TO
Thompson ( D ) -- you know, I'm not sure JT has really given us anything to grade ever since the stuff hit the fan. He knows the score, and just watching these rotations, I'd bet a big part of the meddling has happened at PF, where JT is playing 15min a night, and Landry has been knocked out of the normal rotation so we can play Derrick Williams as a "power" forward off the bench. In any case, that's what we got out of JT again. 15min of nothing. Had virtually all of hsi numbers in the first seconds of the game as he caught a Collison airball, put it up once in clumsy fashion, got it back, and laid it in. I think he hit one jumper late in the half. Sandwiched around the early hit though were two long KG jumpers, and while there's not much you can do when the old man is hitting those things, JT never bothered him during his entire short night. And so 4pts and 1reb as what is likely the twilight of the JT era here goes out with a whimper, not a bang.--Brick

Stats: 37min 24pts (9-12, 0-0, 6-9) 13reb 4ast 1stl 2blk 5TO
Cousins ( C ) -- "Now is the winter of our discontent..." Who knew Shakespeare had so much in common with Nostradamus and could look ahead to Boogie's 2014 frame of mind. The numbers in the statline above are all there of course. Note the low FGs though -- potentially another emergent problem as Vivek's "jazz" offense of course means chaos and your best player not touching the ball for long stretches so everybody else gets their own chance to solo. In fact in the early going it was Cuz himself making the decision not to force the issue on offense as he seemed to consciously be making an effort to pass it all around the court maybe in an attempt to wake up our sleeping cast of characters. But rather than waking anybody up, maybe either than Ben very early, it also had the curios effect of muting Cuz's own impact. He just wasn't that forceful early. There were several early defensive moments, several rim protects, took a charge. But his teammates were just awful defensively, and rather than Cuz dragging them all back into the mindset, as the geme went along it seemed he was getting pulled the other way himself in "why should I bust my ass if these losers won't" fashion. Which is...not good. There were several just impressively angry outbursts in the form of power drives dunking right through Nets bigs. But that's kind of what they were. Frustration moments of a great player. But that wasn't there consistently. In fact for all his frustration with teammates, Cuz himself again looked tired, and dangerously close to the slouchy behavior of years past. He kept on trying to make passes to set guys up, they not infrequently got picked off, and he got more and more frustrated. once he screamed at Nik for what I think was Cuz's own mistake, unless Nik wasn't coming to the ball, which is possible as Cuz yells at him at least once a game to just shoot the ball with confidence. Down the stretch Cuz stepped up with a late burst of gotta win this energy, capped by a monstrous dunk over Plumlee which I'm posting above. But it wasn't enough, and a few of those numbers above happened in the final seconds when we were through. That's fine though. At this point what salvation this season might offer may be in the form of a Cuz All Star bid, also giving him increased clout again. So however those numbers have to get put up works for me. To anybody not watching the game, this was another big night. To those watching however it was a frustrated and lax night where sometimes Cuz was as much part of the problem as the solution. And his comments after the game suggest something worse, that there may be no all for one and one for all spirit to allow the team to turn this thing around even after losing their coach. --Brick

Stats: 32min 11pts (4-9, 3-7, 0-0) 2reb 2ast 1stl 0blk 2TO
McLemore ( C- ) --in the early going of this one it looked like maybe we were going to get a big game out of Ben to help the rest of the team through the doldrums. Cuz in particular was working as a passing and screening post, and Ben hit a wide open angle three to start, a drive in the open court, and then another three from Cuz to finish the first quarter with 8 points. It would practically be the totality of his contributions. He added a solitary three as we came out firing in the third and quickly sliced 7 off the lead, but disappeared along with the rest of the team except to repeatedly look shaky with the ball and turn it over. Made a dumb mistake at the 45 sec mark fouling Jack before the ball was even inbounded, thus giving Jack a spare point and making the Nets lead 7. We were very likely dead anyway, but that made it a three possessions game and just sealed it. Be nice to see more effective help defense or boardwork again, without it this was just kind of an Anthony Morrow game. --Brick

Stats: 31min 16pts (5-7, 2-2, 4-5) 3reb 8ast 0stl 0blk 4TO
Collison ( C- ) -- Here is a partial list of NBA players that Darren Collison can't cover: Jarrett Jack, Deron Williams. I think we can really probably leave DC's defensive contribution for the game at that and move on. On the offensive end, Collison was much better. He got himself into bad foul trouble and only played 9 minutes in the first half, but when he was in he did a good job of both scoring (5-7 from the floor and 2-2 from deep) and distributing (8 assists, and at least 6 other shots set up. Still, he had too many turnovers - one of them really belonged to Ben on a fumbled pass, but two were unacceptable. He allowed Mason Plumlee to come up from behind and easily poke the ball away when he was dribbling at the top of the key for one, and he threw a nearly impossible outlet pass over Cousins' head for the other. It wasn't a great game but it wasn't a terrible game, and maybe I'm even grading him a bit harsh because the team was so bad. But it's hard to give out a solid grade in a game that looks like this one. --Capt.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Bench

Stats: 8min 0pts (0-2, 0-0, 0-0) 5reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 2TO
Evans ( D ) --a bit of a deceptive boxscore here as you see the same sorts of numbers you often do for Reggie, but he came back to Brooklyn and was actually quite bad. Offensively ineffective inside against all the Nets length (Reggie Evans vs. Brook Lopez off the bench = um, yay?), and despite the boarding totals, he looked short in there on the glass. He returned for the final 2 minutes of the half and grabbed a huge offensive rebound, but he got swarmed and turned it over. Turned it over again two possessions later, and was just generally a mess perhaps encapsulating the team's current state of mind and notching an impressive -10 +/- in only 8 min. As a capper got involved on a play that got picked up around social media for its 4 on 5 implications, as Cuz tried to sub in for him, wasn't allowed to, Reggie went all the way to the bench, and then was told to get back on the court while his teammates, you got it, played 4 on 5 on defense. He ran back oncourt completely on the far side of the court in perfect cherry picking position, time slowed down on a beach in Maui as Vivek leapt to his feet in slo mo nearly spilling his daiquiri in excitement and yelling yes! yes! yes!...and then the Nets raced back and challenged it just enough that Reggie blew the layup. Which is why you typically have 7'4" Indian guys execute that play instead. Biggest contribution might have been a reported pump you up speech delivered to the energyless team just before the 3rd quarter started. Seemed to work as we surged...for about 3 minutes. But on this night we decided his future was in speechwriting, not playing, and never returned to the court after half. Not even in sneaky cherrypicking fashion. --Brick

Stats: 17min 0pts (0-5, 0-3, 0-0) 4reb 1ast 0stl 0blk 3TO
McCallum ( F ) -- Ray came in to spell Collison and played the lion's share of the minutes in the first half due to Darren's foul trouble, but he didn't really make things any better out there. He couldn't make a shot (including 0-3 shooting open corner threes, which you HAVE to hit), he wasn't doing a good job of running the offense or setting up his teammates for open shots, and he turned the ball over way too much - there was not only the momentum-killing turnovers on the final possession of both the second AND third quarters, but he also made at least two bad passes that ended up not being turnovers by sheer luck and on one play he foolishly gave off the ball to Reggie in the lane, which...you guessed it!...resulted in a TO. When turnovers are one of our major team issues, we can't have our backup point guard be terribly sloppy with the ball. I suppose he played marginally better defense than Collison, and his defensive numbers are mitigated a bit by the fact that he got switched onto and posted up by both Teletovic and Bogdanovic, but Jack was getting basically whatever he wanted from Ray just like he did from Collison. Ray played poorly enough that Collison played the entire fourth, most of it with 5 fouls. Ray had a team-low -13 on the +/-. I think an F is the right call here. --Capt.

Stats: 8min 2pts (1-3, 0-1, 0-0) 0reb 0ast 1stl 0blk 1TO
Williams ( D- ) --there was never much hope for this one. Every few game we run enough for Derrick to feel comfortable, he puts up some pretty numbers, then goes away again. continues to now be our first guy off the bench, because NBA 3.0 you know? (Question: did Derrick bleeping Williams play a role in getting Michael Malone fired? Not by choice obviously.) Anyway, he came into this one as a mid-sized sportscar in the Nets world of big fullsized frontcourt SUV, and he has never his whole career showed any stomach for that sort of battle. His one good play came early when he collected a intentional tap back from Cuz and went down the lane for a fingerroll. But that was it. He followed it with a poor wild drive on the break that was basically a turnover. Stepped out of bounds on the catch on an inbounds play. Never did grab a single rebound, because you know, good way to break a nail. I guess he can say this: our first three players off the bench tonight combined in 34min of action to shoot 1-10 from the field for 2 points. Well, DWill was the proud owner of that one field goal. Woot. Surprisingly not enough for Corbin to go back to him after half. Perhaps even more surprising PDA wasn't calling him up and demanding it. --Brick

Stats: 20min 3pt (1-5, 1-2, 0-0) 5reb 1ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Casspi ( D- ) -- Casspi played 20 minutes and only scored 3 points on 1 of 5 shooting. He did manage to grab 5 rebounds. But on the whole he didn't contribute much, and might have earned and F, but for the fact that he didn't turn the ball over one time. On a night we were playing give away, that alone brought his grade up. Omri passed up a few shots trying to get his teammates involved, but ended up with only one assist. Defensively he wasn't much better than the rest of the team, and like Gay, he managed to leave Johnson alone on the perimeter. Credit to the Nets, they moved the ball well in the game and it often led to an open shot. Something maybe the Kings should take note of. Just a guess on my part, but I bet open shooters shoot for a higher percentage than contested shooters do.--Baja

Stats: 17min 8pts (3-5, 2-2, 0-0) 0reb 1ast 0stl 0blk 1TO
Stauskas ( C+ ) -- I don't know if Nik was our best bencher on the night -- he pretty much hit 1 three each half and added a squirted in layup on the break -- but on a night when we got nothing from the bench crew, he would at least have an argument. Hit an open three to start in the 2nd quarter, but had a careless miscommunication turnvoer with Omri and various defensive adventures. In his 2nd stint he again hit a three int eh early 4th we needed, and after getting yelled at by Cuz for not coming to ball on a pass, for no wanting it basically, he got his quick scoot on the break to cut the lead back to 8 as kinda/sorta hung around. That was it though. He did hit a few shots, and it has been a pretty miserable season, so going to give him a "+" here. Was Havlicek compared to many of our sleeping bencheteers.--Brick

Stats: 12min 6pts (3-3, 0-0, 0-0) 1reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Landry ( C- ) -- in for the first time near the end of the half, I think to save Cuz's third foul. Not able to show on screens and recover to stop Plumlee from getting a dunk. Back in the mid 3rd to give Cuz a breather, and ended up hanging around after the big guy came back because at least he was giving us just a little something. A very little mind you, but with so many dead eyes out there, at least Carl got a few little hits in the late 3rd/early 4th. No boardwork of course. A new theory I may flesh out further surrounds Derrick Williams' role in this whole mess. Remember when Carl had a pretty effective first month? And then suddenly as the 2nd month started he seemed out of sorts, got short minuted several times, and that was also just about when DWill was rediscovered? Now the coach gets canned and one of the major changes is that Carl Landry, also btw Malone ally, is suddenly out of the main rotation while our backup PF is now a smallballing DWill? Uh huh. Put that together with about the date when PDA/Mullin planned their little backstab in Vegas and you have the real possibility Malone got orders from the idiots in charge to play DWill, Landry didn't think that was fair given he was doing his job, his play and minutes suffer, Malone is fired anyway for not eliminating them altogether. And now Corbin is currently bent over suffering Richard Gere's gerbil treatment. --Brick

Stats: 7min 0pts (0-0, 0-0, 0-0) 1reb 0ast 0stl 1blk 1TO
Hollins ( INC ) -- in for the first time in the third as JT got his 4th and we needed another tall guy. Initially some good defensive activity on KG but no boardwork at all. Just kept on fouling Plumlee as he never appeared to figure out Plumlee's baby Brow game, and insisted on rotating off him, and then recovering late just in time for the hack. Look at the boxscore you can see why I decided just to dodge this one with an incomplete. If I gave a grade, just for at least having a little spunk maybe he could be a C and better than all but one of our other benchers because of it. --Brick

Last edited:

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I'm not going to be able to enjoy this new style PDA and Vivek expect me to enjoy, if I break my ****ing tv first.

This is just atrocious. We're a mess out there on both ends. Guys don't know who or what they're playing for or when the next coach will roll in. Why even give max effort and strive for success if Corbin or his future replacement might be fired out of the blue for nothing?

They should put what's happened here the last few weeks in a history book and use it in college business courses as an example of how not to do business. Show the class that any idiot, poor or wealthy can **** up a good thing if he doesn't recognize what he has, doesn't understand the sector in which he's doing business and misreads his target audience.

The biggest thing that killed us tonight was lack of chemistry.

It's a term that needs to be taken more seriously than it does right now. This Sacramento team, 2014-2015, will forever be in the textbooks as a case study in "How to Build a Successful NBA Franchise 101".

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
No energy, which I fear unfortunately has more to do with mental fatigue than anything else. Not good. Hopefully they respond in the next game.

gunks

Hall of Famer
This team lost its spirt, thanks PDA. Moron.
But..But.....Variables! Formulas! Metrics! Advanced statistics!!!

Oh jcwkings, I feel sorry for you.... You can't see 7 moves ahead like the great, under appreciated, PDA.

Move 1: Fire that booooorrrrrrriiiiing coach. Defense? Rebounding? FTs? Nobody wants to see that traaaaash!

Move 2: Tank the season! Draft pick! What "position-less" prospect should we go after? A combo guard? A tweener foward?! Only time will tell!!

Move 3: Install Mullin as coach! Because...Flash! Points! 4 on 5 offense! Vivek thinks outside the box, and so does his trusted gerbil. Those cherries wont pick themselves!

Moves 4-6: All minor tinkering moves with the roster, which is already LOADED with awesome, untapped, 3.0 potential! Maybe we trade Cousins for a stretch 4 who can run the floor.

Move 7: Championship!!!

Hopefully my breaking it down brightens the spirits of you Debbie Downers.

That can't be legal, but I think we've found out the secret if it were on purpose. That was one of the greatest misdirection plays I've ever seen. Fake a substitution, head to the bench, and then run back under the rim. I can't wait to see them put in a play where someone hides in the stands in street clothes and then pops out onto the court surprising them all!

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
That can't be legal, but I think we've found out the secret if it were on purpose. That was one of the greatest misdirection plays I've ever seen. Fake a substitution, head to the bench, and then run back under the rim. I can't wait to see them put in a play where someone hides in the stands in street clothes and then pops out onto the court surprising them all!
Vivek is probably thinking his next step will be cloaking technology. You'll think there's four players out there, then suddenly bam, the fifth will appear under the opponents basket unguarded.

Cutting edge.

But..But.....Variables! Formulas! Metrics! Advanced statistics!!!

Oh jcwkings, I feel sorry for you.... You can't see 7 moves ahead like the great, under appreciated, PDA.

Move 1: Fire that booooorrrrrrriiiiing coach. Defense? Rebounding? FTs? Nobody wants to see that traaaaash!

Move 2: Tank the season! Draft pick! What "position-less" prospect should we go after? A combo guard? A tweener foward?! Only time will tell!!

Move 3: Install Mullin as coach! Because...Flash! Points! 4 on 5 offense! Vivek thinks outside the box, and so does his trusted gerbil. Those cherries wont pick themselves!

Moves 4-6: All minor tinkering moves with the roster, which is already LOADED with awesome, untapped, 3.0 potential! Maybe we trade Cousins for a stretch 4 who can run the floor.

Move 7: Championship!!!

Hopefully my breaking it down brightens the spirits of you Debbie Downers.
"SOUNDS LIKE PLAN FROM GENIUS!"

K

KingMilz

I'm just so over Rudy Gay....he's the SF version of Isaiah Thomas, whenever he dribbles or drives there's guys wide open under the rim and instead of passing he chucks it. Than on defense the guy just has no idea, how can a guy 6'8 with a 7'3 wingspan and good athletic ability be such a sub par defender? I mean he twice for reasons only known to him instead of playing up in Teletovic sagged back so Mirza could drill 2 3's and win them the game, he also got lit up by Joe Johnson.

Gay is hurting Mclemore's development who we managed to completely freeze out again after he was like 3/3 from the field.

#Collison for the first or 2nd time this year played shocking D which was surprising, when we actually gave him the ball (when Rudy was not hogging it) he was creating havoc in the lane and dropping off passes for dimes to Landry. Until we allow Collison to dribble drive more often we are going no where.
#Nik hit a couple big shots but he still looks afraid out there and still overall did a number of things to hurt us
#Ray...I love Ray but he's a D-League PG at this stage, unless he starts hitting 3's @40% he just does nothing else well enough to be a back up PG in the NBA
#Landry was effective for the small amount he played
#JT/Reggie got outplayed by whoever they were against
#Cousins was effective, didn't get the ball enough and for a guy who complained about the team not playing D some of his efforts on box out's and stupid reach in's which resulted in "and one's" was not really setting a good example at all.

This has nothing to do with coaching or NBA 3.0 this was just a complete lack of effort by our players. On offense we at some stage have to allow Darren Collison and Mclemore to take over the game instead of both being drowned to death via Rudy Gay chucks.

At least we now 100% now team is rubbish with and without Cuz.

3.0, 4 on 5, analytics, math trumps science, chief irritant, compelling, position-less, jazz band, .. what else am i missing guys. i've heard the same garbage since the new regime has come on board still no improvements. DEFENSE is the only thing that came from malone's mouth and there were improvements.

Shots are going up way too fast which is leading to selfish play which is frustrating everyone. It all comes with the fast paced read and react data points offense. Our team is young and needed structure and was showing results under that structured offense. This is just Smart/Westphal read and react from the DVDs lazy offense, we remember how frustrated Cuz used to be in those days? well the last two games he looks alot like that again.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Kings stood no chance...I mentioned in the game thread that whenever the Kings were closing in on the Nets lead they would go back up by 10 or more and we saw first hand how consistent that is. Again, I don't want to be rooting for losses and everybody and their siblings are sick of it but what else can we as fans do besides flood Vivek's twitter page and show up at the games with Karl apparel or chants. I tell you one thing Malone couldn't fix that's still a routine...those dreaded turnovers. Yuck.

I still don't understand why we couldn't have just done this before the season. If we fire him before the season, then at least it gives a new coach a direction to head in with a training camp. If Malone was here and the locker room was starting to break apart with comments with Cousins has had the last two days, then sure, maybe look to get rid of him. But.... ugh.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The key to coaching basketball is trust, is charisma, is leadership. An effective head basketball coach is almost a father figure. Its an emotional attachment, not an analytic one. You play, you fight, for that man (or woman in women's sports). You go to war with and for him. He's got your back, you've got his, and you are in the foxhole together. That's when you know you have a good coach who has reached his players. They'll buy in and go further for him than they will for anybody else, no matter how precise the squgglies an alternative coach might draw on the whiteboard. The team truly becomes that coach's team. And at that point, woe be he or she who interferes in that relationship. You don't just kill somebody's father and replace him with a new figure and say, this guy's your father now, follow him. And that's the problem here. And puling jock rank, I wonder if its one that guys who probably never experienced that like Vivek or PDA truly understand. This was Michael Malone's team. They tore the heart out of it, and just cluelessly assumed they could throw somebody else out there in Malone's place and it would all just work. Except that isn't the way it works. I'm not even sure if it would for Karl, at least not instantly. But maybe his celebrity might allow things to smooth over. By Ty Corbin? Has had no chance. He's not the father, and even if he were a charismatic leader it would take him months to become the new one.
Best explanation ever.

Wish I had an apt adjective to use to describe what I see out there. I just don't. There's really no sense getting mad about it anymore - and to use a tired cliche/phrase - it is what it is.

What I will say is that the pressure is building and the Castle is quiet while the Kingdom gets more and more angry/frustrated/tired, or worse yet ambivalent.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm not going to be able to enjoy this new style PDA and Vivek expect me to enjoy, if I break my ****ing tv first.

This is just atrocious. We're a mess out there on both ends. Guys don't know who or what they're playing for or when the next coach will roll in. Why even give max effort and strive for success if Corbin or his future replacement might be fired out of the blue for nothing?

They should put what's happened here the last few weeks in a history book and use it in college business courses as an example of how not to do business. Show the class that any idiot, poor or wealthy can **** up a good thing if he doesn't recognize what he has, doesn't understand the sector in which he's doing business and misreads his target audience.
You can tell we're in dire straits when I'm in agreement with rainmaker.