• Total voters

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Kingsfans.com Official Game Thread
Game 21
Sacramento Kings versus Utah Jazz
By Stephen Tetsu, Kingsfans.com Offensive Coordinator

An encapsulation of the last two weeks.
Well that wasn't fun. Another night without Demarcus, another night in which the entire team struggles at some time with some aspect of their game. Really, as it is, watching Kings basketball is like having ten root canals at once without any novocaine. I mean, most of these losses are coming against good teams but your wife sleeping with a supermodel doesn't make her cheating on you any less painful.

Against the upstart Orlando Magic, Jason Thompson had a good game, Darren and Rudy had an okay game, Ben apparently forgot there was a game, Ryan Hollins was Ryan Hollins, Ramon Sessions randomly decided to stop being a total waste of space and wound up playing crunch time, Nik almost killed someone with an errant shot again, and someone apparently convinced Derrick Williams that the Orlando Magic game was on national television.

But while the guys were generally having a tough go of it, the Magic were playing like the young, fresh-legged squad that they are. And in the "Vivek was wrong" ledger, Elfrid Payton still continues to be bad at shooting the ball (which is to say, he's only slightly worse than Nik Stauskas in this aspect at this point) but very good at being an active force on the court, breaking down defenses, fighting for rebounds, and at least trying to play defense in his time on the court. We're only twenty games into the season but thus far, Payton has turned out to be the better player than the guy we picked ahead of him. It's a good thing that both guys still have a solid decade plus in their prospective NBA careers still then.

So, in conclusion, get well soon Boogie. We need you. I, in particular, need you and fast before I have a coronary watching the Kings flounder in the fourth quarter.

Tonight's Game

Oh look, it's the Jazz!

I had a whole "Win one for Tyrone" thing written up and ready but apparently he tore his Achilles and might not even be at the game tonight so that went out the window.

Oh look, it's the Jazz! Now featuring a coach who always appears to have just run through a torrential downpour to reach the arena in time for the game. Seriously, I have never seen a basketball coach look as literally slick as Quin Snyder. Seriously man, did you just get out of the sauna before tip-off? Do you have some sort of sweating condition no one knows about?

Oh look, it's the Jazz! A young team that might now be as far down the road as the Kings or Magic. Derrick Favors at the 4 spot. Enis Kanter at the potential unibrow spot. Rudy Gobert at the streaking young tall guy spot. Gordon Hayward doing a lot of stuff. Burke and Burks being Burk-a-licious.

Oh look, it's the Jazz! 5-15 overall record. Let's hope the Kings can add to Utah's loss column.

under construction

Without Cousins, I feel like we can lose to anyone. Even so, if we get anything at all out of McLemore, we should still win.
Interesting comment. I feel like we can lose to anyone with Cuz. Would be a lot better with him. But this isn't about Cuz, it's about the Kimgs playing Utah tonight. What can we do to win this game? We CAN beat them. Let's do it.

Last edited:
Rudy is going to have to play like a star every game during this stretch while we wait for Cousins to come back. And by star, I mean draw the attention of the D and get others involved with easy buckets and open shots. Collision also needs to set other guys up and the team as a whole got to keep the ball moving. We are once again going back to be the lowest assist team in the league.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
This is one of those winnable ones just like the Indiana game but who knows what players want to show up tonight for this one. Favors and Kanter should probably feast on the boards and Rudy needs to guard Hayward. Trey Burke is the x factor here...he hasn't done much this season but he is more than capable considering he's going against the Kings who cannot guard dribble penetration.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Sorry but your comment went way over my head. Someone already mentioned that it's going to hard to win a game without Cuz. Let's go out there tonight and win a game ........ without Cuz.
It was a reference to an episode of Around the Horn from a while back: they were discussing Tiger Woods and Adande said that in order to win tournaments, you have to win tournaments. Which is a nothing statement. He was then, deservedly, roundly mocked by everyone else on the show... because it was a nothing statement.

That was how I read your post: what can we do to win? We can beat them. What is that even supposed to mean?

Without Cousins, I feel like we can lose to anyone. Even so, if we get anything at all out of McLemore, we should still win.
This was going on during the last King's game where Ben didn't show up at all (yet still deserved 4th quarter mins according to some of you). He's a young guy. Not sure he's quite professional enough to not let off the court stuff overshadow a game. And I disagree a tad with his post. He may multi-task, but not that well. :)

From Dec. 6th: While Ben was on the court warming up tonight, he was also feeding 150 homeless people in Lawrence, Kan. with the help of his great family and friends. He's a multi-tasker. #wearebenproud (Posted by Team BMac)

10846510_406509259504343_8879329622359355793_n.jpg

Where did the "Derrick Williams only plays well on national TV thing" come from? His best games for us last season, before the Gay trade,...none of those that I can recall were on national TV?

It was a reference to an episode of Around the Horn from a while back: they were discussing Tiger Woods and Adande said that in order to win tournaments, you have to win tournaments. Which is a nothing statement. He was then, deservedly, roundly mocked by everyone else on the show... because it was a nothing statement.

That was how I read your post: what can we do to win? We can beat them. What is that even supposed to mean?
Thanks for your explanation, and as far as 'meaning', be my guest. If you and I don't know what we're talking about, let us move on.

PS: I read the original post and I see why the confusion. I changed "can" to "CAN", so now it reads like I meant it to.

Last edited:
This is the first game this season I will have to miss. I have a final exam at 8:00 AM EST and I need to be sharp for it.
If the Kings win, I may not watch another game until they lose (which I hope they never lose, lol).

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Just win baby. Don't care how you do it. Cheat if you have to, I don't care. Just win. Blowout, buzzer beater, pay off the refs, just win. There can be absolutely no mistakes from here on out (of course I say that with this observation: Utah, and all but maybe half a dozen teams in the NBA, is probably more talented than us without DeMarcus, so losing isn't really a "mistake").

Last edited:
Jazz are a big team, they will get some offensive rebounds. Hopefully, the Kings will take care of the ball and play solid defense.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Kings just added Reggie to the starting lineup. think that's a good move. been wondering why we didn't put one of our two productive bench guys in there -- we've been trying to fake it with Hollins I guess to give the impression we would defend. but I think we lose so much productivity with Cuz out you need a guy in there who at least has a chance to have a big game, to impact it in some way. Either Carl to score, or Reggie to rebound and up the energy level.

This is an absolute must-win. You only get so many games against bottom-dwellers, and the Kings need to take advantage, even without DMC, if they want to be in playoff contention.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Jazz are a big team, they will get some offensive rebounds. Hopefully, the Kings will take care of the ball and play solid defense.
They're big but not particularly tough up front. One big hit from the Joker might make them tuck their tails between their legs.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Kings just added Reggie to the starting lineup. think that's a good move. been wondering why we didn't put one of our two productive bench guys in there -- we've been trying to fake it with Hollins...
My WAG is because Malone wanted to keep Thompson at power forward, and starting either Evans or Landry shifts him to center.