Emerging today was a story (a dubious story with a source originally in a Polish newspaper) that the Celtics might be trying to line up a play for Marcin Gortat. This likely a fallout of some perception he may welcome a move after his comments about Alvin Gentry ignoring him on offense.
Well, got me thinking. If Marcin Gortat WERE out there, we are certainly a team with assets to easily outpoint any offer the Celtics could make (the implied offers were picks + kids, and maybe an ender (Sarver being cheap of course).
Gortat is still on a very reasonable salary: $7.3 this year, $7.7 next year. His arrival would of course mean Boogie would have to shift back to PF, with JT and Hayes off the bench. Minutes would get squeezed, but it would also become just about the biggest, roughest frontcourt in the league.
Expendable pieces I could see them interested in:
1) Cisco (ender, just to match salaries);
2) IT (cheap could be ender + backup PG/change of pace guy in their running system, think they were high on him);
3) Jimmer (maybe: could gun in the run n gun);
4) TRob (maybe, another undersized PF to go with their stable, including the guy who used to start over him at Kansas, but high pick + could thrive in run n gun)
5) our #1 this season (with this trade we would presumably be angling to make it a #10+ rather than a #1 to #5)
(note, Brooks failed in their sytem 2 years ago, they would not be interested there)
other pieces they could like that I would call off limits:
1) Reke (ender, fills their weakest position)
2) Johnson (ender, so they might have na interest, but I woudln't want to give up on him just yet, since the idea would be to accumulate more defenders, not swap one for the next)
Thornton, Thompson, Hayes, Salmosn are all vets with ongoing contracts, so despite potentially filling their SG spot, or covering the hole left by Gortat's departure, if they are looking for enders and cheap kids, they would not fit. Which is fine by me.
Could you actually get him wiht a TRob/IT package? What about an IT/Cisco/#1 package? TRob, Jimmer + 2nd? I don't know. But a Gortat/Cousins/Thomposn/Hayes frontcourt would be formidable and able to match up with anyone. Reke getting increasing PG minutes could fill any shortage there. Problems are that one of TRob/JT or Hayes would ahve to go, either as part of the deal (TRob) or in a separate deal. Just no time even for 4 guys, let alone 5. Problem #2 is that Gortat wants more shots than he's getting, and he's getting more than JT already. So unless we trade enough of our chuckers for him, it could add even more shot stress to our linueps. IT and TRob would be a decent setoff, or Jimmer in there somewhere, but those guys are all benche guys restraining themslves a bit. Gortat would start. Brooks/Salmons would have to be very good about not shooting going forward.
sample in a TRob/IT scenario. Lot of size/maybe good mix of offense/defense. Worth it?