Dave joerger on vertical podcast with Chris Mannix

Poor Dave .. everyone asks him the same questions .. he pretty much had to give about 10-15 almost identical interviews :) ... I think he cannot wait to actually start working and talking real basketball stuff instead of answering "why Sacramento?".

Ya, more of the same. But it's very evident that he and Vlade see eye to eye. Vlade has sold him on his vision, he has bought in, now they need to execute it. I also like that he is realistic that this isn't going to be a 55 win team next year.

They talked about Rondo briefly. He said he liked Rondo and Rondo is a good floor general with the right players around him. Not sure what to make of that.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, nothing earth shattering in this interview but it was nice to hear him touch on many of the same points.

And coming from a coach that seemingly liked to poke at his players through the media I think it gives the impression (to me at least) that Joerger is the kind of coach to keep things behind closed doors. Certainly friendly to the media but not giving a lot away.

I have heard from a few different guys, Hamm being the main one, that he is very difficult to deal with for the media. I think that might be a good thing. Meaning he isn't an open book airing dirty laundry. Karl couldn't wait to get interviewed to tell everyone what he was thinking and who did what wrong on his team.

I have heard from a few different guys, Hamm being the main one, that he is very difficult to deal with for the media. I think that might be a good thing. Meaning he isn't an open book airing dirty laundry. Karl couldn't wait to get interviewed to tell everyone what he was thinking and who did what wrong on his team.
That and defense (or lackthereof) were Karl's undoing, even more so than his fondness for smallball. I don't know why he would say things to the media that would make his players not trust him. It's like he had an addiction and couldn't get over it.

One thing I liked about Joerger in Memphis is that he likes length. Part of it is probably due to his roster but he is not afraid of playing big, in fact he did it very often. If the OKC-GSW series is proving anything is that smallball is not going to work against genuine length and strong defense. The Warriors are rattled by OKC and their length.

I love how professional he is when describing the past. Doesn't throw anyone under the bus, has nothing but positive things to say about Memphis, and very positive but measured in how he anticipates working with DMC. I don't think there's any great mystery about where he's coming from in his expectations, and I like that assuredness. I also like that he's neither groveling to ingratiate himself to Cousins nor showboating for the media with tough talk...just moving forward with his own authentic leadership.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Joerger loves WCS. He and some other FO folks around the league think Willie can become a primetime player. We may end up having the best front line of this generation.
Wasn't it Bird who referred to WCS as a 100 million dollar prospect, or something along those lines?

I agree though, WCS and Cuz have insane potential as a big man duo. Vlade knows this, and I think that's why he brought in a coach who knows this. ... As opposed to Karl, who may not have even known what city he was in half the time.