Does Vivek picture Hield as next Curry?

So if this is true, Vivek really thinks Hield will at least be as big a star player as Cousins. Basically if no "shooter" was offered, Vivek would've said no till the end.

Honestly, none of the rumored deals were good enough to get the best center in the world who is only 26 yrs old and loves the city he was playing for. But we ended up picking one of the worse.

LA espn radio was talking about the Lakers willing to include both Randle and Russell + a later 1st rounder they were trying to get for Lou Williams. Russell as this point is > Hield. Randle will likely be better than anyone Vlade will draft with the Pelicans pick.

Guys all over the national sports radio this morning were just mockign Vlade's interview line by line on how dumb he was to actually not know that agents will try to block trades to protect their client and their pocket.
Would you guys just stop with this crap about Vivek believing that Hield will be the next Steph Curry? I'm not happy with Vlade or Vivek, or with what we got in return for Cousins. But thinking this trade was all about Vivek and his belief that Hield will be as big a superstar as Cousins or Curry is just bat-chit-crazy. Show some proof if you've got it. Otherwise, there are better conspiracy theories to hang your hat on.

Would you guys just stop with this crap about Vivek believing that Hield will be the next Steph Curry? I'm not happy with Vlade or Vivek, or with what we got in return for Cousins. But thinking this trade was all about Vivek and his belief that Hield will be as big a superstar as Cousins or Curry is just bat-chit-crazy. Show some proof if you've got it. Otherwise, there are better conspiracy theories to hang your hat on.

Read more of my other posts and those of other people. Also, reread the post that you quoted. I said "If". Its a matter of discussion but there are many many reasons why this was a dirt poor regardless of whether Vivek believes Buddy is the next Curry which is not far off considering Vivek's history.

Read more of my other posts and those of other people. Also, reread the post that you quoted. I said "If". Its a matter of discussion but there are many many reasons why this was a dirt poor regardless of whether Vivek believes Buddy is the next Curry which is not far off considering Vivek's history.
How about you reread my post? I quoted your post, but I addressed multiple posters ("you guys") because I was responding to the swell of posts that are suggesting that the trade was due in part to Vivek's love for Hield. And I just think that's weak and that "you guys" can do better.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
How about you reread my post? I quoted your post, but I addressed multiple posters ("you guys") because I was responding to the swell of posts that are suggesting that the trade was due in part to Vivek's love for Hield. And I just think that's weak and that "you guys" can do better.
Okay, you both misread something in the other's post. It's over. Let it go... :)

Actually this trade did very likely go down in part because of vivek's love for buddy. No other way to put it because he must sign off on it. If you followed the kings since vivek took over you would know his love for a "shooter". Given his history, it's more like you need to prove otherwise.

It's an attempt to clown Vivek, like Arnovitz suggestion Vivek wished for Westbrook in FA

Reporters taking a shot at the easy target for giggles IMO

A front-office source familiar with the Kings' thinking said owner Vivek Ranadive's adoration of Hield was a key driver in the deal. "Vivek thinks Buddy has Steph Curry potential," the source told ESPN's Baxter Holmes.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...etter-demarcus-cousins-trade-offer-2-days-ago

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
who's to say that someone in the front office didn't suggest that to Vivek in order to give them the OK to trade Cousins. Fill his head with nonsense since he loves surrounding himself with individuals who are smarter than he is.

A front-office source familiar with the Kings' thinking said owner Vivek Ranadive's adoration of Hield was a key driver in the deal. "Vivek thinks Buddy has Steph Curry potential," the source told ESPN's Baxter Holmes.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...etter-demarcus-cousins-trade-offer-2-days-ago
That story about Vivek's infatuation with Buddy Hield has no credible source. I would even go so far as to doubt whether a real person actually told Baxter Holmes what he relayed about Vivek's thinking. That story also fits the national media's tired narrative about Vivek being stupid, which is the 2nd red flag for me!
But make no mistake, I would love to see Vivek fired as the managing partner of the Kings. He's had his chance and he hasn't improved the team chances of success on the court. With Vlade I'm on the fence, but after the Cousins trade, I'm leaning toward wanting him gone, too. Especially with the way the trade was handled. So it's not like I'm trying to defend Vivek or Vlade! I just find this Vivek+Buddy story to be a bit too fishy for me. But if it smells good to you, to each his own.

Would not surprise me if Vivek thinks this. He is obsessed with 3PT shooters. McLemore, Stauskas, Hield all have one thing in common, long range shooters with limited game. There is an old saying that applies to this team, "If you try to be too smart, you will outsmart yourself!"

The franchise and those leading it are trying to be way too smart to they point where they are just dumb as rocks.

That story about Vivek's infatuation with Buddy Hield has no credible source. I would even go so far as to doubt whether a real person actually told Baxter Holmes what he relayed about Vivek's thinking. That story also fits the national media's tired narrative about Vivek being stupid, which is the 2nd red flag for me!
But make no mistake, I would love to see Vivek fired as the managing partner of the Kings. He's had his chance and he hasn't improved the team chances of success on the court. With Vlade I'm on the fence, but after the Cousins trade, I'm leaning toward wanting him gone, too. Especially with the way the trade was handled. So it's not like I'm trying to defend Vivek or Vlade! I just find this Vivek+Buddy story to be a bit too fishy for me. But if it smells good to you, to each his own.
I agree that people need a healthy dose of skepticism when they read these various narratives.

I don't think Vivek really believes Buddy Heild is the next Steph Curry, but at the same time I do think Vivek thinks every young shooter is maybe the next Steph Curry. Vivek like an excitable child who thinks every pop fly is a home run when it leaves the bat.

There is no "next Steph Curry" - as much as I hate his guts (and I do) he is rewriting the book on shooting the basketball. Steph Curry = Ted Williams - just a sick mad scientist at his craft. There ain't no "next one" coming through that door.

If Buddy Heild becomes JJ Redick and Vlade drafts well at lets say 15 and 35 in the supposedly "rich draft"... and meanwhile DeMarcus makes the unibrow cry and wet his pants, well I have no choice but to hope for that. I'm staying with Vlade, Dave, and the Kings.

And I'd love to see Vivek ousted too

Did anyone notice that the Kings just re-created the potent 2016 Oklahoma Sooners starting backcourt.

It won't be long until we see Isaiah Cousins and Buddy Hield backcourt for the Kings!

I think if Hield's plays up to his potential, his floor would be Eric Gordon or JJ Reddick.

If plays up to his absolute crazy potential, his ceiling is James Harden.

But thinking this trade was all about Vivek and his belief that Hield will be as big a superstar as Cousins or Curry is just bat-chit-crazy.
I don't have a horse in this race, but the theory is probably an easier sell since most of us remember owners telling us how Tyreke was going to be MUCH better than Curry. That really lowers the bar when it comes to bat-chit.

BTW, hello to all you old timers, whether staying or departing. You're a good bunch of people.

I agree that people need a healthy dose of skepticism when they read these various narratives.

I don't think Vivek really believes Buddy Heild is the next Steph Curry, but at the same time I do think Vivek thinks every young shooter is maybe the next Steph Curry. Vivek like an excitable child who thinks every pop fly is a home run when it leaves the bat.

There is no "next Steph Curry" - as much as I hate his guts (and I do) he is rewriting the book on shooting the basketball. Steph Curry = Ted Williams - just a sick mad scientist at his craft. There ain't no "next one" coming through that door.

If Buddy Heild becomes JJ Redick and Vlade drafts well at lets say 15 and 35 in the supposedly "rich draft"... and meanwhile DeMarcus makes the unibrow cry and wet his pants, well I have no choice but to hope for that. I'm staying with Vlade, Dave, and the Kings.

And I'd love to see Vivek ousted too
I think Galt is nailing it here- Vivek is chasing a trend and playing "follow the leader" when the leader happens to be a generational fluke (Curry + Klay). Warriors have done well in managing around those two, so maybe there's something in that organization to model, but it is insane to try recreate GSW's talent on the floor instead of figuring out whatever front office management principles are working for them.

Which leads me back to Sixers. Getting Hinkie and his team in would be amazing. Maybe Hinkie could get through to Vivek on this if he came on next. The thing that I like the most about Hinkie (beyond smart asset management) is his attitude of "we zig while they zag" and willfully not following NBA trends. He knows that a GM can't try to just assemble a knock-off contender, but has to put the franchise in position to build assets and find young talent and then build around it. I would love to see Hinkie here, as bringing something like "The Process" to Sacramento is probably the only way to build towards a sustainable future for the team, given our lack of bankable young talent and unfettered first round picks.

He also has that TED Talk / Silicon Valley / "smartest guy in the room" thing going on - which obviously is mostly BS and not needed in NBA, but it may be the only thing that will get Vivek to sit his but down and step out of the way of someone he *actually* respects. PDA was in that mold but didn't have the credentials. Vivek probably doesn't know how to make heads or tails of who Vlade is and what he brings to the table.

Last edited:
Which leads me back to Sixers. Getting Hinkie and his team in would be amazing. Maybe Hinkie could get through to Vivek on this if he came on next. The thing that I like the most about Hinkie (beyond smart asset management) is his attitude of "we zig while they zag" and willfully not following NBA trends. He knows that a GM can't try to just assemble a knock-off contender, but has to put the franchise in position to build assets and find young talent and then build around it. I would love to see Hinkie here, as bringing something like "The Process" to Sacramento is probably the only way to build towards a sustainable future for the team, given our lack of bankable young talent and unfettered first round picks.
Hinkie's "process" was basically to tank and tank some more. That is not even watchable basketball there. He had the "process" going for some 4-5+ years? and where are the 76er franchise now? He left the 76ers with 4 power forwards/centers on a roster with multiple top 4 picks in the last 4-5 years.

I would rather get a GM that can construct a winning team with what they have to work with. Not someone who only knows how to tank and get draft pick, but can't construct a team properly.

There were multiple GM's with experience, that Vivek passed on to hire Vlade and I am sure there are qualified ones still out there.

Vlade is in way over his head as President and GM of an NBA team. Since he probably isn't leaving anytime soon, how about Vivek hire a real GM and just have Vlade be President.

Sean CunninghamVerified account‏@SeanCunningham 26m26 minutes ago

In his 2 games in Sacramento as a member of the Pelicans, Buddy Hield said Kings owner Vivek Ranadive would say: 'we're still gonna get you'

-------------------------------------
Oh, good grief. Pretty sure that didn't impact the negotiations. Insert face palm emoji of choice here...

Basically, what I think this came down to was the FO wanted to deal Boogie for months and Vivek only allowed it because he loves Buddy. Had the FO not stumbled upon one of Vivek's "favs", I don't think a deal gets done. I don't think the FO really cared much what they got back, they just wanted him gone in any way possible. Just the perfect storm of incompetence from everyone really.

Basically, what I think this came down to was the FO wanted to deal Boogie for months and Vivek only allowed it because he loves Buddy. Had the FO not stumbled upon one of Vivek's "favs", I don't think a deal gets done. I don't think the FO really cared much what they got back, they just wanted him gone in any way possible. Just the perfect storm of incompetence from everyone really.
Sean CunninghamVerified account‏@SeanCunningham 26m26 minutes ago

In his 2 games in Sacramento as a member of the Pelicans, Buddy Hield said Kings owner Vivek Ranadive would say: 'we're still gonna get you'

-------------------------------------
Oh, good grief. Pretty sure that didn't impact the negotiations. Insert face palm emoji of choice here...
Embarrassing really Vivek needs to be removed we just traded Boogie for a ****ing SG who can't create. I'm still in awe

Worst owner in the league. Worst asset management. Absolute tragedy.
To what end ? I mean we win now but it all counts for nothing when you are missmanaged like this steming from the disillusioned beliefs of our ownership and FO.

Ben will probably be re - signed off the back of two decent shooting nights and we'll trade WCS while his value is high for another shooter

It's hard to support anything but the players when you have mad men running the show. Thank God Jaeger hasn't walked