Can Kings owner Vivek Ranadivé make Sacramento a new home for NHL’s Phoenix Coyotes?

No, I don't want Phoenix's garbage. If Ranadive truly wants to bring hockey to Sacramento, he should push for an expansion team, and settle with nothing less.
The only way Sacramento would get an NHL team is if somebody(Vivek) buys a franchise and moves it over here.

Sacramento would not be on a list for potential expansion teams.

Their arena isn’t currently structured to accommodate NHL hockey and it isn’t really like there is a proven market for hockey either. Not like Soccer.

There is also the fact that Sacramento is considered “Sharks territory” in regards to TV deals and that would kill any expansion talk in the crib. Not so much if the owner of the team wanted to relocate.

So let’s go ahead and entertain Phoenix’s trash if we’re interested in adding another pro sports franchise.

I think any hope that Sacramento Republic FC will become MLS were dashed last week when San Diego was announced as I think the 31st MLS team. Baseball and Football aren’t happening. NHL is probably the final plausible addition…and that’s only by Vivek or another group of Sacramento investors buy a franchise with low interest(I’ve been hearing about Coyotes moving since before the Kings were supposed to move) and move it over here.

Last edited:
The only way Sacramento would get an NHL team is if somebody(Vivek) buys a franchise and moves it over here.

Sacramento would not be on a list for potential expansion teams.
I've read otherwise...You're most likely correct, though, in that NHL in Sacramento would most likely happen by way of a relocation. Maybe said franchise can relocate, and part of the relocation deal is that the new ownership asks to have an "Expansion Draft" so the franchise can truly hit the reset button, and start all over again...:p:p:p

I know, wishful thinking!!!

If G1C isn’t built to accommodate a hockey rink w/o obstructed views, this sounds like a non-starter to me.

So much for Randive future-proofing an arena built 7 years ago. I thought he was always the smartest, most forward thinking, tech savvy guy in the room? :rolleyes: Didn’t think about possibly hosting hockey one day, huh?

I would totally be on board with landing any major pro franchise this city could get. As a Sharks fan, I’d still welcome the Coyotes (as long as we re-named them). I just don’t see how it could happen if the arena can’t easily accommodate.

This may not be a “hockey town” but it wasn’t a basketball town when the KINGS moved here. It was a baseball town, first and foremost. It became a basketball town over time and though having a team of its own.

The same could possibly happen with hockey, but the potential issue I see beyond the arena is that NBA and NHL seasons largely overlap.

I think baseball would work A LOT better. It‘s just sad there’s no steam behind the A’s relocating to SAC rather than Vegas. They belong in NorCal. SAC has always been a baseball town. While it’s clearly more a “Giants town” than A’s, largely due to the Giants success from the early 2000’s through 2014, but historically both teams have had very good followings.

If the A’s moved to SAC they’d have an immediately fan base in SAC (albeit smaller than the Giants), along with their remaining fan base in the East Bay and surrounding areas such as Stockton, Modesto, etc. Then they’d likely gain fans from Redding, Tahoe, Truckee, Reno, etc, where those fans would be a few hours closer than the Bay. The KINGS pulled in fans from those areas over the years as well.

When the KINGS moved to SAC, there were a lot of Lakers and Warriors fans here. But as time went by and more young kids born, they built up and grew a larger fan base. Same would happen for the A’s here.

It just makes too much sense not happen. But alas, it’s not. And Vegas will add another team quickly becoming saturated with teams.

We should have an MLS team already, but that lame association moved the goalposts one too many times so that Burkle decided to pull out when the cost kept getting bigger and bigger.

I wish SAC could have made a play for the Chargers, but their ownership foolishly wanted to be in LA with no fanbase. Neither the Rams nor Chargers seem to draw more fans than their opposition most games. IDK why anyone really thought a long time Raiders rival would be accepted in LA — which is still widely a Raiders town. Those fans drive 4 hours to Vegas every weekend the Raiders have a home game.

Same argument could be made about the Chargers in SAC, differences are the Raiders never called SAC home, SAC is largely a Niners town, and fans here are an 8+ hour drive from Vegas. Also, with Chargers being an AFC team and the Raiders being gone made the fan acceptance and transition here much more of a possibility.

Honestly, SAC aside, the NFL got that whole revolving chairs situation completely wrong. The Raiders should have moved back to LA with the Rams and the Chargers to Vegas (if they really couldn’t make things work in San Diego).

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
IWe should have an MLS team already, but that lame association moved the goalposts one too many times so that Burkle decided to pull out when the cost kept getting bigger and bigger.
It's unfortunate that when the Republic was founded they thought it would be easy. They wanted to emulate the Portland model which they mostly did. They built one of the best USL supporters groups in the game and a very good squad to boot. Unfortunately what they may have missed was Portland had the best supporters group in USL for about a decade and got passed over multiple times. MLS has its eyes on expansion money, TV and glamour. I think they f'd up big time with the tv and their apple deal and the league may struggle now that it's in Apple's walled garden. They did some good things like standardizing game days and start times (for the most part), but that also means the Apple package has no value outside of people buying to watch their team. And since STH are given a free sub, I am not sure how many more subs they will pull in. I think this is going to harm the league, but hey, I could be wrong. Still, TV money is everything.

Republic would do well to invest in building for non USL competition like USOC and a future champions league. There is ZERO reason MLS has to be the top of the US Soccer pyramid. There are plenty of entities that would welcome a different league becoming our top flight. I think many in Portland would as well as we are sick of Merritt Paulson and the vagueries of MLS rules as well as Don Garber's failure to discpline Merritt Paulson for all the sexual abuse and harassment he allowed under his stewardship of the Portland MLS and NWSL franchises.

Yeah, the Knights winning the cup in only their 6th year of existence pretty much solidifies my one and only request that, if Sacramento were to ever get an NHL team, it better be an expansion team. Especially if the NHL is going to move forward with the same BS expansion draft rules set forth for Vegas, Seattle, and most likely the next expansion team (or two expansion teams - Houston, most likely, and TBD).

Also, don't think, for one second, that I'd be happy if that is how Sacramento gets a team. I DESPISE the expansion draft rules in the NHL. So. Freaking. Stupid. Idiot Bettman is pretty much saying "Hey, new team(s), we're going to give you a shot to contend right out of the gate, because I am asking the current NHL teams to all leave a good chunk of their roster unprotected in the expansion draft". If that is the way he wants to play the game, I will live with being one of the beneficiaries of it, but I most certainly won't be too thrilled about being handed the cup because the league just wants us to compete right out of the gate. I want to be able to EARN that cup, even if it means having a crappy team for many years before we taste postseason success. I'd feel much better about it.

Hopefully, my wishes come true with the next CBA, during which a revamp of the expansion draft rules will be discussed, and agreed upon.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Expansion drafts have always sucked. I'm not sure how the NHL did things this last go round, but did they give the teams extra salary cap flexibility too? They got top 3 draft picks? Vegas was good out of the gate but Eichel sure seems to have helped too. One of my favorite BU players ever and of course winds up helping a team the Maloofs are minority owners with hoist a cup I am going to puke now.

Expansion drafts have always sucked. I'm not sure how the NHL did things this last go round, but did they give the teams extra salary cap flexibility too? They got top 3 draft picks? Vegas was good out of the gate but Eichel sure seems to have helped too. One of my favorite BU players ever and of course winds up helping a team the Maloofs are minority owners with hoist a cup I am going to puke now.
Teams were able to protect seven forwards, three defensemen and one goalie, or eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goalie.

In addition, all NHL teams had to meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the draft:

* One defenseman who a) was under contract during the next season and b) played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

* Two forwards who a) were under contract during the next season and b) played at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

* One goalie who was under contract during the next season or would've be a restricted free agent at the end of his contract immediately prior to the next season. If a team elects to make a restricted free agent goalie available to meet this requirement, that goalie must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the team's protected list.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Teams were able to protect seven forwards, three defensemen and one goalie, or eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goalie.

In addition, all NHL teams had to meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the draft:

* One defenseman who a) was under contract during the next season and b) played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

* Two forwards who a) were under contract during the next season and b) played at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

* One goalie who was under contract during the next season or would've be a restricted free agent at the end of his contract immediately prior to the next season. If a team elects to make a restricted free agent goalie available to meet this requirement, that goalie must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the team's protected list.
that is wild, so if a team had two defensive pairs they wanted to keep intact, they could only protect 4 forwards? yikes.