First Time in Sac

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
There are SOOO many good restaurants in the area. You will really need to further define what you want and your price range. The following is a sampling of local places I can recommend, and I don't even live in Sacramento - others may have tried more places.

Zelda's for Chicago-style pizza
Tower Cafe
Rio City Cafe in Old Sacramento along the river has always been good
Cafeteria 15L makes some delicious stuff (and has fun bathrooms)
Mulvaney's B&L for a really nice dinner out
Crepeville is pretty popular for breakfast
Broderick Roadhouse makes some pretty mean burgers
Momo's Meat Market if you really want to go for some hole-in-the-wall joint type BBQ
Bacon & Butter
If anyone in your party is gluten-free, try Sibling and Pushkins for some grub

and:
Rick's Dessert Diner is a must for, well, dessert after wherever you eat. :D

Best pizza in the area is Old town pizza in roseville and auburn, if you are up for going that far for superior pizza. Beats out every other pizza place. Mark and Monicas here in carmichael is a close 2nd.

Gotta head to the semi hood for excellent mexican food. El Novillero on Franklin blvd.

Best pizza in the area is Old town pizza in roseville and auburn, if you are up for going that far for superior pizza. Beats out every other pizza place. Mark and Monicas here in carmichael is a close 2nd.

Gotta head to the semi hood for excellent mexican food. El Novillero on Franklin blvd.
IMO all the best restaurants in Sac are in the hood. Bomb viet/thai/laos/chinese food in the south area in particular and equally awesome Mexican food to be found.

And sure beats McDonalds, Burger King and all the other fast food burger places in taste and value. Plus, always clean inside with drive-thru efficient, moving along quickly.
I gotta push back on the efficient, fast drive-thru. That sure ain’t the case where I reside. IDK why anybody bothers getting in that ENORMOUSLY long drive-thru line during peak hours when getting your lazy butt out of the car and ordering INSIDE is like 3-4x faster.

My wife and I went on Saturday and the drive-thru was wrapped around the parking lot. We parked, ordered inside and had everything in 11 minutes (I actually timed it). When we left, we noticed that the vehicles that got in line as we arrived had still not reached the point of ordering. That’s crazy to me that people will wait in that mess.

FWIW, as much as we enjoy In N’ Out from time to time, we still prefer The Habit. Also Squeeze Inn is on par. At one point years ago my son and I would opt for Carl’s Jr’s “6-dollar” burgers over it too, but they have since slipped quite a bit to the point that we almost never go there anymore. It’s pretty much only Habit, In N’ Out and Squeeze.

Warhawk

Staff member
Meh, I don't get the adoration for this place. It's....fine. Good for the price, even? I've eaten there many times and will go back as long as there's no lines. But it has a truly bizarre cult following for essentially a "fresher" Big Mac. And you better like that because they don't serve ANYTHING else. No BBQ burgers, not bacon cheeseburgers, no sourdough burgers, no onion rings, or anything. I'm just baffled.

Thanks again guys. I need to see the beam more then anything.
I hope it appears brighter than when we saw it last season. We were disappointed, as we really couldn’t see it from as far away as we had expected.

Supposedly they improved the brightness during the offseason. The lone game I went to this season the KINGS lost so I have yet to see it this season. We’ll be at the game on Friday night so hopefully then!

Warhawk

Staff member
FWIW, as much as we enjoy In N’ Out from time to time, we still prefer The Habit. Also Squeeze Inn is on par. At one point years ago my son and I would opt for Carl’s Jr’s “6-dollar” burgers over it too, but they have since slipped quite a bit to the point that we almost never go there anymore. It’s pretty much only Habit, In N’ Out and Squeeze.
We have a Squeeze near my house and it is my go-to local burger joint. The food (burgers, mainly) is so much better than anything else in the area. Habit is good as well. Carl's Jr. and Burger King Whoppers can be good. Quality can vary, and seems to be somewhat on the decline with these two, unfortunately. They used to be better. But I like their variety a lot more than what you can get elsewhere.

Also, while not "authentic" - I like the fact that Squeeze puts a cheese skirt on the tacos, too. I get the chicken tacos probably 50% of the time I eat there.

Last edited:
Meh, I don't get the adoration for this place. It's....fine. Good for the price, even? I've eaten there many times and will go back as long as there's no lines. But it has a truly bizarre cult following for essentially a "fresher" Big Mac. And you better like that because they don't serve ANYTHING else. No BBQ burgers, not bacon cheeseburgers, no sourdough burgers, no onion rings, or anything. I'm just baffled.
I find it puzzling, too. Never understood the over-fascination. I think it’s more of a reputation thing and growing up in the state. Other states/regions do the same thing with their local brands.

That said, after years and years of not really going to In N’ Out, we oddly and out of nowhere started frequenting it again. I think it was more due to burnout of all the places we’d been going to and it just became a nice change of pace.

Ergo; the reason they are successful. They do one thing…and they do it well.

There are SOOO many good restaurants in the area. You will really need to further define what you want and your price range. The following is a sampling of local places I can recommend, and I don't even live in Sacramento - others may have tried more places.

Zelda's for Chicago-style pizza
Tower Cafe
Rio City Cafe in Old Sacramento along the river has always been good
Cafeteria 15L makes some delicious stuff (and has fun bathrooms)
Mulvaney's B&L for a really nice dinner out
Crepeville is pretty popular for breakfast
Broderick Roadhouse makes some pretty mean burgers
Momo's Meat Market if you really want to go for some hole-in-the-wall joint type BBQ
Bacon & Butter
If anyone in your party is gluten-free, try Sibling and Pushkins for some grub

and:
Rick's Dessert Diner is a must for, well, dessert after wherever you eat. :D

Agree, anywhere near the arena and you get some of the best food. You can even go into old town and eat at a couple bars there who also serve good food late night!

Warhawk

Staff member
Ergo; the reason they are successful. They do one thing…and they do it well.
Making a fairly middling hamburger with essentially no options is not a reason for obsession and crazy long lines. But maybe that's just me? You do you. I'll go where I think the food tastes better.