Chase Budinger

What would you all think if the Kings could get Chase Budinger via trade? Who would we trade? I say try to trade JT or something maybe get a PF too? Please post your thoughts. The Timberwolves are shopping him right now.

Sure.

Not much use for him really but if they'll take Landry then make that deal.

Nothing against Budinger per se but for any player that I'm not all that enthused about the Kings trading for my stock answer will be, "sure, if they'll take Landry".

If Derrick Williams and/or Ben McLemore are dealt then Budinger is a serviceable 3rd SF (behind Casspi) and a weak but not horrific backup SG. So I could see it as part of a larger move. But as the roster stands now I can't see who he'd get minutes ahead of and he's owed $5 million with a player option for the same next year.

K

KingMilz

I don't think Budinger is better than either Nik or Ben or Casspi or Williams and giving up JT to get him..............getting Bud only makes us worse unless Dieng is in the trade with Bud than that makes things interesting.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I mean he is a decent three point shooter but that's it? I'll pass on this one unless you can unload Landry or Williams then I'm for it. Otherwise just another lateral move.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I've always liked Budinger, and make no mistake, he's a pretty good basketball player when healthy. Therein lies the the problem. In the past three seasons he's played in 122 games out of a possible 246 games. The reason he hasn't done much is because he's on the disabled list more than he is the active list. He was having his best year in the NBA his last year in Houston, averaging 44% overall and 40% from the three, and then he got injured. And for the most part, he's been off and on injured ever since. It's a shame because he's a terrific athlete, but he's not very durable. I agree with Funky, if they'll take Landry straight up, then I'd do the deal. I'd go for Williams straight up as well, but I doubt that Minny wants him back. Budinger, when healthy, is a better basketball player than Williams.

I wouldn't mind it, but I don't think see a deal that fits. I doubt Minnesota would want Landry considering they're starting to rebuild. They have a lot of messed up pieces and players who don't compliment each other, but I don't think the Kings can help them with any of that. Ray McCallum would offer them little to none because they already have Rubio and Barrea.. don't forget they want to make LaVine into a pg too. I just can't see a trade..even if it was for Budigner.

They need depth at PF/C, but we need our pieces too. If we trade JT for Budinger, we're f'd. I think the Kings should look towards better PF/C options.

K

KingMilz

Budinger for Landry or Williams. Maybe Budinger can change his style of play like Vince Carter, becoming more of a threat from the 3 point line.
That's what he's been his entire NBA career, even though he is/was explosive he never really used it kind of like Patrick Patterson in that sense where when you watch them play they appear average athletes than all of a sudden sky out of the building on one play when they feel like it.

His career average is .357 from three and his last two seasons are .350 in 13/14 and .321 in 12/13. To put this in perspective, Omri Casspi has a career average of.352 while shooting .347 in 13/14 and .329 in 12/13.

Only if they wanted Landry. I'd trade him for a less expensive corpse, and Chase assuming he picks up his option saves us a year of contract woe, and is less expensive the next two seasons.

As Baja has pointed out Budinger has been injured for large parts of the last two seasons. I remember a couple seasons ago while he was a Rocket we would have all wanted Budinger as the SF. Now not so much unless it is just to clear out a contract such as Landry's.

Speaking of Landry if he returns to form as a solid scorer and scrappy defender his value is more than Budinger IMO.