Crime at the line. "Surging" Fakers 9-1 in L10.

For the last couple months we were analyzing our chances to get to 6th (or better) place in the conference. Lakers? They were locked in in their battle for the 9-11 places.
Suddenly - the surge. Everybody knows how games with LBJ are called. Still, I spent some time browsing through their last 10 games and oh boy... Some games lifted refs bias to the next level.

At first I'll break down their last 10 games, then will be some "interesting and pretty unique" stats. I'll begin with the first game out of the L10, LAL vs ATL on March 18th:

03/18 LAL(W) vs ATL 136-105. LAL FTs 17/20, PF 15. ATL FTs 12/15, PF 14. +3 in points from the line.
03/22 LAL(W) vs PHI 101-94. LAL FTs 25/33, PF 16. PHI FTs 20/24, PF 23. After 3 Qs PHI was ahead 76-75 though :) +5 in points from the line.
For everyone, who likes numbers, next 3 games will be fun:
03/24 LAL(W) vs IND 150-145. LAL FTs 38/43 (starters 32/34), PF 14. IND FTs 9/16, PF 31............................ +29 points in FTs made in 5 points win :)
03/26 LAL(W) at MIL 128-124(2OT). LAL FTs 30/32 (starters 28/29), PF 13. MIL FTs 11/17, PF 26. LAL managed to "outscore" Bucks and tie the game in the 4th, winning it 27-13. +19 in points from the line against running and dunking Giannis team on the road :)
These 2 games against Pacers at home and Bucks on the road LAL won by combined 9 points while making 48!!! more free throws. Is this basketball or what???
03/27 LAL(W) at MEM (8 home Ws at that time) 136-124. LAL FTs 28/35, PF 19. MEM FTs 15/19, PF 23. Even against lowly Grizzlies LAL were "awarded" with 16 more FTAs, getting +13 more points and winning +12. It was B2B for the LAL, some insurance had to be provided. +13 points from the line.
03/29 LAL(L) at IND 90-109. LAL FTs 15/18, PF 14. IND FTs 13/14, PF 14. Sure, the loss here and there for the circus to keep rolling. +2 LAL points from the line.
03/29 LAL(W) at BKN(17 home Ws at the time) 116-104. After first half LAL were ahead 67-44. LAL FTs 17/22, PF 15. BKN FTs 14/19, PF 17. +3 LAL PFTL
04/02 LAL(W) at tanking TOR 128-111. LAL FTs 15/21, PF 19. TOR FTs 6/12. PF 17
Next one is "funny" again:
04/03 LAL(W) at WAS(7-32 home record at the time) 125-120. LAL FTs 25/29, AD alone with 15/15 :), PF 10 (exceptional defense, right?) WAS FTs 12/13, PF 22. +13 points from the line.
04/06 LAL(W) vs CLE 116-97. LAL FTs 10/16, PF 12. CLE FTs 8/12, PF 11. +2 LAL PFTL.

Quick summary: in all of their L10 games LAL were awarded more trips to the line and scored more points from the line.

In 3 contested Ws, home W against Pacers 150-145, road Ws against Bucks 128-124 and Washington 125-120, LAL went to the line 58 times more and made 61 more free throws than opponents, winning those games by combined 14 points. Total bonus per game - almost 15 points.

I don't understand some things. In Euroleague games are called pretty fair. Refs can review plays on their own choice, if they are not sure what call to make. Coaches and players are more free to comment about the game.
Americans are so proud about the freedom of speech and liberal capitalist economy, but I don't see anything like that with the regards to the NBA.
No need to go deeper. It's fun to watch Euroleague for me, because between to equal opponents every possession matters. Less than 10 seconds left, team id down by a point, but the player has to go to the line for 2 free throws? My heart starts pounding. If both free throws are made - the game is not over. 1 FT made? Defensive stand has to be made. Both FTs missed? Foul other team immediately. And so on. Fake Ws always leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Last edited:
Lakers last team in drives first team in free throw differentials this season, the previous season and the season before that. In that no call at Boston that Lebron was fouled (that was hard to see "live", was a foul though) it was devastating with the NBA as marketing, sleepless refs announcement and so on. In so many other cases that this happened this season (not only with the Kings, in general) there was nothing besides the L2M. If God forbids there is a dubious call/no call against the Lakers again by the end of the season or in the playoffs I guess there will be a rematch after or the league will be suspended.
For the Lakers knowing that they have this option helping them the whole past 3 years, is a mental boost. Memphis last season with Brooks poking the bear etc couldn't play against them as hard in defense as they usually did and they got slaughtered. All it takes are a few whistles in the first minutes to set the tone and the opponent is mentally broken. But yeah we should stop blaming the refs.

With Lebron OUT and Davis poked in the eye early and playing only 12 minutes, Lakers shot 32 free throws against the best defense in the league (statistically speaking at least), while Minnesota had only 14 attempts from the line. Still they lost, somehow perhaps we want Lakers to be tied with us if a 3rd or 4th team will also have the same record with the Kings at the end of the season, but ok let's win our matches and don't care about the others.

With Lebron OUT and Davis poked in the eye early and playing only 12 minutes, Lakers shot 32 free throws against the best defense in the league (statistically speaking at least), while Minnesota had only 14 attempts from the line. Still they lost, somehow perhaps we want Lakers to be tied with us if a 3rd or 4th team will also have the same record with the Kings at the end of the season, but ok let's win our matches and don't care about the others.
Lakers had no chance in this game against Wolves without LBJ. Yet refs have a chronic disease - no matter the score or team Lakers play against, they just keep exhaling when anybody in Lakers uniform has the ball.

I want to point out another BIG issue. With Lakers going so much time to the line, the whole game rhythm favors them A LOT. Players get more rest, substitutions are adjusted accordingly.

Overall, reffing is a big stain on the NBA. Concepts of "game developing certain way" and alike - well, with the support some teams and players get, young talent is forced to develop slower. Sure, maybe 70%-80% or more people who follow NBA have little clue about the rules and other aspects of the game. For the hard core, honest game lovers - it's a travesty.