First preseason practice? Player sightings in town?

When is first pre-season practice? Has the gathering started? Any layer sightings or rumors of guys in town?
Appreciate folks sharing any info theyhave. Players can't get cut unless they show up. Updated roster?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Think we're opening camp in San Diego, and while I don't know what day it opens exactly (oddly unreported that I can find), apparently any team participating in the NBA Global Games can have guys report on Sept. 25th.

And here is something that I did not initially notice about our schedule: I think we are only going to have 40 home games this year, not 41, because we have a MIDSEASON Global Games game against the Celtics on December 3rd, in Mexico City. Which, knowing our luck, will probably be when our early season surge is interrupted when cartel members armed with assault rifles kidnap Boogie and hold him for ransom for the next 6 months.

Anyway, seems likely the early training camp date would be for teams doing the Global Games in preseason since it interrupts your preparation. don't know why they'd let you get started early for a midseason game, but maybe.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
And here is something that I did not initially notice about our schedule: I think we are only going to have 40 home games this year, not 41, because we have a MIDSEASON Global Games game against the Celtics on December 3rd, in Mexico City.
Yep, we only have 40 home games. On the bright side, Boston Celtics fans (probably the worst visiting fans on earth with the possible exception of Lakers fans) have no reason to enter our building this year.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Media day 28th, camp starts 29th seems like the logical schedule.
Yep. Camp at UC San Diego 29th thru 3rd then up to Portland for 1st pre-season game on Monday the 5th. (Ironically, this is same gym where the Dream Team in 1992 practiced before heading to Barcelona.) Then bajaden and I off to Phoenix for 2nd game with Suns on Wednesday 7th.

Pete Youngman was in my store buying a bunch of 5 hour energy drinks last week. The store is right by the Arena and practice facility and I doubt he was tossing all those back himself. Lot's of players have been around and working out together.
As a side note, I think I freaked him out a little at first. I'm sure he has been in that store before, but I just started working there. I don't think many people either A. recognize him B. call him by name or C. start random analytic conversations on the upcoming season while ringing him up. He recovered quickly. Poor Pete, he is as ready for a winning season as the rest of us.

Pete Youngman was in my store buying a bunch of 5 hour energy drinks last week. The store is right by the Arena and practice facility and I doubt he was tossing all those back himself. Lot's of players have been around and working out together.
As a side note, I think I freaked him out a little at first. I'm sure he has been in that store before, but I just started working there. I don't think many people either A. recognize him B. call him by name or C. start random analytic conversations on the upcoming season while ringing him up. He recovered quickly. Poor Pete, he is as ready for a winning season as the rest of us.
What did you guys converse about?

Yep. Camp at UC San Diego 29th thru 3rd then up to Portland for 1st pre-season game on Monday the 5th. (Ironically, this is same gym where the Dream Team in 1992 practiced before heading to Barcelona.) Then bajaden and I off to Phoenix for 2nd game with Suns on Wednesday 7th.
I used to play in that gym! The campus is really nice.

I'll be here in PHX for the game

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Only nine more days till training camp opens. Poor Jason Jones will actually have to go back to work. Sorry Jason, I know it's tough! But hey, a couple of protein drinks, and a good nights sleep, and you'll be good to go. You better keep looking over your shoulder though, Joe Davidson is breathing down your neck.

OK, now that my cheap shot is out of the way, I'm excited about the coming season. More so, than any season in quite a while. I think this team is capable of winning 50 games. Of course everything would have to go perfectly for that to happen, but stranger things have happened. At worse there should be major improvement, which will bring excitement and entertainment. Something that's been lacking in recent years. Right now were in the lull before the storm. We're all bored to death. Hell, I'm even boring myself with my writing. So with that, I'm done! For now.....:rolleyes:

I like it except maybe for the cheap shot for JJ. But I understand it, it is a boring time. Obviously so when videos and photos familiar tall men kick boxing can be so exciting.

It's only fun when they are losing and you can come back with "Come out to Plaaay" Of course, they don't usually chant that when they are bad.

Just in case anyone has not seen "The Warriors" from 1979.

Here is the teaser:

"A turf battle between New York City street gangs that rages from Coney Island to the Bronx. The Warriors are mistakenly fingered for the killing of a gang leader. Soon they have every gang in the city out to get revenge and they must make their way across the city to their own turf."

Speaking of Kings practices, if you sign a kid up (age 6-14) for the KingsNEXT camp on October 11, it includes entry for two adults per kid to a Kings practice immediately following the camp that day. So they say. Nice opportunity to see a practice like the old days as those haven't been open for a number of years. Plus each kid gets a shirt and headband plus being coached by Kings coaches at Sleep Train for $30 and you also then get a $30 voucher to be used at another training. I'll be there with my nieces and nephew. :)

http://www.nba.com/kings/next