George Hill

I’m personally very disappointed with his play. He was the vet signing I really looked forward to because he had a been a difference maker over the last stretch, and was known for his character. I thought he was going to immediately step in and average 15+ as a solid option, as paid and expected.

The guy has been totally unproductive offensively, and has generated no action on the offensive end and has been a part of the culprit for the first units struggles. The reason I am concerned personally about him “cashing it in” is because I see no spark or energy coming from him. It’s one thing if a player is playing with energy and just missing shots.. His presence on the court lacks..

Because he’s the highest paid King, and the first unit is begging for offensive output, I think he’s sorely underperforming.. Reasons for it? I just know that the situation seems untenable with two quality PG prospects on the bench and him negating his value every underperforming night..

I will just say something has definitely felt amiss, but just from personal experience, I am not ready to call anything on the George Hill signing. Hill is well noted to be one of G. Pop's favorite players in the league, and that carries a lot of weight.

On the flip side, it has been ugly, kindly speaking.

It is hard to deny that our team has looked infinitely better when fox comes in on the 2nd unit and spells G.Hill. The whole team takes on a dynamic of speed and tenacious defense. A welcome site and what I had hoped we would be building for.

That said, only time will tell with G.Hill.

Since George is a veteran in good standing, I intend to wait a little longer to see whats happening with him.

Despite our disappointment with Hill to this point I believe he is satisfying at least 75% of what was expected of him at his signing. So in that sense he has been useful and necessary to this team as it moves ahead in this early part of the season. Keep playing him and hope that his game gets better as the team around him gets better.

Hill is doing fine. I almost prefer him being mediocre because it will be more natural for Fox to take over the starting spot. I don't give a hoot about his salary. Also, he'll find his place soon enough. I won't mind if it's coming off the bench. Once we stabilize and get good in 1-2 years, if he's still here, his vet leadership will be invaluable. What I love about Hill is that I have zero worry that he'll be a problem if he goes through a slump like this.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Joerger made some comments about Hill be a "systems guy" when he tried to explain Hill's lack of effectiveness. I'm not exactly sure what that really means though.

I was surprised Hill wanted to sign here in the first place. He went from being a major contributor on playoff teams, to a pure mentor. Time will tell what's really going on, but part of me wonders if he needs to be in a more competitive environment to really bring out the fire in him. I have some doubts about that being possible on this team, but we shall see

The guy is at the end of his prime and should really be on a competitors roster. Wouldn't be surprised to see him traded.

I mean.. it must be hard to swallow to sit most of the Q4 when you've been used to being in-game in the last few seasons.

Trade him to the Spurs for Parker!

I was surprised Hill wanted to sign here in the first place. He went from being a major contributor on playoff teams, to a pure mentor. Time will tell what's really going on, but part of me wonders if he needs to be in a more competitive environment to really bring out the fire in him. I have some doubts about that being possible on this team, but we shall see
George Hill idiotically passed up a 4 year $88million mid-season extension with the Jazz thinking that he was good enough to be a max player. He broke out as a 20ppg scorer, but ultimately fell back to earth as a 3&D PG. By the end of the season, Utah had absolutely no interest in Hill. He was 31 and obviously not as good as they thought he initially was.

Kings offered him the most money, and that's why he's here. Anyone who thinks differently is delusional. By the time we signed Hill, there was no teams who had the cap space, let alone the desire to sign George Hill to a big contract.

If Hill keeps playing the way he is, Vlade might need to trade another future 1st to dump that contract. He's traded away more for less cap space...

I don't want to hear crapty excuses for George Hill. He's a 31 yearold 10-year NBA vet. We paid him $19,000,000 to be a good NBA player. We did not pay him $19,000,000 to be a veteran to Fox. He seriously needs to get his game together.

Kings are currently on the books for $84.9million next season. Add in a high lotto pick, and we're looking at $91million. Cap is projected to be at $101million. We'd only have about $10million in cap space.

That's not a lot if we're looking to pay RFAs outright. LaVine, Parker, Exum, Randle, Nurkic, or Capela.

Last edited:
Has a Marco Belinelli feel to it but it is hard for a PG to come in here with a young, inexperienced roster and make a difference from the offset.

He needs continuity with a consistent back court partner and rotation and i am sure coach is going to give it to him

Has a Marco Belinelli feel to it but it is hard for a PG to come in here with a young, inexperienced roster and make a difference from the offset.

He needs continuity with a consistent back court partner and rotation and i am sure coach is going to give it to him
You could make the argument he's not really a PG. He plays like a 3 & D wing at the PG position. Handling the ball, driving to the basket and making plays are not in his skillset.

If our ten year vet and starting PG needs to have pressure taken off him by some other, probably younger player in order to play even remotely well then that's hilarious if it weren't so sad.

You could make the argument he's not really a PG. He plays like a 3 & D wing at the PG position. Handling the ball, driving to the basket and making plays are not in his skillset.

If our ten year vet and starting PG needs to have pressure taken off him by some other, probably younger player in order to play even remotely well then that's hilarious if it weren't so sad.
overpaid for his production to date and you could question his signing and fit in the first place given our roster composition. i am willing to give it more time.

Z-bo for all his failings off the court has taken to it much better

bajaden

Hall of Famer
George Hill idiotically passed up a 4 year $88million mid-season extension with the Jazz thinking that he was good enough to be a max player. He broke out as a 20ppg scorer, but ultimately fell back to earth as a 3&D PG. By the end of the season, Utah had absolutely no interest in Hill. He was 31 and obviously not as good as they thought he initially was.

Kings offered him the most money, and that's why he's here. Anyone who thinks differently is delusional. By the time we signed Hill, there was no teams who had the cap space, let alone the desire to sign George Hill to a big contract.

If Hill keeps playing the way he is, Vlade might need to trade another future 1st to dump that contract. He's traded away more for less cap space...
Really! Me thinks you might be exaggerating just a tad.

Man you are brutal on George Hill. Did you have a bad day:)?

Really! Me thinks you might be exaggerating just a tad.
About the Utah debacle? The guy took the money and ran when there were no better offers. Here's what Hill said when they were discussing a contract extension with Utah:
I’m not the type of guy that likes to move around and go from team to team, I really like it here. My family likes it here. I’ve got some friends here. The city’s been great for me so far, and it’s a nice place to raise a family, so hopefully I get an opportunity to re-sign here if they would love me to be here.
Utah was offering Hill a 3 year contract extension worth $75million AND they were willing to give him an additional $13.6million for that current year. The 3year extension would've come down to around $24.9million/year. He held out in order to bet on himself........and lost. Utah didn't even bother in FA.
3 year $88.6million
3 year $57million with only $40million guaranteed
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/02/28/report-jazz-not-signing-george-hill-to-contract-extension/

It's not a surprise that the only teams he was interested in were the Kings, Lakers, Nuggets, Knicks, and Spurs. All 5 teams had one thing in common...MAX cap space.

Yeah I might be overreacting, but it's unacceptable to pay a guy $20million this year to play bad basketball. Look at his games this year. With the exception of 3 games, he's been horrific.
  1. 16pts 3asts 3rebs
  2. 21pts 2asts 5rebs
  3. 4pts 1asts 3tos
  4. 2pts 4asts 3rebs
  5. 6pts 5asts 3ebs
  6. 8pts 2asts 6rebs
  7. 10rebs 2asts
  8. 1pt 3asts 5rebs
34yearold Jarrett Jack on a 1 year non-guaranteed deal can put up these numbers too.

Man you are brutal on George Hill. Did you have a bad day:)?
Yeah because I just realized how horrible Hill's contract was. I'm tired of the Kings FO making idiotically decisions. I can't for the life of me understand how 40yearold Vince Carter got paid $8million. NOR do I understand why 36yearold ZBo at $11million makes sense for a rebuilding team.

Look, I fully expect Hill to bounce back. It doesn't mean I can't be disappointed we paid the dude $20million to get outplayed by a rookie.

Last edited:
About the Utah debacle? The guy took the money and ran when there were no better offers. Here's what Hill said when they were discussing a contract extension with Utah:
Utah was offering Hill a 3 year contract extension worth $75million AND they were willing to give him an additional $13.6million for that current year. The 3year extension would've come down to around $24.9million/year. He held out in order to bet on himself........and lost. Utah didn't even bother negotiating.
3 year $88.6million
3 year $57million with only $40million guaranteed
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/02/28/report-jazz-not-signing-george-hill-to-contract-extension/

It's not a surprise that the only teams he was interested in were the Kings, Lakers, Nuggets, Knicks, and Spurs. All 5 teams had one thing in common...MAX cap space.

Yeah I might be overreacting, but it's unacceptable to pay a guy $20million this year to play bad basketball. Look at his games this year. With the exception of 3 games, he's been horrific.
  1. 16pts 3asts 3rebs
  2. 21pts 2asts 5rebs
  3. 4pts 1asts 3tos
  4. 2pts 4asts 3rebs
  5. 6pts 5asts 3ebs
  6. 8pts 2asts 6rebs
  7. 10rebs 2asts
  8. 1pt 3asts 5rebs
34yearold Jarrett Jack on a 1 year non-guaranteed deal can put up these numbers too.

Yeah because I just realized how horrible Hill's contract was. I'm tired of the Kings FO making idiotically decisions. I can't for the life of me understand how 40yearold Vince Carter got paid $8million. NOR do I understand why 36yearold ZBo at $11million makes sense for a rebuilding team.

Look, I fully expect Hill to bounce back. It doesn't mean I can't be disappointed we paid the dude $20million to get outplayed by a rookie.
I agree with you. Not sure why some people are giving hill a pass by saying you can't judge him so early in the season. He was paid a ton of money to come here, be our best player, and mentor fox. So far he has done none of that. Anyone who has watched him play before can tell he's barely trying out there. At this point he's basically just taking money from the team.

I agree with you. Not sure why some people are giving hill a pass by saying you can't judge him so early in the season. He was paid a ton of money to come here, be our best player, and mentor fox. So far he has done none of that. Anyone who has watched him play before can tell he's barely trying out there. At this point he's basically just taking money from the team.
nobody knows what mentoring he is, or is not doing.

Has anyone ever stopped to consider that maybe Hill's poor play maybe due to an undisclosed injury he is playing through?

Just a guess, but he doesn't seem to be the same player he was during the first few games of the season.

Has anyone ever stopped to consider that maybe Hill's poor play maybe due to an undisclosed injury he is playing through?

Just a guess, but he doesn't seem to be the same player he was during the first few games of the season.

At first I thought it was just complacency, but their is definitely something else going on. Looks like he's lost all confidence in his offensive game. He's not doing anything BAD on the floor, he just isn't bringing any offense. Even 10ppg would be a huge boon to our team.

At first I thought it was just complacency, but their is definitely something else going on. Looks like he's lost all confidence in his offensive game. He's not doing anything BAD on the floor, he just isn't bringing any offense. Even 10ppg would be a huge boon to our team.
That’s true, it may be complacency but now there is something mental as well as his shots are way off and he looks sheepish.. Maybe it’s mental or maybe complacency has given into mental issues.. Like starting complacent, drawing the fans ire, and knowing the fans are on you which may cause the mental?